Chapter 26: Limits

"So are you two going to homecoming?" Veronica places her hands on the table looking at you and Sweet Pea. "It is coming up in two weeks."
"Two weeks?" You ask, has the time gone past that quick? And, was Pea not going to ask you to homecoming? You didn't go to any dances last year, but you only figured that it was because it was early in the relationship. Maybe you were wrong.
"Yeah," Archie nods. "Surprised that you didn't know... Since, you're a cheerleader, work the Blue and Gold, and I am pretty sure you're on the ballot for king and queen."
"Of course up against muah and my red paladin," Veronica smiled at you. "Have you not checked your email?"
"No... I haven't been on in weeks. I've been studying a lot," you shrug. "I guess I am going to have to get on."
"So, what color were you thinking?" Veronica asked.
"I haven't even thought about it," You laugh.
Sweet Pea POV————————————————
Shit. I didn't think that I had to ask her to homecoming. How do I even ask? She is definitely going to want to go, now that Veronica and Andrews brought it up. I'm gonna have to talk to Toni. This is going to either be great, or she is going to see right through me.
"Hey... I will be back," I kiss her cheek before getting up.
"Where are you going?" Y/N's eyes locked with mine.
"Just to talk to Toni," I smile at her. "See you in class." She nods, but confusion still set in her eyes. I walk off, trying to find the pink haired girl. "Topaz!" She turns.
"What's wrong? You look like you're sick," she asked. "Did Fangs show you affection again?"
"This is serious," I roll my eyes. "Y/N is on the homecoming ballot."
"I know," she flips her brown and pink hair. "I voted for her. What's wrong with that?"
"I didn't ask her to go, for one," I say. "I don't even know how to ask her... Usually, when we make like decisions, it's in a secluded place. Where we both are in a sentimental mood. I asked her to move in with me, right after I gave her my grandmothers ring. And, you should've seen the sparkle in her eye when she found out. She was so excited. I want to see that again."
"Really?" She laughed a little. "I mean it's cute, honestly. I never thought I would hear those words come from you. And, Y/N told me the story about the ring and moving in... I still need caught up though... Is this because you don't know how to ask her or are you scared to ask. Or, is it like you don't want to mess up anything?"
"Of course I am not scared," I roll my eyes. "I'm not afraid of anything."
"Okay..." She scoffs. "You're afraid of children."
"I am not afraid of them," I correct. "I am afraid of tripping over them because they are literally the size of a football."
"My niece wanted to give you a flower and you couldn't say anything to her. You didn't even let her hand touch yours," she crossed her arms.
"Can we just get back to the actual problem?" I was quickly growing agitated. "What if it's all of the above?"
"Well... You came to the right girl," she smiled. "For one, you shouldn't be afraid of messing anything up. She's still with you, and your ego is taller than Mount Everest. Second of all, I know showing affection towards someone is scary, but I've never seen you more comfortable with anyone. Not even Fangs. So, when you ask her, it won't be as hard. Trust me, I asked Cheryl and I was so scared. I thought I was going to throw up. But, as soon as I seen her, I knew it was fine. Lastly, I don't think you need to do anything in public. You guys are secluded and private. Everyone knows that, no one will pry. I say, do it somewhere special. Only to the two of you though. Somewhere you hang out a lot. Don't make it sexual. Make sure it is sensual though. Like, don't go big with the posters and stuff. That would be weird coming from you. Give her a flower or something. And have a little rolled up note attached to it. Oh! I have a seashell from Florida, you can use that."
"What?" I was already hating the idea of this, now I am just confused even more. I should've just asked Fangs. Or even Jughead. Fucking Mantle would even be able to explain this better.
"I will give you the seashell later," she shakes her head at me. "It represents the time you two started your relationship. It holds meaning, to her at least. Set the mood up, go to her house and place the shell on her bed with the note under it. Or put it in a box. You have to be there though, if not there is no emotional attachment. That would hurt her." I feel my face contort. "Boys are literally clueless. I can't figure out your whole relationship for you, Pea. You have to do somethings on your own. Okay? I think I've given you enough help... My head is going to explode if you ask me another stupid question." She sighs before walking away, leaving me alone.
She had a point. You went to her for advice on everything when it came to your relationship. You didn't understand them. Which, she established that it was because I've never had a real relationship in my life. Or had the example of one. That seemed to be the solution to a lot of problems, that involved me at least. I've been using that excuse since my parents left. It got me out of a lot of trouble, but it wouldn't get me out of this. I know she's expecting me to ask now. Or she's expecting to go alone. Which I understand that girls can get worked up over things like these, Y/N wasn't usually one of them though. Toni had explained enough though, if she were to go alone. She would have an awful time and probably blame herself that I didn't want to go. But, I truly don't want to go because I think dances are dumb. Getting dressed up for a two hour public grind session was not my idea of a good time. Watching the couples make out in the dimly lit gym, and the weird kids watch from the sides. It makes me sick just thinking about it, but I'm going to go for her. To see that twinkle of excitement in her eyes again. So, I have to get this perfect. On my own, sort of. Of course I was going to use the shell and note idea.
I dropped her off at home after school, told her I had some things to get done before she could come over. She doesn't seem to mind as she walks inside and shuts the door. I race to the trailer park, meeting Toni at the Wyrm to get the shell. Of course Cheryl was there, her excessive red head was visual from
Y/N's house.
"You better get this right," Cheryl had an annoyed tone in her voice. "This is something she will tell her kids one day, even if they aren't yours."
"What she is trying to say is, good luck," Toni smiled up at me. "Im sure whatever you have in mind, will be great... Just don't involve violence or your knife."
"Well there goes my whole plan," I say sarcastically. "I know I'm not the smartest in the bunch, but I am not stupid either. I know what she likes and doesn't. I am sure she will call you later with the details."
"Don't screw up," the say simultaneously as I go back to my truck. Their lack of confidence was really starting to get me; I felt, oddly enough, self conscious. What if I don't wear the right thing or something? What if my idea is stupid and she hates i? Various questions were running through my head, along with all the ways she could reject me. I shake the thoughts away pulling up my own trailer. It takes me a minute to get out. I had to force myself to move.
I've never been more uncomfortable about anything. Asking her to move in was like breathing. It was something that I had time to think about before I asked. I also had the help of Toni, who thank god, hasn't told anyone about our 'talks'. This was all on me, though. Other than the shell, I had to come up with everything I was going to say. What the note will say. How I am going to bring across the idea. To start it off. It was all a lot of processing. My phone interrupts my thoughts as it begins ringing.
"What Jones? I am kinda busy," I answer.
"Sweet Pea," Betty is on the other end. "I don't know what you are doing, but I hope it has something to do with asking Y/N to homecoming. She is spiraling right now. She thinks you don't want to go with her." Betty rambled on, talking about how she and Cheryl were going to kill me. And how I need to get my head out of my ass.
"Stop talking for two god damn minutes," I finally say. "Not that this is any of your business, but it is for asking her to homecoming. I would like to get back to it now. Before she comes over. And, if you say something to her. I might have to break one of Jughead's fingers."
"What do I have to do with this?" I hear.
"You gave her the phone. Good bye Jones and blondie," I hang up and toss my phone on the table. "God this is going to have to be perfect now."
Your POV———————————————————
You were on your way to Pea's place. He sounded odd over the phone, so you had an anxious feeling in the pit of your stomach. When you tried to ask what was wrong, he just cut you off. So, you were buzzing with anxiety. The drive seemed to be quicker than usual, but you couldn't find the strength to get out of the car. Your nerves had decided to shut down completely, along with the rest of your body.
You knew you couldn't stay there for much longer, he would come out eventually. That would make it worse. The sky grew dark around you as you slid from the driver's seat. Your feet crunching with dirt and gravel. You gripped your phone, spinning it in your hands as you went up to his door. Which, he opened before you could even get to the first step.
"Hey," you say kinda awkwardly. The room behind him his dark, expect for a weird orange-yellow glow. "What's going on?"
"Come on," he took your hand. His calloused fingers slid to your palm and wrapped around yours. "So, I didn't want to be like everyone else and do something huge... I think that is stupid. Going big for a school dance around a ton of people who you don't even talk to. I think this is better." He sits you on his sofa and makes a small gesture around the room. "I hadn't really thought about going to the dance, but I seen how your face lit up when you found out about the ballot. I wanted that to happen again. It was like seeing fireworks."
You were a little confused on what he was saying, but it was cute so you went along with it. You take a moment to look around his living room. Candles were lit on the dining table and on the tv stand. You notice a few new frames on the wall and a box on the center table. He even seemed to clean. He never cleaned, unless it was like something big. Which never happened...
"What's with all the set up?" You ask, looking back at him.
"I'm getting there," he shook his head. "I wanted to make this as perfect as I could in the few hours I had... So, I got these pictures from Toni and Cheryl." He gestures to the new frames. "They had them from parties and stuff I guess... I cleaned, because I wanted to show you I knew how." You laugh biting your lip a little. "I lit candles for mood setting... And, I managed to get you this." He picks up the gift box from the center table. "I do t usually do things like this. So..." He hands You the box, watching as you open it. There was a seashell inside. "It's from Florida. Which is where we started our relationship." Next to the shell there was a small letter 'R' patch. "That is for Riverdale High, where we met." He gestures to a hair tie wrapped around a piece of wood. "That is from Veronica's party. The wood split when I beat up Chuck... I know it's not the best memory, but it represents how we became friends." He points to a wrapper. "That is from Cerberus. Which is from our first trip as a couple. Even if it was secret. And, this is for today." He points at a little rolled up piece of paper. "It's really stupid..."
  You unroll the paper, and scan it. There was writing scrawled across and a lot of eraser marks. "Pea..." You begin reading. This is a box full of new beginnings and first times. Each of the items have their own meaning. And they are the symbol of something amazing, like you. I want to continue to fill this box with more firsts, starting with our first homecoming. How about it? "Oh my god..." You reread the note. "This is so..."
   "Stupid?" He asks.
   "No. It's great," you smile. "It is so amazingly great. How did you even get the wood? And, the wrapper?"
   "Well, I went to Veronica's and she let me steal a piece," he shrugged. "She hasn't told her parents about it, so it's not fixed... And, I had Fangs run to Greendale to get a wrapper. Which by the way, since he did that, we have to let him stay with us whenever he wants."
   "He does that already," You laugh.
   "We are not allowed to kick him out now," Pea shook his head. "He gets ten times. Whenever he wants, wherever, and for how long."
   "Great," You smile. "That's not going to be weird."
   "Oh he will try his best," Sweet Pea chuckled. "So, will you go?"
   "Of course I will!" You grab his face. "I know you don't like dances, and I like way over reacted earlier... But, I am so happy you are trying to step out of your comfort zone... And, I promise that it will be worth it... I will make it worth the time."
   "You already make everything worth the time," he replies and smiles cheekily. You roll your eyes pushing him away. "Wait!" He laughs pulling you back and he kisses you.
   "I can't wait to see what else we put in this box," You smile as you push the box onto the table.