Chapter 23: Last Hoorah

School started in a week and you couldn't wait. This year was supposed to be great. Your last year as high school students. And you were all planning on making it better. Stopping Hiram and taking Riverdale back. Your plan was basically a presidential, political run. You've been planning the year accordingly, Veronica has a timeline of the year hidden in her speakeasy. She plans to have her father back in prison before prom. So, she and Archie can win prom queen and king. Of course, you were not so naive. You understand that there will be a lot of 'bumps' along the way. Nothing is set in stone, you continue to remind them. Hiram will not be so easy to take down. He was the man in black. But, he rather be called the King.
"Pea... I think we should get outside enforcements," you say sitting with him on the couch. "For Hiram. He is to powerful here. His wife is mayor for gods sake. Outside help may be the only way we can stop him. I don't care what Veronica says. You and I both know that there's no way every part of her plan is going to work."
"I know. But, we should wait it out. Just a little. To see the exact number of reinforcements we need. How high up we need to go," he sighed. "I don't want to jump ahead and not have enough."
"Okay... I can't believe that summer is already over," you say. "All we did was lay around all summer and solve pointless cases that Jughead and Betty pull out of the cracks in the sidewalks... But, I can't wait to start either. This is our last year as high schoolers. It kinda marks the last few months of 'childhood'. For me at least."
   "Last year as a child," he laughed a little. "I think you're pretty much an adult already. Not to burst your bubble or anything... But, you're never going to lose your sense of childish wonder. Or attitude."
   "Hey... I can act like an adult if you want, but it's going to be boring. I used to try real hard to be grown up. Remember? I was stuck up and awkward."
    "Vaguely... And, it's not like I am complaining. I love every single part of you. Even the annoying picky side that you don't let anyone else see," he smirked. "Like how you don't like pickles on sandwiches, but you'll eat them alone. Or how you don't like ham, but you like the crusty part on a brown sugar ham... Or even your weird thing about not eating foods cold. Like pizza or chicken. But, you like cold turkey. Only turkey that you make yourself though. Which is also the only sandwich meat you will eat."
   "I didn't know you knew that much about me," You laugh. "How did you know about the turkey?"
   "Your mom mentioned it one day. She wanted to make lunch and was frustrated with you," he chuckled. "I'm glad I found that out though. I probably would've made you a sandwich with lunch meat. You would've ate it..."
   "Yeah I would," you nod laughing a little. "Never tell you right then, that I didn't like it. That would crush your small ego."
   "Whatever," he rolled his eyes. "I hate you sometimes."
    "No you don't," you lean over and kiss him softly. "Kevin!" He scrunched his face up.
    "You know... I would love it if you didn't yell other guy's names when you kiss me," he said. "It's kinda weird."
    "Shut up. Kevin is here with Moose," you hit him. "I can't believe they're still together."
    "Hey!" Kevin says brightly. "Sweet Pea I don't know if you've met or not... This is Moose."
    "We've met," Moose said with a weird tone set in his voice. You look between the two. "At riot night. And, when you beat us up in the street."
    "Right... Forgot about that," Kevin rolled on his feet. "But, everything is good now. Peace was made... Right?"
    "Yeah," you say with a nod. "Sit. We were just talking about how weird it is to be seniors."
   "Actually we were talking about how picky you are," Pea raised an eyebrow. "Did you know that she hates lunch meat, but if it's thanksgiving turkey she will make herself as many sandwiches until she's ready to explode."
   "I did," Kevin nodded. "She used to use hot water to brush her teeth too. She doesn't like tap water, especially if it's cold. Says it tastes off."
   "It does," you defend yourself. "Can we change the subject?"
    "I told you when we were kids, that this was going to haunt you forever," Moose chuckled. "So did Mantle."
    "You were friends with him too?" Pea asked. "I feel incredibly left out in many of these situations."
    "Sorry," You laugh. "How about we just talk about school, have the two of you told your parents yet?"
   "No," they both say. Moose looks to his feet. "We don't want his parents finding out."
    "Why?" Pea asked.
    "He would flip out." Moose shrugged.
   "Homophobia still lives today," Kevin sighed.
    "I've only met one homophobic asshole," Pea at looked them both. "If it were up to me, he wouldn't have a tongue today. He definitely doesn't live around here anymore though."
    "Didn't think you would be the one to do that," Moose chuckled awkwardly. "To stand up for people like..."
    "You?" Pea finished. "I don't care what anyone does. Until it hurts someone that I care about. The guy mouthed off to Fangs."
    "Well, thank you," Kevin said. "Really. No sarcasm here."
    "Well," you say awkwardly. "I think we should get some food. Who knows when the others will get here." You were waiting on the rest of your friends. To have the last dinner together for the summer."
"True. I don't think Archie and Jughead have ever been been on time," Kevin rolled his eyes.
"Jughead is probably eating now," Sweet Pea laughed. "Afraid he's not going to eat enough."
"He never gets enough," you say looking at the menu, though you were going to get the same thing as usual. You wouldn't be surprised if Pop had started the order already. And, he's definitely going to need food for Juggie.
"There's Cheryl and Toni," Moose says pointing. "Why didn't they come with you?"
"They were," Pea tried to find the right word choice.
"Busy." You say.
"Fondling each other?" Kevin says at the same time. "What about Fangs?"
"He's bringing a date," you explain. "Had to go get him. From what I know, he's a outside of towner. Real nice."
"Fangs says he's great looking too," Toni say next to you. "Met him on job."
"Good for him," Kevin nods. "I'm happy for him. He needs someone to keep him grounded."
"Yeah," Pea nods. "His last relationship wasn't all that great." You elbow him. "Ow!" He glares at you.
"Where is the rest of the good men then?" Cheryl asked as she eyes the restaurant. "Not that it matters. The core four will sit together at their own table."
"Core four?" Moose asks confusion spread across his face. Kevin laughs and pats his head.
"Riverdale practically revolves around them," you explain. "Ever since Veronica showed up. Then Betty and Jughead got together. We call them the core fore, because if anything happens. They are all involved somehow."
"Oh..."
"It doesn't matter if we help," Kevin shrugged. "Or save their lives."
"I don't care," Pea say back. "I'd rather not have attention set on me."
"You're a giant," you say. "That alone brings attention to you. Then, there's your tattoo. The jacket. Your huge ego..."
"But, it's not like I am out there screaming to the world, 'hey look at me, I am the Serpent King' or 'I threatened to kill the richest man in the town'. And, I didn't start a club that were supposed to be vigilantes. Or open a speakeasy in the biggest restaurant in town, just to get back at my father. I didn't put my mother to the school and town. May I continue..."
"Don't," You beg. "Reggie is here. Hey!" You smile up at him. "I'm sure we can fit one more in the booth."
"Hey guys," he waves. "Actually... I think I am going to just grab another. I brought Josie." He motions to the girl standing next to him now. You nod slowly. You didn't know that they were a thing now. "Did you order yet?"
"No," you all say together.
"Alright. Let's sit here," he motions to the empty table next to yours. He and Josie sit together, endorsing themselves in a fit of laughter and flirting.
"Since When is that a thing?" Cheryl asks quietly. "I don't understand."
"Who knows. He's been hanging around her all summer. Before and after football. I don't think they will last when school starts though," Moose said. "Both of them have to commit to their trades. Football and music."
"Reggie's parents do go hard during sports seasons," you whisper. "It looks like they enjoy each others time though." You were kinda hurt that Reggie didn't tell you. Pea must've noticed the tone because without looking, his hand was on your thigh. It was comforting. You placed your hand on top of his looking up at him for only a second. "Hey you finally made it!"
"Yeah," Archie rubbed his neck. "We lost track of time. Veronica and Betty were engulfed in their plan for the year. And, Jug and I were playing a video game."
   "Excuses," you joke. "Well, we haven't ordered yet, so you aren't late."
    "Great," Veronica said. "I had Pop do some preparations beforehand. I'll go tell him we're all here."
    "Veronica wants us to blast the new year off with a proper 'New York' feast," Betty laughed. "At least that's what she says."
"Well, I am excited," Toni said. "I can't wait. Much like Cher, Veronica goes above and beyond for celebrations."
"Which reminds me," Cheryl smiled. "T-T and I have a little announcement when Veronica returns." You look at her expecting a hint, but nothing but excitement is on her face.
"What kind of announcement?" Kevin asked.
"A big one," Toni said smiling at her love. "Here she comes now."
"Milkshakes," Veronica passes out each of us a different glass. "And, to start us off, curly fries... What did I miss?"
"Cheryl and Toni just said they have news," Betty sat down with her shake.
"Well," Cheryl stood, making herself known. "Toni and I have decided that it was time for the next step in our extravagant love story."
"Which is?" Jughead asked. "You've already chosen to join the Serpents. I know for a fact you have taken every step but marriage and children."
"You aren't going to get married, yet are you?" Fangs asked from behind you. You almost jump out of your skin.
"God no," Cheryl rolled her eyes. "We are not some couple in a book eloping. T and I have decided to move in together."
"Oh my god!" You say excitedly. "That is so cool! Good for you guys!"
"Congratulations," Fangs gave his friend a hug from behind. "Don't forget to visit family though."
"Never," she laughed. "And it's not like we won't see each other everyday."
"Well," Reggie said from his table. "I would've never thought that Cheryl would be the first to jump into a committed relationship... But, I'm happy for you. Congrats Red." He holds his glass up and tilts it towards her. "And little snake." You roll your eyes. He was kinda being a dick tonight.
"That reminds me," Cheryl said. "Y/N and Sweet Pea. Don't the two of you have your own news?"
"Oh my god," Fangs said. "Are you pregnant?" You look at the boy.
"Oh," Kevin said. "Congratulations to you guys too!"
    "Y/N?" Reggie asked now with a look you have never seen.
    "She is not pregnant you imbeciles," Cheryl rolled her eyes.
    "Thank god," Jug sighed. "Not that you guys... Just with everything going on."
    "Shut up," Pea said. "Y/N and I are moving in together at the end of the year."
   "Oh wow!" Archie said. "Everyone is really growing up..."
   "Take pointers," Veronica said smiling. "Cheers to you all!"
    "I didn't know this," Fangs said. "Well... Losing one getting another." He rubbed Peas head.
   "Where's your date?" You ask.
    "Couldn't come. Turns out had girlfriend back home," Fangs shrugged. "Who cares. I got all my friends here."
    "You're so sappy," Jughead chuckled.
    "Don't make fun of him," Pea said.
    "Thanks man."
     "Always."
     "Gag... You two just need to get married already," Cheryl said.
    "We are," Fangs smirked. "In October."
    "We are?" Pea looked confused. "Where? When did..?"
    "Oh babe," You laugh. "Clueless sometimes."
   "Let's get the feast started!" Veronica clapped to get everyone's attention.