Chapter 40: Baby Shower

You were nearing the end of your pregnancy. You've been getting extremely nervous lately. Thinking about the actual birthing process. You've also been having dreams about Lexington turning out like Hiram or Hal Cooper. You also had weird dreams about giving birth to a cat, but that's a different story. Today, the girls had planned a baby shower for you. It's about four weeks ahead of your due date, so you've definitely grown. Trying to find nice clothes was hard, especially when you were extremely uncomfortable. But, you settle on a long white dress. Your hair and makeup doesn't take long.
   "You sure that you don't want me going?" Sweet Pea asks you again. It was a popular topic of conversation for the past few days. "I can tell Fangs."
   "Yeah," you laugh. "You won't like it. It's a party full of girls." He raises his eyebrows playfully. "Who will be talking about birth and lactating. Then, they guess the size of my stomach. Whoever gets the closest, gets a prize. It's a lot of games like that. And prizes are girly candles and stuff. You will be bored out of your mind."
  "Fine," he sighed. "Don't let anything happen without me."
    "Nothing will happen, I will literally promise that," you laugh. "Go have fun with the guys. Do guys things like chug beer and spit." He gives you a weird look.
   "Guys don't just chug beer and spit? Who just spits?" He asked laughing. "You are weird."
   "Just like girls don't do their nails and hush over hot guys," you shrug. "There's stereotypes for everyone. Now, go. Fangs is probably trying to host the guys at Pop's. Honestly, that sounds terrifying."
  "I'm going," he waved his hand towards you. "Have fun at your girl party."
   "Believe me, I probably won't," You laugh closing the door behind him. You wait for your ride, which of course Cheryl and Toni arranged. When you hear a car pull up, you are surprised to see Toni only.
   "Your ride," she laughs pointing at the old styled car. "I'm sorry I'm late. We should go, Cheryl is going to kill me."
   "Don't worry," you say smiling. "We will tell her it's my fault. Can't kill me."
   "You're a goddess. And, you look fantastic," she smiled eyeing you. "Sweet Pea said you did."
   "You seen Pea?" You ask while buckling your seatbelt and she nods.
   "Just for a few moments," she says. "Now, you ready?" You nod and she drives off to the party destination. Which, you had no idea where it was.
  Twenty minutes earlier Toni's POV
I met Fangs down at the pit. He had all of the guys together, since none of them had anything better to do today. I knew Sweet Pea would be here any minute and it was the perfect time to talk to him. I noticed the car slowly pull up and watch him get out. He greets Fangs first, with a weird bro handshake thing. It's awkward and full of weird angst.
   "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be at the shower?" He asked.
   "We wanted to talk," Fangs said. "Well more like ask a few questions."
    "Like?"
    "Well we want to know why you and Y/N aren't together?" Reggie said shrugging. "It's not like there isn't a reason and you obviously aren't taking things slow."
    "Yeah," Jughead nods. "It's obvious that the two of you still have feelings for each other. It's not like we can't tell every time you stare longingly in her direction. Or when you talk about her, you get this little smile right at the edge of your angry face."
   "And, we all seen the kids at the party," Archie said. "It was passionate."
   "It was more than that. It was like fireworks," Fangs corrected and I nod in agreement.
   "You are having a kid together," I say. "You love her and she obviously loves you too. I don't understand why you aren't together already. I thought you'd be engaged by now."
   "It's more complicated then it seems," he sighed sitting next to Kevin. "We don't want to get together because we're having a baby. That's not the right reason. And, all of these feelings can be because of the baby."
   "Is that what you think?" I ask and he shrugs. "That's a damn lie. I know, that you know, it's more than that. I have never seen you so happy around anyone. You are so protective of her, and don't say it's because the baby. We both know, that you've always been like this towards her. She makes you happy, Sweets, you know that you love her."
   "She loves you too," Reggie said. "She never takes those rings off. The ones around her neck. Not when you were fighting. Or when, you broke up with her when we went to Nebraska. She wore them even when we had our weird thing."
   "And, she told me that she sleeps better with you," Kevin said. "She's comfortable. She doesn't get nightmares or have to get up to fix the way she's laying."
    "And, She is always talking about you," I say. "Never stops saying how great you are."
   "Don't wait for the wrong time," Fangs said.
    "You might lose her," Jughead finished. "To someone like Archie."
     "What?" The redhead seemed confused, as the rest of us laugh. "Hey, Toni, Veronica just texted me. She said you're late with Y/N."
    "You better go. She looks great and she'll be pissed if you don't get there," Pea says. "She already knows she's not going to have fun."
    "Shit," I say. "Alright. You better do the right thing. If not, I will cut your tongue out."
    "You can't reach my tongue," Pea shook his head and I give him a daring look before running to the car.
  At Party Destination also known as Betty's
  You look around the Cooper household, amazed to see all of the decorations. It was amazing. There were decorations that showed that the baby was going to be part of both sides of Riverdale. Green, Blue, and Gold decorations laced the entire house. A diaper motorcycle was the center piece of the kitchen table. All of your friends were there already, including Polly. Your aunts and cousins were there as well, with open smiles. Though, you can tell they're fake.
   "Hey," Veronica hugs you. "You look stunning. Very, Greek goddess."
   "Toni said the same thing," you laugh. "Thank you. The place looks great. I can't believe you somehow managed to get the North and Southside theme."
   "That was my idea," Polly says. "I know, that it wasn't easy before. But, now, this baby starts a new chapter."
   "Which is also part of the theme," Cheryl said. "New chapter of your life is about to begin."
    "So, we have a Polaroid going around," Betty explained. "So, we can put together a scrap book of today. The boys also have one. Fangs is throwing a Dad's Baby Shower... I honestly have no idea. There will be a line of streamers everyone will get. They will guess the size of your belly. The four of us cannot play for obvious reasons. After we do that, we will have food. And, after food we will do gifts. Which are all from the registry you gave me. After gifts we will have cake. After the cake, we will do the wishes for baby. Which will be written on a frame we got you." You nod along with it all, giving her a smile. It was a lot to take in at one time. Your brain was jumbled with so many thoughts. "You good?"
   "Yeah," you nod. "Let's get this started then." They smile and announce that you are going to begin the sizing game. After each person had their line, they came up to you to wrap around your belly. You did end up having fun with this one. "Gosh, that's insulting,." You scoff at your cousin who had too long of a streamer. Everyone laughs. After everyone had their turn, you and the other four choose the winner of the first prize. "Alright, so the winner of this game is Mrs Cooper. You were pretty close."
   "I just have a Knick for these," she laughs.
    "Alright freeloaders, we are going to have food. Now, during this, we are going to play a little price is right. Each of you get a paper with five items. The one with the most correct or closest gets the prize. Mrs Cooper is excluded from the prize as she already won," Cheryl said. "Food is in the kitchen. Enjoy."
   "Freeloaders?" You laugh. "What a great compliment."
   "Whatever," she shrugs. "Go get food. You look starved."
   "I always look starved," you say. "This baby doesn't get enough."
   "Then go eat," Veronica laughed. "You sit in the front." When you get to gifts, you get filled with excitement. You loved opening gifts. You knew they weren't for you, but still it was fun. You get loads of different baby items. A formula maker, which you were so grateful for. You did not want to wait for warm water to heat the bottle. You get loads of clothes. You open a little leather jacket.
   "Had to get my nephew a part of his heritage. His first Serpent jacket," Toni smiled. "It's so cute."
   "It is," you nod. "I love it." You stare for another minute before Veronica hands you another. It was a diaper bag filled with diapers, bottles, wipes, binkies, blankets. It was basically a baby survival kit.
   "That is from your cousin Hanna," Veronica says and you thank her putting it on the ground next you. You open a countless number of toys, which made you fill with more excitement. You open blankets and books. Stuffed animals and clothes. A changing pad and a stroller. You even got a little aid kit with essential items. There are a few baby proofing kits, which you are happy about. Especially with your house. You get bath time things which are too cute. There are many things that come for nursing as well, which you have no idea how to use. You hope that Alice can show you that. Or a doctor. Betty gives you a baby monitor which is a camera. Veronica gives you a little portable crib. Cheryl gives you a vintage looking stroller as promised. And, Toni in addition to the adorable jacket gives you and Sweet Pea a new set of loungewear. Which comes with a note:
   Not that you aren't going to get thrown up on or peed on in this, but it's the gesture that counts. I hope this brings you a little comfort in these next few hectic months. What the hell am I saying? It's going to be a few hectic years. Right now, you're probably freaking out, but don't worry. You still have me. You have all of us. So, when you get to that low point of going insane, give one of us a call. We will be sure to laugh in your face, but come as fast as we can. Bet you regret making fun of me now, huh, Jordan?
  "Thanks Toni," you laugh. "I can't wait for him to read this."
   "Me either," she says. "Speaking of which. Can I talk to you for a second? Alone."
   "Erm. Sure..." She pulls you into a the bathroom. Cheryl soon joins and shut the doors behind her. "I'm sorry, but I don't think now is a great time for a threesome. I'm kinda in a bad state."
   "What?" Cheryl gives you a look. "That so is not why we wanted to talk."
   "Well, Toni said alone. I assumed it would be just me and her," you shrug. "What is so important?"
   "Why aren't you with Sweet Pea?" Toni blurts out and Cheryl rolls her eyes.
    "What do you mean? We haven't been together in almost nine months," you say.
    "Obviously," Cheryl crosses his arms. "But, why? Obviously you still love him. And, it's not like you guys aren't good together."
   "Yeah, you two were great together. You were both so happy," Toni said. "And, you are always talking about him. And, I see those longing looks. And, that kiss at the gender reveal."
   "It was a spur of the moment," you say. "Sure, I still love him. But, it's not like... I mean yes, I love Sweet Pea. That doesn't mean that we should be together. I love you guys too." They give you annoyed looks. "I mean I love a lot about Sweet Pea, like how protective he is. And, how sweet he actually is. And, how he's not afraid of anything... Oh my god! I am still in love with Sweet Pea."
   "Of course you are!" Cheryl lightly hits your forehead.
   "How did I not know? Why didn't you say anything?" You groan.
   "Because we all thought you knew. It is so obvious. Other than to the two of you," Toni laughed.
   "Wait... What do you know? About Sweet Pea?" You eye her suspiciously.
   "Nothing." She raises her hands. "I just know that you two should so be together."
   "I think we should wait. For after, Lexington is born," you say sitting on the bathtub. "There's just too much going on." They nod, understanding. "Are you sure he likes me?"
   "Of course," They say.
   "Okay," you nod. "I think we should get back out there before they all finish their desserts."
   "You're right. It's time for the baby wishes," Cheryl smiled. "It's going to be so cute to put on your wall." She follows you out and has Veronica announce it.
   "Alright, ladies, for the last little thing we are doing. We decided to get this beautiful canvas picture frame. Usually, baby wishes are for the parents and family, but these are for him. So, we want you to write your hopes for him. Anything, you set your mind to," Veronica clasps her hands together. "There is a black pen here. And, you can start whenever."
  "After, we finish that," Betty spoke up. "We are going to announce the winner of the price is right game. After that, we have little party bags to go home with."
   "So, have the four of you put your wishes on already?" I ask eyeing them. "Do I get to know now? Or?"
   "I said that I hope that he grows to be confident and full of life," Betty said with a smile.
   "I put that I hope that he loves everything life brings to him," Toni said.
  "I put that I wish him the easiest life and hope that he doesn't get his father's temper," Cheryl chuckled. "And that he gets the greatest adventures."
   "And, I put that I hope he finds love like how we did. In an unexpected and hard situation. And that he makes amazing friends that will never leave his side," Veronica said and you hug her.
   "Those are so great," you say. "I hope he gets everything he wants. And love."
  "You can put a wish on there too," Betty laughed. "Go do it. We will take care of everything else." You nod going to the table. After grabbing the pen, you think of what you want for him.
  Lexington,
    I want so many things for you, in life. I don't think that I can fit them all in this little space. I want you to grow up knowing that you are deeply loved. I want you to find love in high school and know that it might not last forever. I hope you get everything you want in life, well not everything. I hope you grow up knowing that you can come to me and your dad whenever you need to. We will always be here for you, even if not physically. And, I hope you grow up with all of your family. We love you, so much.
    Mom
   You put the pen down and turn to the group of ladies, ready to leave. You tell each of them a goodbye and hug them. It soon came exhausting, standing in the same place and saying the same few things. And, you notice that they all say the same things to you. The same lies really. That they will come and watch the baby whenever you need them too. And, that they are just a call away. You know that it's just complimentary, but it gets annoying. You push back the groans and continue to hug the women you wouldn't see for a long time. Finally, all of the guests had left and Toni said she will take you home now. You all pile things into the back and trunk of the car. More like shove things so they all fit, but as soon as you open the door they will all fall, like snow during an avalanche.
   "I can't believe we fit all of this," Toni shoves the door shut with a groan. "We are great." You laugh climbing into the front seat. "Now, let's get you home. We will have the boys unpack." You nod pulling your belt across your body.
   "The party was fun," you say. "A lot better than I thought it would be."
   "I'm glad," she says. "Sweet Pea did say that you were dreading it."
   "I was," You nod. "I don't get along with a lot of people. Socially awkward and all."
   "At least you never have to do it again," she laughed. "Next time it will just be us friends and your family that you want."
   You laugh a little morbidly, "I wish my mom was here. She would be such a great grandmother and she could help me through all of this."
   "I know," Toni said giving you a sad glance. "I'm sorry. I wish you had her too."
   "You know, I haven't told anyone this... But, I can't wait for this to be over," You laugh. "I want to be able to be comfortable again. Lay in bed without tossing around. Not have to pee all the time. And, believe me. It's ALL of the TIME."
   "Well, it will be over before you know it," she laughed turning into your driveway. "Now, let's grab the easiest things which are in the trunk and have the guys do the rest."
   "That sounds great," you laugh getting out of the car. You grab the blankets and diaper motorcycle. It was probably your favorite thing from the whole party. You bring them in and put them in the newly finished nursery. You watched Sweet Pea, Fangs, and Jughead all carry the bigger things. Strollers that they had no idea how to work, stacks of books, and piles of stuffed animals. Jughead has packages of diapers piled higher than his head as he carried them up the stairs. You have to stifle a laugh watching him struggle to keep them from falling.
   "Hey," Fangs comes in holding the new breast pump. "What is this bottle thing with the tube and machine?"
   "That is a breast pump," Toni laughs.
   "What? Why is there? What the hell?" He drops it on the couch. "Why is it open?"
   "Alice showed me how to use it, not on me," You say. "I still kinda don't know."
    "Okay," He nods. "When you do that. I don't want to be around. That is terrifying."
   "You're telling me," you laugh.
   "Hey, where does this machine go?" Sweet Pea asked holding the bottle warmer.
   "Kitchen. The bottle sanitizer, formula maker, and feeding things go with it. Make sure the bottles and the cleaners get put together," you beg. "I don't wanna have anything out of order or hard to find."
   "Okay," He nods walking back to the kitchen. "Also the other crib thing. Where do you want that?"
   "Just in the nursery right now," you say. "After he's born we can bring it in here. In the dining room. Our rooms. And wherever we go. Like house wise."
   "Alright. And, I put the car seat in the hall closet with the hospital baby bag. I put the bigger car seat in the attic," he said walking through the front door again. "There is a lot of stuff." You nod. "Glad you had a good turnout."
   "Did you expect it to be bad?" Toni asked crossing her arms.
   "No," Sweet Pea shook his head sarcastically. "Not at all. I thought that there would be more people actually. In a town where everybody hates each other."
   "Whatever," She said. "I regret getting you that gift now."
    "You got me a gift?" He asked, his eyebrows perking slightly. "Where is it?"
    "In with the bag of clothes," you say. "Which I cannot wait to show you what she got Lexington. It is so cute. Hurry and go get it!"
   "No. No. I'm gonna go slower. So it never gets done," he shook his head. "Fangs probably has it. There were only a few things left." As if on cue the tanned boy stumbles through the door with Jughead close behind. Fangs has bags sling over his shoulders and Jughead was steadying him from behind.
   "Where do these go boss?" Jughead chuckled lowly looking at how distressed Fangs was.
   "Just put them right here," you say getting up from the couch. "And, you can go get whatever you want from the freezer. All of you."
   "Even the extra chocolate fudge, brownie ice cream?" Fangs asked and you nod. He threw the things on the couch and bolted down the hall, at least you have some experience with children.
   "Okay," you say picking through the bag. "This is yours. Actual lounging clothes. You know what you need because you always are in jeans and flannels."
   "Hey, I can wear that old uniform," he chuckled reminding you of the Riverdale Serpents uniform. You shake your head before going back into the bag to pull out the jacket.
   "Look how cute!" You gush. "Toni got him his first leather jacket!" He grabs it and chuckled. "He's gonna look just like you."
   "Hopefully not," Jughead laughed.
   "You do realize that you two don't look much different," You point out. "If someone seen you from the distance and didn't know you well. They would definitely think you're related."
   "No," they both say. "We don't."
   "You offended their egos," Toni whispered and you snort. "I was thinking we could get a little snake patch to put on it."
   "He's a baby," Sweet Pea shook his head. "He's not getting thrown into a gang when he can't even decide if he wants to or not. And, I don't think gang wear is exactly playground friendly."
   "Look at you, already becoming fatherly," Jughead cooed. "Very respectful."
  "Fangs is gonna eat all my ice cream," you think our loud, without realizing.
    "Well, I am not forcing my kid into anything he doesn't want, and the Serpents are targeted," he said. "I'm not putting a target on his back. Just like, I'm glad she doesn't have her tattoo anymore. At least they will be safe."
   "I like this father Sweet Pea," Toni nods.
  "I have to go stop him," you mumble rushing down the short hall to the kitchen. "That is enough Fangs! I still have a few weeks and I can't buy anymore because then it will get wasted!" He pulls the spoon out slowly and puts it in his bowl. "Thank you. Give me a bite." He gives you a look you really can't describe, but you give him sad pregnant puppy dog eyes and he caves. "You're so great."
   "I know," he smiled. "So, I haven't really got to talk to you alone... I want to thank you for letting me be the Godfather. I know, Sweet Pea chose me, but still. There were better more stable options like Reggie or Kevin. It means so much to me that I get to be part of this baby's life, because with the way my life is looking... I may not be able to have my own kids. So, for you to not only name me uncle but also choose me for Godfather. And, make his middle name Drew. I am so grateful."
   "Oh Fangs," you hug him. "You were the most reliable option, we know how much you already love him. And how much you love us and we love you. You are always so supportive, even when you know it's hard or wrong. You would walk through fire for us, even though we would tell you not to. And, we know that you would do anything for Lexington. We wouldn't have chosen anyone else. No one compared in compassion or love."
   "Thanks, Sis," He said against your shoulder. "I love you guys and I will never let anything happen to you or Lex."
   "I know," you nod. "You know, you're not supposed to make a pregnant cry."
   "Oh don't do that," he mumbled looking at you. "If you cry then I'm gonna..." You laugh pulling him into another hug.
  "You are going to be the best uncle and godfather. And one day the right person is going to come into your life and you will know," you say through tears. "And you will have a wonderful family. And, you will be the best father."
   "I thought that already happened," he said blinking a few times and you are confused now. "It's not important... I think we need to stop talking about all of this. It's too much emotion... I got the baby a gift. From the best uncle. It's up in his room."
   "Fangs, you didn't have to get anything," you say following him upstairs. He stops at the door and smiles before opening it. You are confused for a second, but then you notice the large picture on the wall. "Oh my god that's us at Florida." He nods. "And, all of the things from the box... Where did you get all of these pictures and stuff?"
   "Jughead," he shrugged. "And Toni. I also took the box that you left at Pea's trailer. I knew that it's all a part of his past. You can get more and add to the walls too. To tell his whole story."
   "That's so sweet," you say. "God. I can't believe you put all of this together." He nods. "It's great. I am sure that Sweet Pea loved it too. Although he probably just called you a name."
   "Oh yeah. Stalker, weird, thief," he shrugged and you laughed. "I knew he liked it though. Also, after he gets older. You can take it down and put it in this chest that I found." You nod looking at the chest.