Chapter 36

Assalamu Alaikum everyone! It's the love that you all show that has literally forced me to come back. These days I'm getting more votes on my books than updates on other chapters, which I'm really thanful for. I felt like I had forgotten how to write a story after taking such a long break, so it was really hard for me to be able to get this chapter together. It was really hard for me to write every single sentence and it took pretty long too. I hope the old readers haven't forgotten what was going on. (Maya and Zayan had a fight in the last chapter) Please do go back and read it if you want to. Otherwise enjoy reading! 

***

One whole day had passed since their argument. Zayan wasn't talking to her, or rather he was but in painfully formal tones only when it was absolutely necessary. 'Come down for dinner', 'can you pass the plate', 'I'll be late today'. Maya hadn't tried to talk to him either. This was better she thought; at least he wouldn't have any expectations from her. 

They were living together under the same roof, in the same room, even sleeping in the same bed but it was as if they had centuries between them. It was as if a solid invisible wall had come between them and they couldn't break it and the worst part was that they didn't even want to. They were almost like strangers whose destines had collided on that day and life forced them to be together. However much they wanted to get on with their own lives they couldn't. They were two individuals who had been stranded away from their normal lives. They couldn't do anything about it. They were stuck how ever much they wanted to get out. 

To a third person, that day may have even seem like an incident that she must get over and forget. But to her that incident had changed her life. It had flipped her life over and all of a sudden she had found herself in a situation where she was stuck with no light at the end of the tunnel. Zayan had saved her life in more than one way and she was indebted to him forever. He had unkowningly even saved her from Daniyal's proposal. She owed her life to him. Maybe that was why she felt so bad for him for being stuck in this excuse of a relation. That was why she hated herself more and more.

She stared out of the open bedroom window as heavy rain poured outside. The clouds had hidden the sun behind their gray exterior. They seemed to be weeping at the world's misery too. The bright hues of the day had turned dark from the sky's tears. Thick tears leaked from her eyes as she wiped them away harshly. 

She was so pathetic.

She tightened the shawl around her shoulders as the cold air nipped her skin. She had always hated the cold; it reminded her of sadness. She had always been a summer person and her mind associated summer with happiness.

The tree branches were screaming too as the harsh winter winds hit them with full intensity. She was screaming too, but unlike the trees, no one could hear her. She was crying,  just inside herself. The trees had hope that the sun would come back the next day and it would be a happy, sunny day again. She had no hope. She didn't know when the light would turn on again, when she'd be able to smile again.

Her train of thought was interrupted when a knock sounded on the door making her twist around to see who the intruder was. Who had come to free her from her ownself.

Seeing her mother-in-law walk in, she quickly wiped away all traces of her tears and pulled on a smile: that's what was expected of a new bride. 

"Maya? I called you from outside, didn't you hear me?" The lady inquired her softly. "Farhana, my sister's over. She wanted to see you too."

"Yeah? Yeah I'm coming." She said quietly as her words danced on her eardrums. 

She snapped the window shut and fastened the locks. The closed window shut out the noise of the harsh rain and wind. They had been locked away and she wouldn't even know that the skies were crying if she wasn't looking at it.