Chapter 37

Maya's hands tightly gripped the sink in the toilet as she leaned over it heaving. Nausea clawed at her throat as she tried to force down the bile. Her stomach contracted violently and chunks of partly digested food were propelled out. Hot tears streamed down her eyes, her throat burned and her face turned white with sweat coating her forehead. 

She turned the tap on and let the cold water flow washing away the vomit. Her breathing elevated as she dry heaved with nothing left in her stomach. She cupped some water in her hands and splashed it on her face and stared at her reflection in the mirror as droplets of water fell in the sink.

A knock sounded on the door making her look up.

"Maya, are you okay?" She could distinctly hear Zayan's voice as if he was very far away.

The door opened the next second and he walked in. Her face flushed scarlet due to embarrassment but she had no strength in her to ask him to leave. 

He came forward and pulled back her hair from her face as she breathed heavily.

"You're burning," he commented as his fingers brushed against her forehead. 

"Leave me alone." She pleaded, her knuckles turning white as she gripped the sink too tightly.

Zayan collected water in his hands and helped her wash her face and rinse her mouth. She felt too weak to retailate. The cold water helped relax her nerves.

He turned off the water and glanced at her face in the mirror. He stared at the dark cicles beneath her eyes and her eyes specked with red. She looked so weak.

He helped her walk out of the washroom and lead her towards the bed.

"Do you need water?" He questioned as Maya closed her eye lids shut, trying to collect her strength.

Seeing her nod, he poured water from the jug on the bed side table. Bringing the glass to her mouth, he held it as she took a small sip.

"Maya?" She looked up as she heard Areesha and her mother walk inside the room. She had come over for lunch today. "Is everything alright?" They had been chatting over tea when Maya had suddenly left the room in a hurry with her hand clamped on her mouth.

"Its nothing." She smiled slightly, as she took the glass in her hands and chugged the water down. It soothed her burning throat. 

"Beta, you look very pale." Her mother in law commented, taking a seat next to her on the bed.

Areesha glanced at her mother and a meaningful look was exchanged. Her mother smiled brightly with a knowing look in her eye. 

"I know what it is, but we need to be sure." She began slowly, making Maya stare at her in surprise. 

"I think you are expecting." Seeing her blank face, she elaborated with a suggestive smile

Maya's eyes snapped towards her in a shock. The older lady's eyes were twinkling as Maya processed her words.

She coughed out the water she was drinking making Areesha thump her back in amusement.

What?  Her eyes snapped towards Zayan and she averted them almost immediately. She could feel her cheeks flushing as she opened her mouth to speak, but no voice came out. She stared at her mother-in-law, the older woman's eyes twinkling with hope and joy.

"N-no." She shook her head. "It's not like that."

"You should take a test, Maya." Areesha suggested, not wanting to let go of the hope.