Chapter 9 - Chipmunk

"Is that her?"

"Yeah, the one that came in with the CEO."

"I heard that he chose her design over brand names for Hoseok oppa."

"Wow, who did she have to kiss up to for that?"

You tried to ignore the comments. It was your first day at work and you weren't going to let anyone ruin it. Namjoon had just finished showing you around the place and he even set you up with your own room. You were unpacking some of your belongings, not all of your supplies because Namjoon had already bought some new things which he did it out of the goodness of his heart, according to him, when you heard the conversation outside. You knew they intentionally stood outside your door for you to hear. They were presumably other stylists and make up artists in the company.

You sighed and continued to set up your workstation. But then you heard a knock on the door, your door wasn't closed so you saw who it was. Leaning against the door was a beautiful girl with red hair that she had put in a ponytail. Her smile was contagious and you found yourself smiling right away. She wore a simply green dress that made her eyes pop. She looked like a model.

"Good morning, you must be Y/N." she said, her voice was cute, matching her appearance. She offered a hand for you to shake, which you did, still admiring her petite face.

"Ah, yes, I am."

"Oh, where are my manners?" she giggled, "My name is Park Chaeyoung, but you can call me Chae. I'm a makeup artist here."

"I see..." The atmosphere got quite awkward because you really just didn't know what to say. Chaeyoung must have felt that too because she then grabbed your arm and dragged you outside. Your upper body moved before your legs could and you almost tripped into her. All she did was laugh. As you got outside, you saw the girls who were talking about you, there were 2 of them. They glared at you which made you lower your head. You heard them laughing.

"Don't worry about them. They're just jealous, that's all." Chaeyoung said. "It's not everyday we get a new stylist, and then having an idol wear their design. You were the talk of the company for days."

"That's embarrassing." you said, your voice quiet. "But, Chae, where are we going?"

"To the cafeteria of course. It's already lunch time and I'm starving." she answered. Once the cafeteria was in sight, she practically ran to it. Something tells you you would get along great with her. She recommended getting the fried chicken because it's the best chicken in the whole world, according to her. Once you two got your food, you went and grabbed a table by the windows. The view outside was beautiful. You can see everything at this height. The sky was a beautiful grey, hovering over skyscrapers that made the world seem endless. Down in the streets, cars were moving like ants, and you can make out a few people walking the streets with purpose on their mind.

"Chae, why are you so nice to me?" you asked immediately. The poor girl was about to put the chicken in her mouth but stopped half way. But she didn't mind.

"Well it's simple, I think you're amazing. I saw Hoseok oppa's jacket. The needlework was beautiful. I thought you would be a good mentor, even if we're not doing quite the same thing. But aside from that, there is another reason. I know it sounds silly but I thought you could use a friend. When I heard about you and started hearing how the others talked down at you, I thought you were similar to me in a sense. When I first came in, people doubted my skills because they thought I had used my brother's connection to get the job."

"Your brother?"

"Yeah, Park Jimin." she answered. You weren't really surprised. As intimidating as Jimin was when you first saw him, he's actually very cute and he's so caring for everyone around him. He even offered you coffee this morning. "And since it's only Jimin and I, I don't have a lot of females to look up to. I guess I wanted to project my idea of an older sister on to you."

"But you don't even know me."

"I know that. But I know you're not a bad person. Or else why would you still be here with me?"

"Because this chicken is very amazing." you laughed, taking a big bite. She laughed and followed. "Well from what I can see, it seems like you're the big sister." Her eyes lit up and then they became crescent moons as her smile got bigger.

"We can take turns being the older sibling." she suggested. "So what's your relationship with the boss?" she asked. It was a mistake to take a drink because you immediately choked on it. Chaeyoung handed you a napkin.

"R-relationship? What do you mean?" you managed to ask.

"Well everyone saw that you came with him, and got out of the car with him. So you two must have known each other before."

"It's a complicated story." you admitted, which was half true. After reviewing your contract with Namjoon, you brought up the question of where you would be staying since being Rapmon's nanny wouldn't be your full time job anymore. Namjoon said that it would be fine if you continued to stay with him because you don't have a car to go to work and you don't have enough money to move out. You agreed because that was the least amount of work on your part. "Basically I live with him... But not like that, I'm renting a room at his house."

"I see." Chae said, eyeing you suspiciously. You laughed, hoping the conversation would move on to something else. Just then, out of the corner of your eyes, you saw him, approaching your table. All you wanted to do was become invisible.

"Hi, Y/N." he said. Chaeyoung's eyes widened as she looked up at him and then down back at you.

"Hello, Hoseok." you said, glancing up briefly at him before returning to your meal.

"I see that you're working at the company now. That's great. There's a lot of articles about the jacket, the public really likes it." he said.

"That's great. Really, I'm glad they like it." you said, giving him a genuine smile. Despite everything, this was your dream and it was slowly starting to come true.

"Listen. Can we talk later?"

"Hoseok, like I've said, there's nothing to talk about."

"Yes, there is. If you would give me a chance to explain myself."

"Maybe some other time, I'm having lunch now with Chaeyoung." you said, gesturing to him that there was someone else here and he should not say whatever he was going to say. It might stir up something with the staffs.

He sighed, his smile faded. "Alright. I'll see you later then." And then he left. For some reason, you felt guilty about the whole ordeal. But maybe he did deserve it.

"What was that about?" Chae asked as soon as he was out of sight.

"Nothing. He's an old friend from my childhood."

"Well you might want to be careful." she warned.

"Why?"

"The girls here really likes him. He's handsome, talented, and approachable."

"So are the other male idols."

"No, no, they're all taken, well except Suga."

"Wow, there's so much about this company that I still don't know about."

"Don't worry. You'll have me from now on." Chaeyoung smiled and pointed to herself. You couldn't help but pinched her cheeks. She's exactly like a chipmunk. Once the two of you finished your meal, Chae offered to help you unpack, which you accepted.

Achoo! You sneezed while moving some boxes.

"Unnie are you okay?" she asked, rushing over to give you a wipe.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"No you're not. You're burning up." she exclaimed as she touched your forehead. "You should go home today."

"No, I'm fine. Besides, we only have a few hours left. I can do it."

"Okay, don't push yourself. I have to go back now." She bid you goodbye and left. When you were done with everything, you took one final look at the room and went to the couch. You told yourself you would only close your eyes for a few minute. In your dreams, you felt your body being lift up and laid down somewhere soft.