Chapter 37 - That Song

When you woke up in the morning, the aroma of coffee carried your feet into the kitchen. You found Namjoon sitting at the kitchen table, but what surprised you more was the person sitting across from him. Kyungsoo took a sip of his cup and was telling Namjoon about life at EXO's dorm.

"Chanyeol likes to work out in the living room while Sehun and Baekhyun play their games. Junmyeon and Minseok would be arguing in the kitchen about who cooks better, but in reality, I'm the best cook, obviously. I literally have no idea what Jongin is doing most of the time. I'm pretty sure Jongdae and Yixing just watches videos of cats all day. But Yixing doesn't even know the name of his first cat, so he was really upset about that." Kyungsoo was talking with his hands, something he does when he's really into the conversation. He was also laughing as he explained.

"Do you guys get into arguments a lot?" Namjoon asked, leaning forward on the table

"Back when we first debuted, the fights were vigorous. We would fight about the simplest things. And Junmyeon, as leader, it was tough on him. But we're like brothers now, so there's nothing that we can't fix." he shrugged.

"I can't imagine living with so many people. I'm not much of a social person, which seems ironic considering my job." Namjoon chuckled to himself. His finger tracing the rim of the mug. Kyungsoo's shirt was so fitted on him, showing his muscular arms.

"But you live with Y/N." Kyungsoo pointed out. Your ears perked up at the mention of your name. You leaned closer to the wall, careful to not let them see you. "You're okay with living with her?"

"She makes the house a home. When it was just me and Rapmon, my dog, the place felt so desolate and cold. There wasn't anything about it that made me particularly happy. I would eat there, and sleep, and work. That was my daily routine. But when Y/N came into it, suddenly, it was like the lights started pouring in. I had motivation to wake up everyday, to see her her beautiful smile, and when we come home at night, we would eat dinner like a real family. Just knowing that she's there puts me at ease, I feel like I can do anything. I've honestly never been so happy in my life. She makes me want to love and receive love instead of shutting myself away. I want that for the rest of my life." Namjoon was beaming from ear to ear, his dimples were there, begging to be poked.

You felt your heart being melted by his words, your smile mirroring his. Kyungsoo was silence, but you could see his mouth starting to curl up. "So have you finished that song?"

Song? You thought, wondering what they were talking about. Your feet dragged you a few inches closer. "Y/N, what are you doing?" your mom asked, she was literally right behind you. Your turned around quickly and tripped from the shock, falling on your butt. You landed just in front of the kitchen entrance. Kyungsoo and Namjoon both turned to look at you.

"Oh my gosh, are you okay?" Namjoon asked, running over to help you up.

"So, were you eavesdropping?" Kyungsoo asked, taking a sip of his coffee. You looked at Namjoon and blushed.

"I-I didn't mean to. I just didn't want to interrupt you two, that's all.

"Right." Namjoon chuckled. "I'm just glad you didn't hear anything else." You gave him a puzzled look, but he went back to his coffee.

"You two seemed close." It was your mom that spoke, she took the words right out from your mouth.

"Ah, yes. Hyung gave me some recipes that he said Y/N likes. I'm really grateful. I can't wait to cook for you." Namjoon answered, winking at you. You smiled like an idiot. Beside you, your mom gave out a small grin.

"He's not a bad talker. At least we have more intellectual conversations than I could have with Y/N." Kyungsoo added.

"Hey, shut up. I'm intellectual too." you rebutaled.

"Sure. But anyways, I've already packed the picnic. You guys should go change and then we'll be on our way." None of you argued as Kyungsoo was probably the most organized person in the family. After changing into appropriate clothing and eating breakfast that he had prepared, you guys left the house. Namjoon offered to drive and your mom agreed, as it would take a long time by foot and the air was hotter than usual.

Your dad's grave was a little climb up the hill, but there were stairs so you never minded. The grass beside him was green and small yellow flowers peeked up from the ground. Namjoon placed the bouquet in front of the headstone while Kyungsoo set up the blanket with you taking the food out. Your mom stared at the headstone, tears streaming down her eyes, but she kept her strong composure.

"Hi, honey. I'm here with our children today." She began to tell him about what she has done at home, the new friends she met, the new hobbies she picked up on. It was so bittersweet to see her like this. He died when she was still relatively young, she could have gotten married again, but she devoted her time to being a mother. "Oh, and Y/N brought her boyfriend home. I know you would be freaking out right now if you were here, but don't worry. He's a good one, so far. I'll keep you updated."

All four of you continued eating. The sunlight was warmer on top of the hill, but there were also some light winds. It was as if your dad had manifested with nature. You always wish he was here to see what you have done since he was one of the biggest inspirations for you. He encouraged them to try your best and it's okay to fail, as long as you have given it your all. You tried your best to hold back your tears. Namjoon noticed and kissed your cheeks when your mom wasn't looking.

"Oh, Y/N, I forgot to tell you this. But Chanyeol's birthday is coming up soon, he wants you to design him a suit."

"Oh my gosh, seriously?" your eyes slowly getting bigger. "Does it mean I get to measure him?"

"Naturally, yeah, it's your job after all. Just please don't be a creep about it."

"I would never." Of course you were so excited about it. But you noticed the hair on the back of your neck was raising, his gaze burning you.

"I'll be coming with you to meet him." he said as a matter of fact.

"I was kidding. And Chanyeol is not interested in me and will never be." you said.

"She's right about that." Kyungsoo said. You gave him a smack on his arm, and he pushed you, causing you to almost fall down, but Namjoon caught you in time.

"It doesn't matter, you're mine." His lips was in a pout as he fiddled with your hand. You could tell he was annoyed, but it was cute that he's jealous. When you guys finished eating, you stayed a bit longer to say bye. Your family and you began to walk down the hill, but Namjoon was still standing by the headstone. He had told you to go down first while he finish picking up some trash.

Namjoon

I looked sadly at the stone in front of me. Below me laid someone who was important to Y/N, which means he is also important to me. I just wish he was here so that I could properly ask him for her hand.

"Hi, sir." I said quietly, I probably look silly right now. "My name is Kim Namjoon and I am in love with your daughter. I hope that you have seen how much I care about her. But I promise you I will take care of her for the rest of her life, through thick and thin. She is precious to me. I really hope I have your blessings when the time comes." I wiped the dirt off of his name.

"You have mine." a voice said. I turned to it, to see Y/N's mom standing a meter away from me, her eyes were red.

"What?"

"You have my blessings to marry Y/N." she said again. I felt a knot forming in my throat as I ran to hug her.

"Thank you, thank you so much, Mrs. Doh." I cried onto her shoulder. She patted my back, in the manner that my own mother would. It was comforting.

"Sweetie, call me eomma now."