first impressions // k. bakugou

word count: 2.3k

summary: it was a night to be remembered. pro-heroes from every agency across the country had arranged a special event for their sidekicks and employees to attend; a grand, masquerade ball, if you will. it's there that you meet an angry blond, one whose eyes hardly leave you.

...

  the pro-hero's ball was an event you'd been looking forward to for months, already having a dress and matching shoes since it had been announced in november. it was the night of, your hair styled perfectly, makeup done by one of the professional makeup artists in your agency, your black hero mask being the only thing you had decided to wear from your hero costume, and you were scheduled to be picked up within the hour, escorted by one of the highest ranking sidekicks of your agency.

  a tight-fitting, black gown hugged your figure, the deep neckline accentuating your chest as your collarbones shimmered with the highlight your makeup artist had applied. black stilettos gave you an extra five-inch height boost, your legs showing off nicely from the slit up your right leg. your hair hung in loose ringlets, shaping your face and giving you an air of elegance, though most times you felt far from such. you were definitely more of the nitty-gritty, fight-villains-all-day kind of girl, but this was a nice change. tonight, you didn't have to worry about that. tonight was a night to relax.

  you had clambered into a large suv, red riot's arm slung around your shoulders as he talked animatedly about seeing his old classmates from yuuei. he had recently transferred to your agency a few months ago due to a rise in crime in your district, and you'd grown to love the enthusiastic redhead.

  "i can't wait to see bakugou again," he grinned, "i haven't seen him since my transfer!"

  "i'm sure he'll be glad to see you as well, kiri-kun," you smiled.

  he scratched the back of his neck with his hand, "yeah, well, maybe. he's a bit of a stick in the mud, though. might be too pissed off he was forced to come."

  "oh?" you mused, "that's too bad."

  kirishima shrugged, "who knows though, maybe he changed a bit in my absence. doubtful, though. but! i'm excited to see my other old classmates, too! i hope i get to see ashido and kaminari."

  "that's the alien girl and electricity guy, right? and bakugou's the... he's the explosion guy? the one from the sports festival six years ago?"

  "yep!"

  the ride to the ball had continued with small talk and curious guesses as to what the night would include, but neither of you could have imagined the vast group of paparazzi standing outside with flashing cameras, or numerous fans awaiting the arrival of their favorite sidekicks and pro-heroes.

  you gulped, heart racing in your chest.

  yes, you were definitely considered one of the most fearless sidekicks in your agency, and you fought with the utmost confidence in your quirk and actions. but, crowds and paparazzi were definitely not your favorite. you hated being in the spotlight, and that fact certainly wasn't going to change tonight.

  kirishima, being the observant man he was, noticed your sudden anxiety and placed a warm hand on the small of your back. you jumped and looked over at him, a calm and reassuring smile on his face.

  "you can do this, (name), i believe in you," he murmured.

  you gave him a tight-lipped smile, "thanks, kiri-kun."

  "ready?"

  "as i'll ever be."

  he slipped around you, and the passenger door opened, the once-muted cries of reporters now amplified and sending a new wave of anxiety crashing over you. he slid out of the car, offering you a hand and pulling you out after him.