i'll never leave you // s. todoroki

word count: 4.5k

summary: todoroki had been your best friend since childhood, but as of late, he's been pulling away more and more. but you make a terrifying discovery when you find yourself locked in a room with the newly turned vampire.

...

"your eyes are weird."

the small boy looked up from the book he was reading, seeing a girl no older than he was; she had (hair color) hair and shining (eye color) eyes, twinkling in the sunlight. she was in a light blue sundress, a pair of sneakers on her feet.

"i like them." she sat down next to him, little hands grabbing at the blades of grass idly. "do you want to play with me?"

"uh, i—"

"great! wanna play prince and princess?"

he gulped, eyes downcast, "i-i don't know that one."

"it's easy! you be the knight in shining armor, and i'll be the pretty princess!"

you'd been five years old upon meeting todoroki shouto; he was quiet and kept to himself, usually reading underneath the single tree in the playground at recess. you were quite the opposite. if he was the darkness, you were the light. you talked to anyone and everyone you could, always going on and on about dreams or disney movies you watched.

his father was strict about friends from a young age—they were mere distractions from his studies, and he wouldn't tolerate them. so he was a bit hesitant to befriend you at first.

it took nearly a month of your pestering to play games or talking his ear off until he finally—slowly—accepted your friendship. he would nod at your wild stories, and he would play your knight in shining armor, rescuing you, the pretty princess stuck in a high tower being held hostage by a ferocious dragon (who was really your classmate kirishima eijirou).

the friendship continued through your school years, you two stuck together like glue. you were there when his own mother was so disgusted with him that she powered boiling water over his left eye. you held on to your friend with all your might, and you were the first one to hold him, to tell him it wasn't his fault, that his mother had swan dived off the deep end into a pit of despair. and he was there for you when the family you had lived with growing up was crumbling.

"todoroki-kun," you mumbled, lying in the grass as you looked up at the clouds. shapes would appear and disappear, and you both had been trying to name what you saw. a cloud could look like an elephant to one, and a lion to the other.

the boy hummed, eyes looked over his eyebrows. you two were laying against each other, the tops of your heads touching.

"will... will you stay with me? will you be my best friend forever?" the memories of your parents fighting flashed through your mind. how they'd lost all fondness of each other, how they'd lost all love for one another, how they'd left you behind in the chaos as your developing mind tried to process the family you once cherished was breaking apart.

he sat up; he twisted around to face you.

your eyes were closed, chest rising and falling steadily. but he wasn't a fool, he knew you like the back of his hand. he knew you were panicking internally. he could tell by the slight twitch of your lips and the faint tear-stains lining your temples.

"(name)," he started. his cool hand touched your shoulder, and your eyes opened. cool (eye color) meeting turquoise and silver. "i'll never leave you, and we will always be best friends, forever and ever."

you sat up, turning around and sitting across from todoroki with your legs crossed. "do you pinky promise?"

he nodded. "i pinky promise."