bad moon rising // k. bakugou

word count: 2.2k

summary: you knew you should have listened when bakugou told you to stay away, but when you were ever good at doing what you're told?

...

  since childhood, you'd always been a courageous and curious little beasty; at least, that's what your mother called you. you were always getting into some sort of trouble, whether it be defending your classmates from upperclassmen bullies in elementary school, or "don't touch that, it's hot," and burning your hand from touching a hot pan. you would stay out past sunset despite your mother's warnings, preferring to listen to the crickets and the quiet nightlife.

  it had carried into adulthood; your boyfriend was often getting on your case for being a careless idiot, but he knew you were just the epitome of "curiosity killed the cat."

  the weekend started off normal; you had arranged to run a few errands and take care of a few things at work since your boyfriend would be missing in action for the next couple days; he'd always do this, nothing new. once a month, he'd text you out of the blue.

  "family emergency, i'll come home soon."

  "work trip, i'll come home soon."

  "camping trip with kirishima, i'll come home soon."

  there was always something, though, that made you curious as to why he always seemed to disappear once a month, almost exactly a month apart. it was some wriggling thought that made you want to disregard his texts and head over to his apartment on the other side of town. you knew he wasn't cheating on you, he would never do that, and you knew it in your heart.

  "he's probably going up to help take care of his dad," kirishima said to you as he slurped his ramen, a few drops of broth landing on his cheek.

  you laughed to yourself and grabbed a couple napkins for him. "i swear, you eat like a child sometimes, kiri-kun."

  unbeknownst to you, kirishima was the only one who knew the truth of bakugou's monthly disappearances, and he was determined that as long as his friend didn't want you to know about his curse, he wouldn't let you get anywhere close to the answer. he himself found out by sheer accident, and it was a gruesome sight to see his best friend turn into something completely inhuman.

  "so you've said before," he replied with a smile. "but honestly, about baku-san, don't worry. i'm sure he's fine, you said he often takes trips away anyway, right?"

  you huffed, "that's the thing. they're always a month apart almost to the day. it's like... like a cycle. i just, if there's something going on, i just wish he would tell me. i'm sure i'd understand. it can't be too bad, can it?"

  he placed a hand on your shoulder, "that's something to bring up with your boyfriend then, huh? you should probably head over to his place to explain your side of this stuff. well, when he gets back i mean."

  "that's probably a good idea," you mumbled. "well, thank you for dinner, kiri-kun. you're always so kind to me when he's gone."

  "anytime, (name). do you want me to drive you home?" the two of you stood from your table, having already paid for your food.

  you shook your head, "that won't be necessary. i still have some business to take care of before i head back. i appreciate the offer, though. see you soon?"

  he nodded, "of course. remember, next time you're paying."

  "right!"

  kirishima watched from in front of his car as your form disappeared into the night, only streetlights casting your silhouette. he looked up to the sky with a heavy heart; the full moon shone bright in the sky.