bloodless // hawks

"hey, babybird, it's hawks, again, uh, i just wanted to check in on you. haven't heard from you in awhile, hope everything's okay. well, uh, gotta go, love you, bye!"

your chest panged and throat burned as you heard his voice echo throughout your room through the speaker. it felt like years since you'd last seen your boyfriend—perhaps it had been, maybe weeks, maybe months, you weren't too sure. time didn't feel real at the moment.

your bedroom curtains had been drawn shut, the lights turned off and only the light from the lava lamp—an anniversary gift from hawks—lit up the room, to its dull red extent.

every fiber in your body ached, but nothing came close to the fire burning in your throat. you hadn't been feeding, you couldn't really, and with everything out of whack, you weren't sure how much longer you had.

your previous donor had been arrested, and you knew the police and heroes were enforcing their defenses with each passing moment. any vampires and people helping vampires were to be arrested, tried, and, depending on which of the two, thrown in jail or murdered on the spot. vampires were seen as threats to society, a disease sent to wipe out humanity.

it had started a few years back for you—showing symptoms of blood cravings, light sensitivity, and heightened senses. you couldn't remember what had happened. all you really knew was that you left for work, black out, and woke up in your apartment with a massive headache and a deep craving for blood.

there was a knock at your front door.

your brow furrowed. you weren't expecting anyone, and no one you knew ever came over unannounced. maybe it was a neighbor knocking for a cup of sugar? if it was, they were fresh out of luck, on top of sugar. you only had food in your fridge for hawks; you had no need for grocery shopping with your diet.

the wooden flooring creaked under your footsteps. a blanket was wrapped tightly around your shoulders, but you still shook with the unbearable cold creeping across your skin, yet another symptom of your body shutting down through lack of needed nutrients. think fever, but two hundred times worse without the ability to sleep away the sickness.

"who is it?" your voice was rough as it passed your lips, and you cringed.

"babybird? it's me," hawks called from the other side of the door. "can i come in?"

your eyes widened. "n-now's not a, uh, a good time." the sweet, sweet aroma of his scent seeped through the cracks in the door, and you could already feel your fangs elongating.

"what's wrong? are you sick?" he asked.

"uh, ki-kind of, but not quite... look, i'll–"

"(name), you've been avoiding me and my calls for a few days, i'm starting to get really worried," he said. "if you're falling out of love and want to break up, please just say so."

break up? with hawks? the love of your life? "no! i'm not breaking up with you, i just–" you took in a deep breath, the burn increasing as his scent invaded your nostrils. "for your own protection, hawks, please go. i... i don't want to hurt you," you admitted quietly.

he groaned. "babybird, stop being so cryptic. you know what? i'm coming in."

"wh-what?" you panicked. you'd forgotten you gave him a spare key to your apartment a couple months ago. and it was coming back to bite you in the ass. "i-i'm fine, please. do-don't come in."

but it was too late; you could hear the jingle of the key in the door and the click of the unlocking locks. oh god, what were you supposed to do? you couldn't let him in, all you wanted to do was eat him! the door opened and hawks stepped in, shutting it quietly behind him.

"babybird?" he squinted in the darkness. "where are you?"

"please, hawks, go away," you whimpered. your voice echoed in the darkness, bouncing off the empty walls.

"i'm not going anywhere." the man stepped forward, and you narrowly missed his hand as he felt around for the light switch.

light exploded about the room, and you winced—the headache from earlier increased tenfold, bringing you to your knees as you sucked in a breath through your teeth.

"(name)! are you okay?" hawks's brow creased, and he approached as though you were a scared, wild animal. you were, albeit a little.

"stay back!" you shouted, tumbling backwards on your feet to the wall furthest from him. "i... i'm contagious! yeah, i'm contagious, so please i don't want to get you sick."

hawks frowned. "you just said you weren't sick, babybird."

"please," you whimpered as he stepped closer and closer and closer, and you could hear the blood rushing through his veins, his heartbeat steady and slow.

"if you're sick or in pain, then let me at least take you to a doctor," he said.

"no. i-i can't–i can't go there."

hawks's brows furrowed. "what are you talking about?"

his hand met your shoulder, and you flinched. oh god, it was so hard to resist him. he always smelled so sweet yet with some hint of spice you couldn't place. your fangs poked the flesh of your inner lip, and you kept your head downcast, not trusting your eyes to be their normal, human color versus the ruby red they'd became.

"babybird, look at me."

you shook your head. "i can't," you muttered. "i-i don't want to lose you. you're the best thing that's ever happened to me, and i can't—i can't lose you."

"(name), please. you're scaring me now. look at me." one of his hands cupped your cheek, and you suppressed a shudder. "babybird."

did you really think you could hide it from him forever? that the number two hero would never figure out your secret? the chances were slim to none, you realized with a resigned sigh. at least you had some time with him, right? that was all you could have asked for.

you lifted your head, teary eyed and forcing a small smile. "i'm sorry."