lost // k. bakugou, pt i

word count: 965

...

  "they say his mother was killed by a villain, and that the dad's been out of the picture since birth. katsuki... what if he hates us, thinks we're trying to replace his mom and dad?" you looked up at the blond with wide, glassy eyes.

unfortunately, you couldn't physically have kids of your own, something that weighed heavily on yours and bakugou's relationship for awhile. but, the next best thing was adoption, and you were surprised that bakugou had agreed to such a thing, especially seeing his sour mood towards children (really, you were even surprised when he wanted kids of his own). so, you and bakugou had put in the paperwork to be legally classified as suitable parents, and lo and behold, you were approved for a small, six year old boy by the name of atsuko.

"you worry too damn much, babe." he clicked his tongue, plopping down on the sofa with his legs over the cushions.

"hey! it's a very plausible thought." you snapped.

"and a stupid one, too." he grumbled and flicked on the television.

"katsuki."

"what?! quit bitchin' and come lay down with me." you frowned, but soon found yourself in the comforting warmth of your boyfriend, you anxieties being squelched for the time being.

~

"atsuko, what do you want for dinner?" you peered down at the little boy with your hands on your hips and an apron tied around your waist.

"katsudon!" the little one exclaimed with a wide grin.

"of course, katsudon it is!" you mirrored his smile and began to pull out the ingredients, atsuko disappearing into the living room to continue watching cartoons.

"you baby him too much," bakugou entered the kitchen; he poured himself a glass of water and then turned to you.

you frowned, "i just want to make him comfortable here."

"tch," he rolled his eyes, "it's been almost three months, i think he's comfortable."

"katsuki," you said in a warning tone. "go easy, he's just a kid. maybe we should set up a playdate with eiji's daughter."

"hmph, just quit babying him. he's six, (name)," and with that, your boyfriend sauntered back into the living room.

~

"bakugou katsuki, what the actual living hell are you doing to atsuko?!"

"quit bitchin', babe, we're just goofing around, right, atsuko?"

the little boy smiled, a tooth missing in his grin, "yeah! we're goofing around!"

you glared at the blond, "just be careful with him. he's not eiji-kun, he can't harden himself."

but bakugou scowled, "i think i know how to handle my quirk, thanks. i know what will and won't hurt him. just... go back to whatever you were doing. we'll be fine."

you left with an indignant huff back into the house.

~

"wait, you're... you're who?"

"i'm atsuko's biological father," the man at your front door repeated. "i'm here to retrieve my son, as the agency told me he would be at this residence."

you gulped, "you-you can't do that, we–"

"babe, he can do what he wants," the blond behind you said. "he's the rightful father, anyway."

"but... but that's not fair!"

bakugou only shrugged. his way of saying, it is what it is.

you glared and turned back to the stranger in the hallway. "i-if you could follow me this way."

~

"why did you give in so easily, after we tried so fucking hard?!"

"what was i supposed to fucking do?! tell his biological father, no, you can't fucking have him?! i just can't fucking please you anymore, can i?!"

"you could have fought a little harder! no atsuko has to live with a complete stranger!"

"and that stranger is the rightful parent of the damn kid!"

"i don't care, katsuki, i... i just–"

the blond sighed. "i think-i think it's best we go our separate ways, (name)."

"wh-what?"

"you heard me. i'll... i'll be gone in the morning."

you stood in the empty living room with tears cascading down your cheeks, arms holding your sides tightly as you struggled to not breakdown. old memories replayed in the open room like haunting movie scenes, and it took every single ounce of control not to drop to the floor and crumble into a million pieces.

even if it happened months ago, it still felt like yesterday that you'd lost both atsuko and bakugou, even if it was three months ago you lost bakugou, and just a week prior to that, you'd lost atsuko. everyone was worried about you, even kirishima who would text you updates about bakugou, as you'd asked. it hurt to hear he was doing well, much, much better than you were doing. midoriya and uraraka would stop by every once in awhile to keep you company, but no one could replace the emptiness that atsuko and bakugou left.

your phone lit up on the counter, your work's number popping up as it had been the past few months. you'd taken paid leave, and even as time was running out, you couldn't bring yourself to go back. not... not at bakugou's agency.

"hello?" you answered in a hoarse voice.

"(last name)-san, we're just checking in if you're feeling better to come to work. you only have a few days left in your time slot."

"ab-about that," you mumbled. "i realize this is irresponsible and informal on my part but... but consider this conversation my two weeks. i will not be returning to the ground zero agency indefinitely. send my regards to, uh, ground zero for such a wonderful experience working as his sidekick."

"(last name), are you–"

you hung up, dropping the phone onto the counter once more. you couldn't hold it in any longer; that was probably your last tie to ever seeing bakugou katsuki again. and, you couldn't tell if it was a good thing... or a bad thing.