x, persephone // f. tokoyami

word count: 1k

...

  you were sweaty and breathing heavy as you got changed in the locker rooms after hero training, taking off your costume with a little more difficulty than usual. you were glad you got to work with such a great partner, but your quirk could definitely use a bit more training to keep up with the student who placed third in the sports festival.

"so, (name), how was it?" ashido plopped down on the bench, taking off her own hero costume.

"how was what?" you asked.

"working with the prince of darkness!" the girl replied in an obvious tone.

your cheeks flushed at that, "it was fine."

"fine?! you should be thanking me, i'm the one that set that up!"

you reeled around, "what?!"

"yeah, ashido knows you've got a crush on him, and she thought it would move the process along," jirou said. "it's kinda cute. you know, with you so bubbly and cute and pretty much oozing happiness, and then him, the literal prince of darkness and shadows."

"it's like the hades and persephone!" uraraka exclaimed. "it's so cute! especially since you have a plant quirk, just like persephone."

you froze, an idea coming to your head. you hurried to get dressed and started to rush out of the locker rooms.

"(name), where are you going?! we're supposed to meet up with–"

"no time! idea!" you replied.

all that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream
x, persephone

tokoyami fumikage stared at the note presented in his shoe locker with confusion, his hands shaking with a slight tremble. it was a quote from his favorite author, edgar allan poe, but the signature of persephone was what confused him the most. he knew of no one by that name, though dark shadow seemed to think it was an alias.

he took a hesitant look around the hallway, hoping to catch a glimpse of someone watching him, but there was no one to be found. well, aside from you of course, as you opened your own shoe locker.

"(n-name)," he started.

you stood up straight, heart racing. he couldn't have figured it out already, could he? that was only your first note! "y-yes, tokoyami-san?"

"do... have you seen anyone near my locker recently?" he asked. if he could blush, his cheeks would be a bright shade of red.

"sorry, i haven't. something the matter?" you asked

he shook his head, "no, thank you."

and you watched as he left the shoe lockers and breathed out a sigh of relief.

i am not afraid to keep on living, i am not afraid to walk this world alone,
though honey, i will never say i don't love you like i did yesterday.
x, persephone

tokoyami stared at another one that had made it's way onto his desk while he wasn't looking. this had carried on for the past three weeks, and the poor boy was confused with every letter that kept appearing out of the blue. they obviously knew him very well, from the constant poe quotes or lyrics from his favorite songs, but he couldn't think of a single person close to him that would write the anonymous love letters.

he'd grown to like them, somewhat looking forward to seeing them every other day. he kept his favorite ones in his desk back in the dorms, and he was determined that he would be the only one to see them.

"please, take you seats," cementoss called from the front of the classroom. "today, we will be going over one of my favorite stories from greek mythology. the story of hades and persephone."

tokoyami's eyes widened, and he took a quick glance around the room to see if there was any recognition with the story. though, it was mostly all the girls that looked excited. but... you looked half-asleep, not even paying attention.

truth be told, you were a bit exhausted with trying to research witty lines for your love letters to tokoyami. it wasn't easy, and you stayed up late to write them correctly and making sure the words were legible and unlike your own distinct handwriting. you couldn't even focus on cementoss as he spoke to the class.

but, you were determined to keep on writing them until hades figured out who his persephone was.

it was during a nighttime solo training when tokoyami had finally pieced together everything, with the help of cementoss's lesson of hades and persephone. it also helped when he'd overheard ashido mina compare you to a modern day persephone as she left the locker room earlier that day.

you were working on one of your new moves, one that tokoyami watched with great interest as he searched for an opening to talk to you. but, you were too focused on building a rope of vines from your fingertips to lasso in villains for when you became a pro hero; the springtime hero, persephone. tokoyami couldn't believe he didn't figure it out right away.

tokoyami had waited until you were finished, dark shadow hovering over his shoulder as he pushed the boy to hurry up. dark shadow was definitely more excited about this than tokoyami would have ever imagined.

you let out a shaky breath, reclaiming your vines and proceeding to stretch out your muscles before heading back to the locker room to change into normal clothes once more. but, you stopped. standing in a dim corner in the room was tokoyami fumikage.

your heart thrummed wildly in your chest as you approached the boy, "sorry if i was taking too long. i saw that you had booked the training room after me."

but the boy shook his head, "no worries, i came early. i... i actually wanted to talk to you."

your brow furrowed, and you shuffled around on your feet. this was it, you had been found out. you knew it. "wh-what about, tokoyami-san?"

"i think you can tell me, persephone," the boy held a small pomegranate in his hand. "i won't drag you down into the underworld, promise."