absent // k. bakugou

if he'd done something, he didn't know what. all of the sudden, his favorite person in the world had began fading away from him. it started with canceling hangouts, and then fewer syllable texts, and then never answering or returning his calls. and he was hurt, and he was confused, and he was upset—you had dropped out of his life without warning.

bakugou katsuki didn't have many friends. none that he would claim, anyway. of course, there was shitty hair and sometimes he'd admit that discount pikachu was an acquaintance.

but the one constant, the one he never denied was his friend, the one annoying piece of shit he could never live without was you. you hanging off his shoulder as he tried to study. you shoving him in the middle of an intense video game so you could win the upper hand. you sneaking into his room late at night when the world seemed too much.

and then you just up and disappeared.

the phone started ringing, and the blond anxiously held it up to his ear. he felt fidgety, out of place in his own room, and he paced from wall to wall.

he was in love with you, the icing on the cake. kami, bakugou didn't know when it started. you were still an annoying pest like the rest of them, just a bit of a step up, but at some point, you stopped being so annoying. he began to crave those late night moments with just the two of you, when you'd weaseled your way into his room to bug him when he should have been sleeping. and he could hear your laugh and see your smile, a private show just for him.

it continued to ring. he plopped down on his bed and drummed his fingers along his thigh. still ringing. he let out an annoyed sigh and stood.

he didn't even get to talk to you during class. you'd make it there just before the bell rang for class to start, and you booked it out just as the bell rang for class to end. you'd disappear during break and lunch, the blond unable to find you in the lunchroom, in the hallways, even on that damn roof you liked to hideout on. you hid from him during hero practices, and if he tried to talk to you, you blew him off and–

"hey!"

bakugou jumped. "(name), i–"

"sorry i missed your call. leave a message, and–"

bakugou hung up and threw his phone on the bed, but it missed and hit the wall, cracked as it fell down the space between his bed and the wall he shared with kirishima. he ran his hand through his unkempt hair in frustration, and he growled a loud goddammit!

there was a knock at the door, the shadow of someone standing in front of it showing through the crack under the door. for half a second, he had the mind to tell whoever it was to fuck off, but against his judgement he begrudgingly opened the door.

shitty hair stood at the door with his usual carefree smile. "hey, bakugou! some of us are going down to the arcade, did you wanna come with? i know it's not your scene, but figured i ask anyway!"

bakugou grunted, mulling it over. yeah, he'd rather stay in than deal with the rest of the fuckasses, but what else did he have to do? the one person he cared for the most had gone missing in action. so, he shrugged, "sure, not like i'm busy."

kirishima's grin widened, and the two headed downstairs, meeting up with the rest of the so-called bakusquad and walking out to the arcade.

at some point, kaminari and sero were started playing some stupid first-person shooting game, kirishima cheering them on and ashido calling out every single target for them to hit. bakugou had stood off to the side; he was leaning on the wall, arms crossed over his chest, face pulled into a scowl.