splotches // k. bakugou

word count: 2k

summary: your agency has partnered up with the district next to yours to help find a flood-quirked villain. instead of working with your usual partner, you two have been split up to work with another sidekick from the other agency. however, being partnered with the explosive blond may expose your soulmate mark in a battle with the flood villain.

quirk: earthquake, able to send seismic waves from her fingertips much like an earthquake, very destructive both to opponent and self.

...

  everyone was born with some strange, misshapen, blackened spot on their body. the shape and location was always unique, and while the shape was shared by a person's soulmate, the location was seldom ever the same. most with marks on visible parts of their bodies let them show freely, hoping for the day they met their match; others hid theirs away, afraid of the unknown.

  you had a splotch of black in the middle of your back, one you could only see in reflections. it was an odd shape, one that reminded you of an explosion—though, everyone had some sort of oddly shaped birthmark.

  many had met their soulmates before they turned eighteen, high school sweethearts taking on a new meaning as people found their match. but, you had just turned twenty, having graduated from high school two years ago. you hadn't exactly lost hope, but you knew with the placement of your mark, it was one that was never visible. and in some odd way, you'd made peace with the belief you would never meet your soulmate, sad as it was.

  it was a chilling morning in the month of april, but you could hardly feel the nipping temperature as you ran laps around the track—your cheeks and nose red by the crisp winds. it was standard to run a few laps and warm up before the day began at your agency, a way of getting ready for what the day held, may it be a villain causing mischief, a housefire and family that needed rescuing, or just a standard patrol around the neighborhood.

  "(name)! we've got a mission!" your partner called from the top of the stadium.

  you looked up, "okay! i'm coming!" you sprinted up the stairs and entered the locker room, partner close behind. the two of you changed into your hero costumes and met up with your boss in his office.

  "there's been an outbreak of floods around the city," he announced, "we've teamed up with another agency from the district over for help. there's reason to that none of these attacks are natural occurrences. unfortunately, the two of you will be split up and assigned to another partner from the other agency. tsukiano, (last name), i expect you to respect your partners and bring honor to our agency." he handed each of you a folder regarding the case and your partner.

  "yes, sir!" tsukiano and you chorused.

  "i wish you luck! you're dismissed."

  you bowed and left the room, tsukiano following suit. you opened your file, browsing the information on the villain, what the police knew and their past assaults. you caught a glimpse of your partner, his face somewhat familiar to you.

  "can't believe we can't work together on this one," your partner whined, throwing an arm around your shoulder.

  you shrugged it off, "it'll be different, but i'm kind of excited for this."

  "maybe you'll meet your soulmate," she mused, wriggling her eyebrows in a suggestive manner.

  you scoffed and pushed her away, a small smile on your face, "as if, tsuki-san."

  "i will admit though," she started, "i'm a bit apprehensive about this villain. being able to cause floods and all, are you going to be okay?"

  you nodded, "of course! besides, i did intern with one of the seaside agencies. perhaps if the flood is high enough i can create a tsunami."