incendiary // k. bakugou

word count: 4k

summary: you'd always been fascinated by the stories of the dragon king bakugou katsuki, always adventuring to find the boy throughout your childhood. but after being left behind to fend for yourself, you accidentally wander into the explosive boy's territory.

...

  growing up, you'd heard the tales of mythical creatures that used to roam the earth.

  dragons that lived in the mountain tops and hoarded treasure in caves, burning alive those that dared cross them with their fire-breathing, elves that kept to the forest and glided along with an elegance, bewitching all of those with their beauty if their gaze were to ever fall to the graceful creatures, faeries that hid in lush gardens and meadows, causing mischief to those who came across the little creatures.

  you were awestruck, staying up late and sneaking out to the bonfires of your camp just to listen and learn of these fascinating stories. you would often dream of these creatures, but the one that caught you the most was the story of the dragon king.

  he was said to be young, a kid just a year or so older than you were, but his power was rumored to rival the gods. they said he could speak to the dragons, tame them, riding them high into the skies and then sleeping with them in their caves. the storytellers said he himself was a rare breed, one of the last few alive, if not the only one, who could speak the dragons' language.

  bakugou katsuki–the feared dragon king.

  you would often find yourself seeking out the young dragon king in your travels; you wanted to know if it was just a story, much like the unicorns and mermaids in other fairytales. but like all kids, you had to grow up someday. you were nearly an adult when you realized that dragons no longer existed, and elves had hidden themselves away that everyone doubted they were truly real, and the faeries were just imaginary beings that were invented to entertain little girls and boys.

  years passed, and you were approaching your twentieth birthday; you had long since abandoned your family–or rather, they abandoned you. they had other mouths to feed, and they couldn't afford to watch over you while they had other little ones. you didn't mind much, you had no desire to be a travelling merchant, but rather an explorer, just as your childhood self would have wanted. still, it hurt to be left behind.

  but often times, surviving on your own wasn't all that easy. you had quickly learned of the world's unforgiving and hostile ways, a lesson that was taught by hard times. lessons that erased any childhood innocence you possessed.

  you walked quietly down the beaten path with your hood over your head; the cloak gave you little sense of warmth, and you needed to set up camp soon. the sun was beginning to dip into the hills, the sky painted with pinks, purples, and oranges. your stomach growled, and you bit your lip. you didn't have anymore food, and you didn't have anymore bows left to catch a rabbit or squirrel.

  you dipped between the trees as you left your path in search of a clearing–somewhere you could set up your makeshift tent and a fire to keep you warm. you grabbed a few spare twigs and branches for your fire on your quest to find the clearing, and you did so within the last few minutes of daylight. you pitched your tent and set up a circle of stones.

  the clearing wasn't much–it certainly wasn't home–but the makeshift camp would have to do; you lit the fire and sat down in front of it. the flames licked at your fingers as you placed your hands in front of the burning fire.

  the forest was quiet, only the faint sounds of skittering animals or the chorus of crickets could be heard. the full moon gave a slight shine to the forest, lighting the tops of the trees and the camp within the small clearing with its glow. the crackling fire burned steadily, the occasional pop merging the symphony of the forest. the winds howled amongst the trees, and the wolves joined in.