||Chapter 1||

(y/n)'s Pov

You made your way out of the guest bedroom and approached a wandering maid,

"Excuse me.." you sheepishly called out, your long golden tresses flowing gracefully behind you as your white dress dragged slowly.

To the common eye, you would have looked like an angel, sent to bless middle-earth with your delicate voice and beauty that could surpass any elleth that dared to compare.

At least that's what people often said.

The maid bowed, suddenly feeling nervous, "Yes My lady? How may I assist you?" She stood to her full height and tried not to fiddle in your presence.

You smiled kindly and let your melodic voice fill her awaiting ears, "I wish to go to my parents."

The maid nodded, seemingly in a trance and started to lead you towards the throne room.

"What is your name?" you asked in the foreign tongue—english.

The maid looked startled before squeaking her name in a hushed whisper, "Elbereth Soliel.."

You nodded in response and gave a small smile.

As you approached the throne room, voices could be heard inside, you could hear the king—and one that sounded more close to your age.

Elbereth raised a closed fist and rapped it against the oak doors.

The guards opened it with confirmation.

"My king." you bowed, before approaching your naneth and ada with careful and graceful steps.

You had just noticed the ellon standing beside the king upon reaching your parents, his golden hair shined as his electric blue eyes bore into yours.

A smile tugged at your lips, "You must be prince Legolas. It's an honor to meet you." you greeted, curtsying as well.

"And you must be Lady (y/n)." He took your hand and placed a kiss upon your pale hand.

You felt an electric shock pulse through where he had kissed, making you blush.

Despite the fact that you had not wanted this marriage, maybe he could change your mind.

~•~

Legolas' Pov

A faint smile graced my face as I lay my eyes on the elleth before me, although I did not wish to do any of this, maybe her company would make things better.

I almost sighed in frustration, why oh Erú, why must I be bond in marriage without love?

I mentally asked the god above. Hoping they would answer my prayers.

"Ada, naneth. Does the prince agree to the proposal?" The elleth asked, I turned to her and unknowingly nodded.

"Legolas is more than thrilled." My ada stated.

Nothing about this is thrilling.

I bit my lip from speaking any ill words that go against my kin.

Instead I settled on a smile.

"Legolas, why don't you take (y/n) out to the gardens?" My ada asked, I nodded numbly and gingerly took the elleth's hand in mine.

I led her towards the garden, the grass swayed under us as we neared a bench.

(y/n) sat first and a troubled sigh escaped pass her lips.

I sat down beside her and asked, "What troubles you my lady?"

I could feel her glancing at me, as I looked out into the beauty nature has gifted in this realm.

"Please, call me (y/n). We are to be wed after all." she mumbled sadly.

A sigh escaped my lips as well, "I take it your parents put you up to this affair?" I asked in confusion.

Could it be possible? That her and I are in the same page? That we both didn't want this?

She nodded, "I'm terribly sorry Prince Legolas.. But I fear my heart belongs to another. Though I know not of who they are, I still wait."

I felt relieved that she didn't wish to be wed to me, and yet I also felt my heart clutching at her words.

I nodded, choosing not to answer.

"All this is for my people." I heard her say, my head perked up at this.

"That is my thoughts as well, land and people first have needs, that we may not deny." I said, my mind swirling with the cost of being born with a crown.

She frowned, and I suddenly felt the need to cheer her up.

"There is one good thing that comes out in all of this." I grinned cheekily, turning to her.

"And what would that be?" She asked softly, her lips curling into a smile.

"Friendship." I laughed, she laughed with me—her laugh sounded like a thousand bells ringing.

The sun was already setting and there I had realised how tired I was.

I stood up, reaching a hand out to the elleth I now see as my friend.

"Come (y/n) let us head to supper and retire for the night." I suggested with a smile.

She stood up and placed her hand upon mine, she held onto my elbow as we walked back inside to have supper.

~•~