Part Ten: Hold On I Still Need You

Five Hours After

Tom's POV

It was now pitch-black outside; the sun had fallen behind the horizon hours ago. I held her left hand and Haz held her right. Nothing had changed, she still was unconscious, and her hands still felt cold. A doctor would come in every hour or so, check the numbers displayed on the screens above her head, and write them down in a folder. I looked back at Haz, sitting across the bed, his face had remained expressionless. He hadn't said a single word to me since we got here, I know that he blames me.

Watching her lying here made my heart hurt, I would switch places with her in an instant. I kept thinking about the last kiss we had before I left. Why was I so stupid? I should have come back sooner. Every day I wasn't with her, I was missing her. I looked back at her pale face, and I found myself praying that the kiss before I left wouldn't be our last.

Eleven Hours After

I was woken up by the bright sunlight that streamed through the window. Haz and I had taken turns sleeping last night. I hated when it was my turn to sleep, I was afraid she was going to wake up while I was out cold. Every hour or so a doctor or nurse would walk in and check the numbers on the screen. They had gone up a bit, I didn't know if that was good or bad. There was a knock on the door that shattered my thoughts.

"Hello boys," The man said, he was the same man who brought Haz and me from the waiting area to Lucy's room. "I am sorry, I realize I never properly introduced myself. I am Doctor Goddard, the head doctor on Lucy's case. Do you guys have any questions?"

"The numbers have been going up on the machines, is that a bad thing?" I asked worriedly.

"Actually, that's a good thing, we think she's getting ready to wake up." Dr. Goddard said with a smile.

"Doctor Goddard to the ER, Goddard to the ER." A voice said over the intercom.

"Well, duty calls." He said as he left the room.

"Haz, talk to me," I said looking at him. "Look I know you blame me for what happened to Lucy,"

"I don't blame you, I blame myself," Haz said cutting me off. "I was supposed to be home earlier, and maybe if I was there, I could have stopped her." Haz said standing up.

He paced around the room, a few tears traced a path down his cheeks. "I'm sorry, I need to get some air." He said walking out of the room.

I looked back at Lucy, I could be seeing things, but it seemed like some of the color was returning to her face. I looked out the window, the sun was shining brightly overhead. The sky was clear, with only a few puffy white clouds blowing by. Haz still hadn't returned, I knew it was hard for him to deal with what was going on. I wanted to fix everyone; Haz was broken, Lucy was hurt, and my heart was aching. My world was spinning on the wrong axis, and I needed it to stop. I looked back at Lucy, lying still. "Please hold on Lucy, I still need you."

About twenty minutes after Haz had left the room, he came back.

"Any change?" He asked me as he sat down.

"They say her numbers are going up and that it's a good thing," I responded looking back at her pale face.

Time Skip 25 hours after

All day the numbers on the screens kept climbing, little by little. Haz still kept to himself, hardly saying anything to me.

"I'm getting food." Haz said getting up from his chair. I watched him walk out of the room and down the hall to the elevators.

I looked back at Lucy, the color had fully returned to her face, making it seem like she was only sleeping. I looked out the window at the birds flying by, and off in the distance, I could see storm clouds approaching.