Part Sixteen: Haz the Badass?

Tom's POV

I followed the security man to an office behind the front desk in the lobby. There were desks with computer screens showing the various floors.

"When was the last time you talked to your friend?" The man identified as Doug by his badge.

"I talked to him three hours ago, I told him where I was and he said he was coming."

"That's it?" Doug said looking at the computers.

"A lady said he gave up his spot in the line to get information after I called him," I said looking around the room.

He searched the cameras flicking through different floors and elevators. Nothing.

"Jerry, why is camera 28 down in the south-west elevator bank?" Doug asked a man sitting in a chair to our left.

"Look, I don't know Doug this' the first time I'm hearing about it," Jerry said before taking a sip of coffee.

"Well, it's your job to know about it, Jerry." Doug said getting angry, "If get we sued it's on you."

Doug walked briskly out of the office stopping at the doorway, "Kid, follow me."

I walked behind him as we went to the bank of elevators. He put a key in one of the call panels. He turned it left, then right. I heard an elevator start coming down. When it reached the floor, he had it go up to the top floor. He turned the key once more, no sound.

"Uugh." He said annoyed. He pulled a black radio from the deep pockets of his black cargo pants.

"Fourth elevator south-west bank is offline. I need it to come to the lobby." He said.

"On it." A female voice said, "I'm gonna repel down the shaft."

Within ten minutes he got another message from the female on the radio. "The electric cables are cut, I'm gonna get the kid out and get him to the fourth floor."

"Thank you, Jen." He said before turning to me.

"Kid, your friend is gonna be on the fourth floor in a few minutes, head up there and get him. We apologize for this whole situation." Doug said before walking slowing out of the bank of elevators back towards the front desk.

I stepped on an elevator and hit the four. When I got there, I saw the doors to another elevator open, I walked over and looked down the shaft. Haz was tied with a makeshift harness and he was climbing up the elevator shaft.

"Haz!" I shouted down towards him.

"Hey, Tom look what I got myself into." He said still climbing up a ladder. A woman, who I presumed to be Jen was standing on top of the elevator car holding ropes to catch Haz if he fell.

"Pretty badass, wouldn't you say?" Haz said laughing as he neared me.

"I mean if getting stuck in an elevator for four hours is badass, I guess." I teased.

"Harrison grab the handle on the side of the door and pull yourself onto the floor," Jen shouted from below.

Haz grabbed a small handle and threw his upper body onto the tiled floor. I grabbed his belt and pulled the rest of him out of the elevator shaft. Soon Jen was standing in front of us.

"How'd you do that so quickly?" Haz asked her astonished.

"Practice, lots and lots of practice." She responded before starting to untie Haz's harness. When she was finished, she pulled the heavy doors of the elevator shaft shut and started walking down the hallway.

"Have a nice day Harrison." She shouted before turning a corner and disappearing from sight.

"Lucy is on the fifth floor, come on," I said walking towards an elevator across the hall.

"Hell no, I'm not taking one of those things ever again. I'm taking the bloody stairs." Haz said walking towards the stairs.

I ran in front of him, "Race you there." I shouted leaving Haz in my dust.