Part 12: The Man In The Mirror

I froze, I looked around for the man. I saw a mirror high up on the wall. The man was standing around the corner ha started walking closer. Each step he took made my heart pound faster. Tom you have two options. Run or hide. Of course, me being the person I am, I decided to run. I ran towards the stairwell door and threw it open.

"Get back here!" The man yelled. I didn't listen I was practically flying down the stairs, taking them two at a time. Please let the police be in this stairwell I thought as I heard the creaking of the heavy metal door open. I looked back and saw the man racing towards me only a flight or two away.

I felt my shoelace whipping around as it came untied. I didn't have time to stop and tie it. I grabbed onto the handrail and flew around the corner, finally getting some distance between the man and me.

I had three flights left to go, the man's footsteps still echoed in the stairwell behind me. Then I tripped falling head over heels down the last flight. The last thing I remember was the man falling over my limp body.

Haz's POV

Tom had run out of the cafeteria, I understood he wanted to get to Lucy but, putting his life on the line was definitely stupid. The lady who later identified herself as Shonda kept muttering how stupid he was.

All thirty of us were sitting shoulder to shoulder on the floor of the kitchen, sharing life stories, and laughing about the past. I meet a guy named Luke who was here for his mothers' surgery, she had stage three ovarian cancer and only had a couple of months to live. There was this other girl who was here because her husband fell off a ladder when he tried to replace a light bulb. By the time the police had cleared the hospital everyone who was huddled in the kitchen was a family. We shared funny stories of our loved ones who were here. I told Luke about the time Lucy went to a carnival, proceeded to eat as much fried dough as she could; and thought it was a good idea to ride in the monkey cages twice. Let's just say she promised to never do that again.

"Okay, kids you can get back to your people," Shonda said ushering us out of the small kitchen.

I walked out and found Tom's phone sitting on the table. I wasn't surprised that he had left it; I mean he is constantly dropping it or leaving it places. I have seriously considered taping it to him.

I walked to the elevator and went up to the seventh floor. as soon as I stepped off the elevator I was stopped.

"Sorry sir, but this floor is closed." A man in police uniform said. I looked around as best I could and saw a pool of blood by the nurse's station.

"My best friend's room is on this floor though," I said hoping he would let me by.

"All of the patients on this floor are being moved to a different floor. The people at the front desk can give you more information." The man said. "Please go there."

I turned around and walked back toward the elevator.

Tom's POV

I woke up in a bed in the busy ER. Doctors and nurses were running around. I looked to my left and saw the guy I hid under the desk with.

"Hey mate, how are you?" I said.

He looked towards me, a faint smile played across his lips, "Pretty good considering I survived a shooting."

I looked at his arm, his bicep was all bandaged up. "Did you get shot?" I asked.

"Yep, still hurts like a bitch." He said. "I'm Jonathan by the way."

"I'm Tom," I replied.

"Is your friend okay?" Johnathan asked me.

"I-I don't know," I said sadness painting my voice.

"Hey, Nancy!" Johnathan shouted over the hustle and bustle of the ER.

"What is it now, Johnathan?" She asked smiling.

"My friend here, er, Tom, wants to know how his friend is," Johnathan said smiling at her.

"Are you family?" Nancy said turning to me.

"No, but she's my girlfriend," I told her.

"Johnathan you know as well as I do, I can't tell him anything, HIPPA and all." She said starting to walk away.

"Nancy, please," Johnathan said after her.

"Her name is Lucy Reid," I called after her.

"Sorry bud, at least we tried right?" Johnathan said looking back at me.

"Yeah," I responded looking at the ceiling tiles.

"She's being moved to fifth-floor recovery, she's awake," Nancy said walking briskly by.