Part Fifteen: Glad You Stayed

Tom's POV

I sat with Lucy for a couple of hours, both our tears had finally dried.

"Lucy, everything bad that's happened is my fault. As much as I hate to say it, if I hadn't stuck around the night after the party you would be healthy and happy and Haz wouldn't hate me." I started, but Lucy cut me off and grabbed my hands.

"If you hadn't stayed that after the party, maybe things would be different, but how would you feel if you left?" She asked looking deeply in my eyes.

"if you want the truth, I would hate myself for not sticking around. I fell in love with you that night and if I left, I would never forgive myself. Lucy you are such an amazing person and you make me so incredibly happy. If I had left, I would be missing out on loving you." I said holding her hands tightly. Everything I said was true, if I left that night, I would be missing out on the greatest love story of my life.

"Tom," She started, "I'm glad you stayed." She smiled looking up at me.

I leaned in and kissed her, she pulled away and looked at the clock on the wall. "We called Haz a while ago, shouldn't he be here by now?" She asked.

"Yeah," I said leaning over her to grab the phone by her bedside. I dialed Haz's number, straight to voice mail. I tried my number, and I got an automated voice telling me that the call had failed. Strange, he would have to be somewhere without cell service. The whole hospital had really good service because it's a hospital and they would have to rely on cell service if there was an emergency and they didn't have Wi-Fi.

"I'll be back in a sec." I said getting up. I walked out of the room to the nurse's station, hoping they could help me find him.

"Hi, I'm um, trying to get a hold of my friend." I said to one of the nurses.

"Did you try calling him?" He asked not looking up from the computer.

"Yeah, it didn't go through." I answered.

"Well, is he in the hospital?" He asked.

"He was." I said, "I think he's still here."

"Well, there isn't anything I can do from here. Security might be able to help. Go down to the front desk in the lobby." He said spinning around in his chair as an alarm rang through the floor. An automated voice said, "Code Blue Recovery 523."

I went back to Lucy's room and sat back in the chair. "Anything?" She asked.

"He said I would have to go to the front desk downstairs."

"Go, find Haz." She said ushering me out.

"Okay bossy," I teased walking out.

I walked over to the bank of elevators. When I reached the lobby on the first floor I walked over to the desk.

"Hi, I am looking for my friend. A nurse on the fifth floor said security could help." I said to the lady.

"Wait here." She said getting up from the chair.

I turned around and looked out at the waiting room. "By any chance is the person you are looking for about 5'10 and has brown hair?" A woman said walking up to me.

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"There was a young man, around your age in fact, who gave up his spot in line earlier today. He mumbled something about a Lucy." The woman said.

"Where did he go?" I asked hoping she knew where Haz went.

"He ran towards the elevators." She answered pointing to the bank of silver elevators. "That's all I know, sorry."

"Thank you." I said smiling.

I turned back to the desk as a man with a badge reading 'Security' walked out behind the desk.

"Are you looking for your friend?" He said looking me up and down. He was a larger man with wide shoulders, and his muscles bulged from under his navy blue shirt.

"Yes." I answered looking him square in the eyes.