Part Eleven: Ricochet

Tom's POV

It was Tuesday, three days since Lucy tried to kill herself. Her color had returned yesterday but she still wasn't awake. Haz and I were down at the cafeteria, I looked down at the food on the tray in front of me; the only thing that looked appealing was the jello.

"Haz are you gonna eat that?" I said pointing to the red jello cup on his tray. He looked down and pushed the jello off his tray and towards mine.

"Please talk to me," I said looking up at him. He looked around the room, then back down at the table.

"I don't blame you for this." He said poking the food on the tray with a plastic fork. "I blame myself, if I hadn't decided to go and get lunch, I would have been home sooner."

Just after Haz finished talking, the was a loud bang followed by a blaring alarm. The doctors that were scattered in the cafeteria, stood up immediately and ran out locking the doors behind them.

"Listen up everybody, leave everything on the table and come into the kitchen." A bigger woman said as she walked out of the kitchen. "We have an active shooter in the building, and that's all we know at this time."

Haz and I stood up and walked towards the kitchen. I watched as the other people in the cafeteria ran towards the woman. Right before I walked into the kitchen I froze, Lucy. I thought. I ran towards the doors that lead to the rest of the hospital. I pulled on every door hoping one would be unlocked.

"Boy, get your ass back here!" The woman yelled stepping out of the kitchen. I ignored her and kept on trying the doors.

"This is the last time I'm tellin' ya, get your ass back here." She yelled.

Finally, the door farthest from the kitchen was unlocked. I threw the door open and ran down the hall elevator. I skidded to a stop in front of the bank of silver doors. None of the lights were on. I turned around looking for the stairwell. I remember seeing a door marked stairs a little while back. I ran back towards the cafeteria retracing my steps. I found the dark heavy door marked stairs. I pulled it open. I ran up the flights of stairs, taking them two at a time. Down below I could hear the heavy footsteps of what I hoped was the police.

It seemed like I was running up the stairs for hours. I was breathing heavily by the time I reached the door marked '7'. I pulled the door open and walked into the empty hall way. The floor was eerie, the emergency lights cast a soft glow, I winced as I heard each step, I took echo though the empty floor. I walked past the nurse's station, and suddenly I found myself in a head lock.

"What are you doing here?" A deep male voice demanded. I tried to twist around so I could see who it was, but the man just tightened his grip. I smelled antiseptic and hair gel.

"Uh, I'm looking for my girlfriend." I said, hoping the man was a doctor.

The head lock loosened, and I spun around. Standing in front of me was a man in his early thirty's, dressed in blue scrubs.

"We are under lockdown; how did you get up here?" He asked quietly, and he pulled me behind the large desk.

"I was in the stair well when the alarms went off." I lied.

I could hear footsteps approaching slowly from down the hall. "Get under here." The man whispered pulling me under the heavy desk.

We sat there quietly, listening to the footsteps getting closer and closer. The man leaned over and whispered in my ear. "Don't make a single sound." At this point I knew that the footsteps down the hall were't the footsteps of someone we want to find us.

I heard the heavy clink of something metal being put down above my head. I saw a pair of large black shoes walk over behind the desk. Whoever it was, was wearing dark wash jeans and a t-shirt. The person started typing in the computer above us, grunting every so often.

Then the person yelled out in anger and a loud shout rang out. I head the snapping of electricity above us. The black shoes started walking away slowly, pausing often. I turned to peak my head above the desk.

"No!" The man next to me whispered grabbing my arm tightly. He pulled me back to the cold tile floor. "We don't move until the police clear this floor."

"That's going to take forever." I whispered back. "When I was walking up the stairs, they had hardly cleared the second floor."

"We wait." He said not letting go of my arm.

I felt around for my phone. Damn, I thought, I left it in the cafeteria.

"Do you have a phone?" I asked the man.

"It's in the nurses lounge at the end of the hall, and no you cannot go and get it." The man said.

We sat under the desk for two hours, the whole time I was thinking about Lucy. What if she woke up? She would be so scared right now. I wanted to see her, scratch that, I needed to see her. Just as I got out from under the desk a shot rang out.

"I knew someone was up here." A man called out, his footsteps approached.