Chapter Seven

Closing the door, she prayed that Lisa wouldn't take too long. As she walked to her room it appeared that the door next to hers was open. Edging closer she saw the brunette tying her shoelaces.

"Hey Jennie," she stopped.

Jennie looked behind her as she quickly got up.

"Hey Chae, did you just come from Lisa's?"

"Yeah. She's busy with some online auction so now I have to wait before we can get some food."

"Well Jisoo is super absorbed in her videogame and I came back to make dinner. Why don't you join me? We'll make enough food for those two idiots as well," Jennie opened her door wider.

Chae graciously accepted the offer and Jennie grinned at the way the younger woman's eyes lit up. As Jennie switched on the lights, Chae was given an opportunity to look over her apartment. Three of the walls in the living room each held a different painting while the couches were black in colour. It worked well with the interior of the rest of the room and the curtains were decorated in intricate patterns. As Jennie led them to the kitchen she observed that the lights could be made dimmer or brighter. The kitchen was clean and unlike Lisa's, the fridge had actual food in it.

"Is roasted chicken okay?" Jennie questioned

"Sounds good to me. I can prep the veggies," Chae walked up to the counter.

They settled next to each other. Jennie worked on cleaning the chicken after putting on some music. Finishing peeling the potatoes Chae began working on the onions. Jennie was busy deciding on which spices to use and throughout the process neither had said much. They were content with leaving each to the other's own thoughts. Jennie brought the spices from the cupboard as she heard Chae sniffing. The red head looked up slightly blinking the wetness away. She felt a hand on her back as she tried to go back to chopping. Looking up she saw that Jennie was next to her.

"Let's switch," Jennie stated.

Chae saw no room to argue and they switched positions. Out of the corner of her eye she watched as Jennie chopped the onions expertly. She was amazed that the brunette's eyes didn't tear up once. Holding the chicken spice in mid-air she wanted to know how Jennie did that.

"Practice," said Jennie.

"I envy you. I love cooking but since I was a kid I always get teary when I chop onions. It's damn annoying."

"Then it must be in the genetics," Jennie teased.

"No fair," Chae huffed.

Jennie laughed at the childish reaction as contemporary jazz filled their ears. Neither Lisa nor Jisoo were fans of making food and Jennie had always been the only one who preferred home cooked meals. She was glad that there was someone who seemed to share that sentiment. Chae helped her stuff the chicken with the veggies and they placed the tray in to the oven. High fiving they made their way to the living room to wait. Laying her head on to the couch, Jennie smiled.

"It's been a while since someone willingly cooked a meal with me," said Jennie.

"Well, you basically saved me from starvation. I'm quite sure Lisa is still busy," Chae shook her head.

Peering at her phone Jennie saw that it was just past 5pm. The music played on quietly and they both were content to just listen. There was a brief pause as the song changed to Nina Simone's I'm feeling good. Closing her eyes Chae found herself lost in the song. She began to sing. As she finished the first verse, Jennie joined her. She opened her eyes as they harmonised perfectly. They finished the song excitedly.

"You have a really beautiful voice Jennie," Chae looked at her in admiration.

Suddenly Chae got up and told her that she would be right back. Jennie watched as the red head left in a hurry. She heard a door open and then close. Soon after Chae was back with a guitar Jennie had seen in Lisa's place before.

"Can you believe Lisa really is still on the auction thing," Chae closed the door.

She settled next to Jennie and began to tune the instrument. Chae explained how Jennie just inspired her and that they should have a jam session. The brunette's eyes bulged at the suggestion. Chae asked her which song she would sing next.

"You mean like alone?'' Jennie asked

"Yip, I'll play. You sing and just like that we make magic together," Chae grinned.

Her bubbly persona was infectious and Jennie found herself thinking of a song. Once she decided she asked if Chae could play Super Rich Kids by Frank Ocean. Nodding Chae said that she would count to three and then Jennie could begin. Taking in a deep breath Jennie waited for the cue.

As she sang softly, Chae got an opportunity to really take a look at the other girl. Dark hair framed a delicate face with flawless skin and fine freckles. Her slanted eyes spoke in a language Chae desired to understand. She nodded along as Jennie began to rap. She could see that she was really in to it. Chae listened as pure sweetness escaped passed the brunette's lips. The song ended and Jennie felt rejuvenated.

She had really enjoyed that and the way Chae had looked at her gave her so much encouragement. She thanked her and complimented her ability to play the instrument so well. Chae's lips turned up slowly and Jennie liked the way it made the other girl looked. She told Chae that now it was her turn.

"How can you expect me to follow that?" Chae teased

"Aw please, I basically just serenaded you. It's only fair that you return the favour," Jennie scooted closer as she pouted.

Unable to deny her, she gave in. It took her a moment to think of a song. She decided that it would be Gone by Nsync. Playing the guitar, Chae delivered a performance. She sung in a way that made you nervous to relinquish your attention. Jennie's breath hitched as Chae powerfully sang the bridge. There was an element of anguish in Chae's voice and it made Jennie tremble.

When Chae was done she held Jennie in the depth of her eyes. The brunette was mesmerised by the way Chae looked at her. Jennie felt like she was the only thing the red head saw. Chae turned to the side knowing she had stared too long. She began to play a different song in an attempt to strum out the pulse of her heart. Jennie breathed in the atmosphere.

"You're really talented. Thank you, for sharing that with me," Jennie looked at the floor as she smiled.

"I was having fun and your presence made it easier,'' Chae enjoyed the brunette's coy behaviour.

The alarm on Jennie's phone rang vigorously. The chicken should be done. Turning off the timer, Jennie got up to go check. Needing a bit of space to gather her thoughts Chae decided to stay in the living and continued playing with the guitar.