Birthday Girl

Millie
I opened my eyes to the curtains wide open. I yet forgot to close my curtains again. I climbed out of bed and looked to the calendar. My birthday has finally arrived and all I could think about is what my family are going through with Ava. We still have no news of her coming home.

Today is my birthday and all I wanna do is focus on my sister getting better than focusing on my stupid birthday that I have every year.

"Knock knock. I heard it was someone's birthday!" I heard Paige say. She had a smile on her face and fame in with a small cupcake. "Sorry about that. Mom and dad are..."

"Are at the hospital." I say without faking a smile. Paige lose her smile and frowned.

"They wanted to be here." Paige tried.

"Forget it. I don't want a birthday. I only want my sister better and home." I spoke and sat on my bed.

"She will." Paige joined me. "You just got to think of how brave she is and how she's fighting."

"I can't go see her even if I wanted too." I told Paige.

"Neither can we. Me and Charlie are in over our heads with this all. Charlie is failing his grades and I'm sure dad is going to lose his job if he doesn't turn up." That made me worry more. If my dad lost his job he would be jobless and we would end up living on the streets.

"Can't work let him take a couple days off, seen as it's his daughter." I ask.

"I'm afraid not. His work is tight." Paige spoke.

"Dad should of been freelance instead." I spoke looking ahead.

"Yeah." We stayed quiet for a moment until Paige noticed the cupcake and flame. "So, you gonna blow out your candle?" I look to the cake and stared at it until I thought of a wish. I blew out the candle and gave the cake to Paige. "Don't you want it?" She asks me.

"No. I'm not hungry." I answer. Suddenly there was a knock on the door and I peered and saw Finn. He smiled and looked at me and Paige.

"I'll be back." Paige gets up and leaves. Eyeing Finn before she walks off. Finn walks in and smiles.

"Happy Birthday!" Finn said.

"Thanks." I say looking down.

"What's up?" He asks.

"Today... it's meant to be my day but all I can think about is Ava." I looked down again, as my eyes begin to tear up.

"Hey. Look here." Finn sat next to me. Pulling my head up by my chin. "Ava will be okay. I'm sure she would wish you a happy birthday if she could." Finn spoke. "Maybe she needs a miracle."

"I doubt it." I answer. I look down at my hands on my lap. He grabs my hand and I look up to his face.

"Let's go out today. Spend the day in town or somewhere nice." He says. I look into his eyes and get lost in them. "Millie?"

"Yeah." I answer. How dreamy was his eyes right now? But first I should get dressed.