Chapter 3

How many hours had I been sleeping? I felt the layers of unconsciousness falling away, aware of the drone of the aircraft engines and someone calling my name.

"Lexy. Babe wake up sleepy head we'll be landing in an hour." It was like coming to the surface after swimming deep in the oceans, little bubbles of air rising, each a memory of my pre-sleep hours.

I slowly opened my eyes, adjusting them to the sunlight now slanting through the plane's windows. Shannon's arm was still wrapped protectively around my waist, his hand rubbing gently against my back as he tried to raise me from the deep.

"I thought you'd never wake up. Do you always sleep so deep?" He smiled as I blushed again, remembering my bag and the condoms he'd picked up and slipped back inside to hide my embarrassment. "I must have been exhausted," I admitted, shifting my body so he could move. He must be aching after hours spent curled up in such a confined space.

"Did you get any sleep?" I asked, letting my eyes drift over his face, noticing the tattoo of dots and lines tracing down his neck. "Yeah, I was out of it for a while. Not quite as deep a you though," he smiled, digging me in the ribs and laughing as I squirmed away with a yelp. "Why don't you go and freshen up before we get to LA. The toilet's just down the aisle and we've got plenty of time before we need to belt back up. Move babe!" He playfully pushed me away. Did he just call me "Babe" again? I'd only met Shannon a matter of hours ago and has just woken up in his arms, on a plane, thousands of miles from home. Jesus what was happening. I grabbed my wash bag from the mess that was my other bag, and pushed his legs aside, my elbow grazing his upper thigh, noticing the growing tightness of his jeans as I sat up in my seat.

"I won't be long then you can freshen up. You look like you could handle a cold shower Shan." I smiled as he looked up at me with a wicked glint in those sexy eyes. Fuck, did I just say "cold shower". The altitude was getting to me. As I moved to get up, his hand snaked out and grabbed my upper arm. He pulled himself into a seated position, trailing his fingers through my hair, pushing it behind my ears. He leaned in, his warm breath tickling my lobe: "Go now before it's too late," he whispered. My insides were churning. I daren't turn my head, knowing if I did our lips would touch. The tension surrounding us was electric and I was glad the flight wasn't packed, worried that whatever was happening between us would be gossip for the masses.

"Shannon ... I need the washroom NOW! You'd better move and let me pass." This time I broke the spell, standing up and smoothing my dress down as I walked carefully down the aisle and opened the toilet door. I didn't glance back, feeling a knot of sexual tension in the pit of my stomach, extending into my aching limbs. I locked the door behind me, focusing my attention on my sleep creased face, clothes and bed head hair. Did I really look this bad? I leaned my face against the cool of the mirror, letting the warmth of my breath mist away my reflection. I could feel my heart thumping as I took even deeper breaths to try to reach my still place where I could order my thoughts and regain some form of composure. I needed the butterflies in my stomach to ease off and the fog in my head to clear before I headed back into the cabin. I hadn't dated anyone for over a year now ... but fuck .... Shannon had sent a shockwave through my body and I was having serious problems controlling my reaction to him.

I wiped the palm of my hand across the misted mirror, reminding myself of the task at hand. My cheeks were flushed, my hair tangled from sleep and my eyes, well they just looked puffy and tired. Shit! I rummaged though my toiletries, wiping away the remains of my mascara, brushing my hair out and generally making the best of a bad job. Well it was a damn sight better than the Lexy that walked in 10 minutes ago.

I sat down on the toilet, aware that my breathing was still shallow and the tension still gripped my stomach like a vise. I listened to the thrum of the plane's engines and slowly breathed in to the count of three and out to the count of four. This usually calmed me down when nerves got the better of me. I let myself zone out in this state, time drifting away as I let myself go.