Chapter 6

"I have to go Jared," I said, pushing myself up from the sofa and away from his naked body and questioning eyes.

I could just make out my clothes in a messy pile on the floor. I moved quickly, my thoughts muddled, and sight blurred by a haze of tears. I needed a shower, I needed to clean myself, scrub myself clean, scrub away these feelings that would haunt me for too long.

"Lexy, stop." His voice broke through my thoughts and I looked up as he launched himself from the sofa, grabbing hold of me by the waist and pulling me into his arms.

"What the fuck's up Lexy. What have I done wrong?"

"Nothing," I snapped. "Nothing. I need to go home and get some sleep. You know I've got a mountain of work to get through with this party." I unwrapped his arms gently and moved away, gathering my clothes. "Where's the bathroom so I can dress and sort myself out?"

"You don't have to leave Lexy."

I looked into his eyes. They were focused, questioning. Was that confusion I could see written into a normally confident gaze.

"I do have to leave Jared. This ....," I gestured with my hands, " ...this shouldn't have happened tonight. I need space to clear my head. I'm sorry .... "

"The bathroom's down the hall, third door on the left," he motioned with his hand. "I'll get Emma to take you home."

"No, just call for a cab," I said, leaving him in darkness as I made my way down the cool, tiled hallway.

I closed the bathroom door behind me and pulled the lock. I sank to my knees, my legs giving away to the emotions of the night. I shivered as the cool tiles suddenly became cold to my skin, goosebumps covering my aching limbs.

I took my phone from my bag and texted.

Lexy: Jess, are you awake?

The reply came back in seconds.

Jess: Yes! Where on earth are you?

Lexy: I'm fine. I'm on my way home. Put the coffee on ☕☕

I dressed, fixed my hair in the mirror and promised myself a shower back home.

When I walked back into the den, Jared was nowhere to be seen. A sense of unease and dread filled me, remembering the confused look on his face when I left him.

"Lexy!" I spun around at the sound of a female voice. Emma was standing in the doorway, looking slightly worried. "Are you two OK? I just saw Jared walking off to the Lab. He told me to call a cab. You sure everything's OK?"

I took a deep breath and nodded. "Yes, everything's OK. I just need to get home and start working on this party. Jared will be fine. Just tell him I'll call in a few days to check on some of the finer details."

Emma's phone vibrated. "The cab's outside. Take my number and call if there's anything you need. Sometimes Jared can get lost in work and won't answer his phone. At least you'll know I'm here if you need help. By the way," she said, pointing to my car, "I'll get someone to drive that back home for you."

"Thanks Emma." I turned around and hugged her, hoping she couldn't smell Jared's odour which seemed to cling to my skin.

I jumped into the cab and waved goodbye. Jared was nowhere to be seen.

************************

"Jess! I'm home. Where's the coffee?" I could smell a fine brew wafting towards me from the kitchen. I walked in to see Jess in her pyjamas, hands curled around her favourite mug.