Chapter 33

Well after the last chapter, I'm back and slightly red-faced at my meltdown. Anyway, I've loved writing Chapter 33 and feel slightly more at ease with the three of them! Hope you're all OK and thanks for keeping in touch with all your messages. Have a great day xxxx

The drive back was silent, both of us lost in our own private universe, flashbacks of the past few hours rendering us numb to conversation.

Shannon's arms hugged me tight to his body, giving me the reassurance I needed that all would be fine; everything would work out and the events of tonight would fade like a bad dream.

The drive heading downtown was busy but we soon made it home, or at least what I'd come to call my second home. After thanking the driver, Shannon helped me out and guided me inside.

The door closed behind us and I let out a long sigh. "This house has never been  more welcome." I watched him, watching me, gauging how to make the next move.

"Water, tea, coffee, beer or wine?" he asked, smiling as the question instantly broke the ice.

"A chilled glass of white if you've got any in the refrigerator. That'd be great," I yawned, aware of a creeping sense of weariness washing over me.

I leaned my cheek against the cool wall and watched as he returned with a bottle and two glasses.

"I can see you're shattered. Let's take this upstairs," he suggested. "At least if you fall asleep on me, you're in bed," he grinned, earning himself a gentle slap on the arm.

"Give me the glasses then and you take the wine," I offered holding out my hands.

When he opened the bedroom door, I allowed my eyes to roam around the room. Memories of the three of us came flooding back; the warmth of their bodies especially.

I flinched and Shannon must have noticed my slight hesitation. "I asked my housekeeper to come by while we were out," he soothed.

I could tell because everything was perfect: plumped up pillows, fresh cotton bed linen, gleaming surfaces. Everything smelled clean and freshly aired.

Shannon put down the wine and helped me remove my clothes, hanging up the gorgeous silk dress we'd bought together.

"You looked beautiful tonight darling," he stated, gazing at me standing there in my bra and panties. "I'm going to run the shower and I want you to go and relax. Take your time and I'll be waiting."

He poured me a glass of wine first, easing the rim to my lips. I sipped slowly, delighting in the fuzzy comfort of the gesture.

"Now, the shower for you madam," he whispered, taking the glass away and leading me into the bathroom.

The heat and steam worked wonders on my aching muscles. I stood under the water, letting it beat down on my shoulders, massaging gel into every part of me: wiping the slate clean.

True to his word, when I'd finished, he was waiting, lounging under the sheets, tapping away on his phone. He turned to face me, pulling back the sheets for me to join him.

"Grab your wine first and then come to bed," he urged. I could see he was still holding back, worried about what had happened at the party.

Slowly I sank down on the mattress, balancing my glass while at the same time trying to snuggle into his arms.

I groaned. "This isn't working is it?" I took a gulp of the wine and placed the glass down on the bedside table.

I turned back and met his gaze, the unspoken questions that now had to be answered.