Chapter 22

Hope you all enjoy this latest chapter. It started off with a crazy 3,000+ words, after I got slightly carried away. It's now a more manageable size ... the rest will carry on in the next chapter, I promise. As always, let me know your thoughts because I love all your feedback. The story's almost complete now, so there's not long to go for In Too Deep. Have a great weekend xxx

*****************************

What would you do in my situation? It's a great question isn't it? The hours are ticking away until we face the unthinkable.

But I know (and you know) that this has been coming. For God's sake we've been ticking off the days on the calendar, counting down to this damned party. We've known Shannon's birthday's on March 9.

And as I lay here , the clock on my bedside table glows red, with the date March 8. It's 3am and I still haven't been able to sleep, tossing and turning, stomach churning, frightened of what's to come.

It's at times like these I think back to my mom and how she'd wrap me in her arms. She always said to me: "Lexy, a problem shared is a problem halved."

With that in mind, I swing my legs off the side of the bed and tiptoe over to Jess's room.

I hear the gentle sound of her breathing. I don't want to disturb her but I'm desperate for someone to talk to. "Jess," I whisper, not wanting to frighten her at this time of the morning. I watch as my ghostly whispers bring her floating to the surface of a deep sea of sleep.

"Lexy?" She mumbled my name while rubbing her eyes. "Babe what time is it?" she asked, propping herself up on her elbows.

"Jess I'm really sorry. I can't sleep and I just need to talk." She moved to the other side of the bed and pulled back the covers. "Jump in and get warm Lex. You talk and I'll listen," she murmured.

The warmth was wonderful and my body relaxed, my back moulding itself into the soft curve of her stomach. I talked more in the next hour than I have for weeks. Jess's breath was tickling my neck while her hand gently stroked my body, starting at my shoulders before working its way down my back and circling my ass.

Slowly, I felt my eyes close and I drifted, lulled by Jess's soothing massage and the gradual unburdening of my heart and soul.

******************

"You'll be OK," Jess reassured me as I unlocked the car door. Jared had messaged me to be at Shannon's home by 10am and not a moment later. Shannon had also messaged me with just an emojii !!!!!!!!

We hadn't spoken but of course he knew damn well that I hadn't had the guts to tell Jared about the two of us.

And now there were three of us ... and the party was just beginning.

******************

I pressed my fingers on the intercom feeling a nervous energy pulse through my entire body, starting in my chest and radiating out in shivers down my limbs. I have to keep this together, I told myself.

The door opened and Jared stood there, a barely perceptible smile gracing his lips. "Come in Lexy ... Shannon's just getting dressed. He won't be long."

He led me down familiar hallways and into the kitchen, memories of Shannon following me every step of the way.

"What can I get you?" he asked, looking back over his shoulder as if to check on me.

I was still a bit pissed with him. "Shall we start with a straight bourbon and see how I feel after that Jared?" I snapped, wanting to push all his wrong buttons.