Chapter 18

Please let me know what you're all thinking of In Too Deep so far. I'm still enjoying writing but need to know your thoughts (good and bad!) It helps to hear from you all, especially when I'm locked away writing with the door closed, shutting out the outside world xxx

***********************************************************************************************

I listen to the soft click of the door as Jared leaves and a thousand and one thoughts flood my confused mind. I remember the gentle rub of his fingers, soothing and relaxing my body as it crashed and burned under his dominance. I remember the brush of lips like butterfly wings caressing my cheek and the way he whispered 'baby girl' before he left.

I take a deep breath and check the time. The digital clock glows on the bedside table, showing 8.17pm. It's not too late, I think, grabbing my phone and car keys from my bag. But first the bathroom. I turn on the light and look at my red rimmed eyes and mussed up hair. A sigh escapes my lips before I drag a brush through my hair and repair what little make-up I'm already wearing.

Downstairs, I find Jess busying herself, cleaning the kitchen and putting away the shopping I dumped on the floor earlier. She looks up as I clear my throat. Her cheeks blush crimson. "Lex, he just walked in when I opened the door. I'm so sorry." She rushes over and wraps her arms tight around my shoulders. "Are you OK?" I nod, leaning my head against her neck. "I don't know what you said to him Lex but he looked devastated when he left."

I groan. "I didn't say anything Jess. That's the problem. I cried, turned my back on him and said nothing." I gently remove her arms from my waist. "Look, I'm off out. Like you said, I've got four days to sort this out. I've got my phone with me. Call if you need anything," I whisper, heading for the door.

"Where are you going?" Jess called, following me down the hallway.

"I need to see Shannon. This can't wait any longer," I answer, turning and smiling. "See you later." I wave goodbye and head for my car.

**********************

I didn't bother calling ahead. Traffic was light and it didn't take long to get to Shannon's house. I knew the code for the gates and let myself in, parking up outside. I could feel butterflies dancing inside me, my muscles tightening as I remembered how I'd left him earlier. What if he doesn't want to see me? My hand was shaking as I eventually plucked up the courage to lean against the doorbell. The clang seemed to echo in the night air. I waited, digging my nails into the palm of my hand, anything to take my mind off what was to come. There was movement somewhere in the house and I head footsteps approaching. "Who's there?" Shannon's voice came over the intercom. I took a calming breath before whispering: "Shannon, it's me, Lexy." The door opened and he stood there, a loose cotton shirt hanging over an old pair of jeans. "Can I come in," I asked, frightened to just cross the threshold as if nothing had happened earlier in the day. He nodded slowly and walked down the hallway without any words. Quietly, I closed the door behind me and removed my shoes. The smell of coffee wafted from the kitchen so I followed the aroma. It was deja vu, Shannon standing in the same place I left him. "I'm sorry Shan. I shouldn't have walked out on you like that," I said, breaking the silence. I wanted to throw myself into his arms and feel myself melt into him. But I held back. I wanted him to want me. I wanted to hear he'd forgiven me. I wanted to say so much ... but I waited.

I breathed deeply trying to calm those ever present butterflies. His eyes watched my every movement, the rise and fall of my chest, my fists clenching. Please Shannon, say something, anything, I thought. Instead, he raised his finger and beckoned me to him. I went to speak but he placed his finger on my lips, hushing the words before they gushed out.