Chapter 2

Take-off was smooth and effortless as we left the sweltering heat of Louisiana and my life with Dan behind. As soon as the signs went off, I loosened the seatbelt from around my waist, easing my legs out from underneath me.

I could still feel a tingling sensation in my thighs, remembering Shannon's arm grazing across the cotton covering my legs.

Damn! What made me cover them up. So much for my modesty.

I gazed up at him and then away, feeling my stomach tighten at the memory of him leaning over to close the blind behind my head. His chest had grazed my cheek, blocking out the sunlight before he pulled down the shutter.

With the light now dimmed, I could take him in; muscular, tattooed, hazel eyes and that god damn sexy smile. Could I detect a faint hint of smokiness clinging to him?

He was sprawled out opposite me, phone in his hand, earplugs hanging around his neck. He looked up just as my eyes were taking in every curve of his body. I blushed instantly and looked away.

"So what are you planning in LA Lexy?" It was the way he seemed to roll his tongue around every letter of my name, his eyes never leaving mine.

How much should I tell a stranger? I always remember my mum giving me that stranger danger warning as a kid and even now, I think twice before giving away any of my most private details.

"Well, I've decided to move to LA and see if I like it." Take a deep breath and keep it simple Lexy.

His eyes locked on mine, his teeth gently pulling on his bottom lip as he paused, taking his time with the next question.

"So ... do you have a job and friends out on the West coast then? It'll be strange leaving Lousiana if all your friends are living here. That'll suck after a while."

He stretched out his legs, jeans torn around his knees and belt buckled tight around his waist. My eyes were drifting and I knew if would be a long flight trying to keep any secrets from this man.

I let a slow smile break across my lips as I tried to relax and enjoy the company. I mean, from where I was reclining, the view could have been a hell of a lot worse.

"Well, if you must know, I've decided to just move out to LA and see what happens: no plans, no job, no friends, nothing!" Oh hell, so much for keeping everything secret.

The corners of his lips raised a little and his hand rubbed over the beardy stubble on his jawline. His eyes had a thousand questions, I could tell. But where would you start.

"So... no job, no friends, no nothing. Hasn't your mom taught you anything about staying safe young lady? LA can be one lonely place if you're not careful."

Was this concern etched on his face, his eyes probing mine, trying to find answers to those thousand questions.

"My mum died five years ago," I said, turning my face away, so he couldn't see the sparkle of tears beading at the corner of my eyes.

"And yes, she did teach me all that and more," I whispered, remembering her arms wrapped around me when I was at my most vulnerable.

Just thinking of her - even now - is so painful that it brings with it a physical pain too hard to bare. I felt a tear spill over and run down my cheek. I rubbed it away, with my shirt sleeve, cursing myself for not having a spare tissue to hand.

My thoughts were wrapped up in my memories, forgetting Shannon sitting opposite me, concern etched on his face.

"Hey. Move up and give me some space." He gently shifted my legs aside and tucked himself into the confined space. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything without at least knowing you a little better."

My body was still turned away. Suddenly I felt his fingers gently cup my chin and turn my face towards his. "I'm really sorry Lexy. I mean it."

I felt another tear slowly slide down my cheek and on to his thumb as he wiped it away, caressing my face. "Come here." He moved his body closer and pulled me into a big bear hug. His raw, muscular physique belied a tenderness that eased the physical pain of my loss.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have fallen apart like that. Thinking of my mum ... and this huge change in my life just pushed me over the edge ever so slightly. I feel a little embarrassed," I said my head still resting on his chest.

"There's nothing to feel embarrassed about Lexy. Take a deep breath and try to relax and get some sleep." My face was still buried in the warmth of his chest but this was obviously a signal he was going to move back to his seat.

I lifted my head and eased my body away from his heat, feeling the cool air con send shivers down my spine. "Thanks for picking up the pieces. I'm a complete mess now I suppose." I pulled a mirror out of my messy bag and smoothed away the panda eyes while brushing the tangles from my hair.

In the reflection, I caught his eyes on my face and felt a blush rising from my neck and up to my pale cheeks. What was he doing to me? I turned away, trying to hide my blushes, digging around in my bag, trying to look busy, not wanting him to see how attracted I was to him.

Then I heard him chuckle and felt his scruff graze my face as leaned over and grabbed my bag. "Let me help you with this." He placed my chaotic bag on his lap, laughing at the mess of make-up, magazines, phone chargers and stuff that I'd crammed in at the last moment.

"So you're obviously planning for the end of the world then," he smirked, as he gazed at the mess he was confronted with. "No! Please don't judge me by these standards," I cursed, yanking the bag from his clutches. The movement sent several items into the air, landing smack on his lap.

When I looked down, I prayed for a quick end to this flight, so I could run a million miles away.

He picked up the packet of condoms I had hidden away at the bottom of my bag. Sparing my blushes, he tucked them back into my bag, with the other items. I looked away, only to feel the heat from his body moving closer. His lips brushed against my ear. "Strawberry flavour and ridged Lexy. Any other surprises in your bag you want to share?"

No please no no no. There were no hiding my blushes this time. His fingers touched my chin, raising my face to look into his eyes. There was a wicked glint in them as he giggled at my obvious discomfort. Was there no escaping Shannon. "Why are you blushing?" He rubbed his right thumb along my cheekbone, easing me back into the seat with his left arm wrapped firmly around my waist.

No answers to that blushing question. Best left unanswered! My silence only increased the tension building in my body, as he settled himself into my space, holding me close against him. "C'mon Lexy, let's get some sleep before we land." I lay still, breathing slowly, feeling his breaths deepen until he fell asleep. I shifted my body, easing my back into his chest. I closed my eyes, feeling the heat radiating from him and into me. I waited for sleep to come.