21

Her mother slept in Amelia's bed with her the night she came back. The pub had a welcome home celebration, shocking Amelia. She didn't drink alcohol since her father only let's her drink at home and only one drink. Amelia woke up early as usual, leaving her mother sleeping in her bed. She has finished making breakfast and started eating when her father walked in. 

"Good morning, father." She says after swallowing her food. He smiles at her before making himself a cup of coffee. 

"Let's go out tonight. Just the two of us.... how about going to the movies?" Marcus says before taking a sip from his mug. Amelia smiles at him and nods. It has been so long since she has had a father-and-daughter time with him. 

"Sounds great, sir." She says before eating. He hums and sits in front of her. 

"Now tell me, how was your first magical fight? When you started to explain there was a sparkle in your eyes that I haven't seen since you found Frida." Amelia puts down her utensil and looks at her place.

"It was the greatest feeling in the world. Imagine it dad, when they started attacking me with spells I felt this surge of fire in my veins. It felt like I was composing a symphony, I felt like smiling during it." Amelia says remembering the fight. Her father chuckles and shakes his head. 

"You are a Richardson through and through." He says making her smile. 

"Fighting brings us joy." He explains. Amelia's smile falter a bit at his words. She doesn't want violence to be her joy. But seeing her father being so proud of her makes her shut her mouth.
~~~~~~~~~~
The pair went out during the evening and saw a movie. Amelia has been nervous during the entire night. She had talked with Dianna about her future during her stay in the hospital wing and has come to terms with what she really wants. She still remembers her visit vividly. 

Flashback.

After the visit from the auror, Amelia only slept for 30 minutes. The pain in her ribs makes it difficult for her to sleep, she still remembers the curse that Thomas used against her. 

"Crucio." Amelia says quietly. She has never felt such pain in her life, not even during her intensive training, not even with him. 

"Is that the curse that Thomas used against you?" A sudden voice made Amelia look at the end of her bed with a smile. 

"What are you doing here? You are going to get into trouble, Di." She motions her to sit next to her as she makes space for her to get in. Dianna gets in and makes Amelia to cuddle against her. 

"Yeah. That was the spell. I don't understand why a auror had to come here, the school could have had handled it." Amelia says confused why the Ministry had to get involved with it. Dianna sighs and rubs Amelia's shoulder as she draps a arm over her shoulder. 

"It is illegal to use that spell. Thomas will probably be given either a punishment or be sent to Azkaban. There will probably be a trial if the court doesn't come to terms quickly." Amelia frowns at the thought of a trial. She doesn't want to make a big deal about it, but the wizarding world has different laws than the muggle world. 

"I hope they don't send Thomas to Azkaban." Amelia says sincerely. Dianna squeezes her shoulder a bit in reassurance.

"I highly doubt that they are going to.... tell me how was it, I mean your first magic duel?" Dianna says with a bit excitement. Amelia recalls the fight and a her chest fills with joy.

"It was amazing. I have never felt such excitement and purpose in my life. It was the greatest experience ever. It felt like I was a artist painting on a canvas." Dianna laughs at her words and kisses Amelia's forehead. 

"It seems you have found your passion, Richardson." Her words make Amelia freeze. Never before had she had a passion of her own, her passion has always been her father's. 

"You know, I think you are right. How can I use my passion? I don't know what to do now." Amelia asks Dianna, not knowing what to do. 

"Well... I think, from what I have seen from your personality. Have you considered becoming a auror?"

End of flashback....

They walk the dark and empty sidewalk together. Marcus has his hands behind his back, so does Amelia. 

"I want you to know that I am not disappointed in you for being a witch. You are my daughter no matter what. I know why you got into both fights and I am proud about the reason, but violence should not be the first answer to a conflict. After tonight, you will have a curfew and you can't go out with friends for a month. No TV, no movies, and training is doubled. Is that clear?" Marcus says with a stern voice. 

She suddenly stops walking and looks up at her father. She can feel her breathing speed up as she gathers the courage to tell him.

"I am not joining the army." She says quickly. Marcus stops walking and turns around slowly. He looks down at her with a frown. 

"What?" He says with his booming voice. Amelia suddenly feels intimated by her father's huge frame and stature. She has never felt like this before, but she holds her ground, determined to tell what she wants. 

"I am not joining the army. I am going to join a private sector while I train to become a auror." Amelia says getting courage with each word. Her father clenches his fist for a second before relaxing.

"After all this years of training and getting you ready, you suddenly decide with not joining? I thought it was your dream?!" Marcus says with disbelief. Amelia clenches her hands and takes a deep breath of courage. 

"It was never my dream, it was yours. I still want to fight for my country, but on my own terms."Amelia says calmly. 

"Fine. But I get to choose the company. I have good friends that run some. I can't believe you are going to fight under the name of a private company." Marcus says with a hint of disappointment. Amelia gets a bit angry at this and walks up to him. 

"I will still be fighting for my country, but I won't be held down by contracts. I want to be a auror, Dad, not a soldier of war." Amelia says as her eyes start to tear up. Her father looks down at her and hugs her. He sighs as he relaxes at her touch. 

"It must have been hard for you to tell me that and that is my fault. I shouldn't have pushed you into becoming a soldier, Never be afraid to tell me the truth. Come on, let's go home and tell your mother the news. I owe her twenty bucks." Marcus says before approaching their building. 

"Twenty bucks?" Amelia says as she sniffles and wipes her eyes. 

"She made a bet that you didn't want to become a soldier. I guess mothers do know best." He says in defeat. 

"I can't believe my parents gamble about my future." Marcus laughs at her words.

"We even bet about your future partner." Marcus says as he opens the door of the building.
At his words Amelia pales. The sudden image in her mind at the word partner has frozen her veins. She dreads as the image of Severus fades.