21

Amelia stumbles as she coughs and gags. She bends over and vomits out sand mixed with blood. She struggles as she pulls out a key and opens the door to the old house. She stumbles inside and locks the door. The house looks the same since the last time she saw it. He left it to her in his will.  

"That was just one shot magic." Amelia says as she falls and continues to cough out sand. She lifts her head and looks at the couch, her eyes trail to the fireplace. Her scar itches at the sight. She takes out the matchbox and transforms it back to Frida, before passing out.  

~~~~~~~~

Amelia wakes up with a groan. The house brought back memories that she wasn't particularly fond of. It doesn't bother her anymore, it doesn't torture her like before. She has accepted what has happened and moved on. The pain, fear, suffering, is something that she has not felt in a while. She cleans up the sand she vomit up, also the one in the front porch. She dares not go upstairs, for it will bring back even more memories. They are ugly ones, just because it doesn't bother her anymore doesn't mean she wants to see them. Amelia goes to the backyard and let's Frida to do her business. 

"Come on, I know you are dying to talk, after all this is your house." Amelia says outloud, waiting for her conscience to talk. She looks around in confusion at the sound of silence. The wind whistles against the trees. The rustling of the long grass against Frida, the sound of birds inside the vast forest. But there is no sound of him. 

"Weird." Amelia mutters to herself as she goes out and shoots at a squirrel climbing up a tree. She holster her gun and grabs the squirrel. Her mind is empty as she starts to skin it. She walks back inside and turns on the fireplace. 

Doesn't it bother you when you are near it?

Now you come out... It does. Amelia thinks to herself as she places the squirrel on a firepick and leans it in front of the fireplace. 

I am only out because I am here.

I know, you never leave. Amelia shakes her head as she takes off her coat and throws it on the covered sofa. She walks to the bathroom, the light of fireplace barely lights it. The house has no running water or electricity. 

No... You have noticed that I have been talking less. Amelia uses the aguamenti spell to fill the sink with water. 

Yeah... 

You are letting go. Since you saw him, you have gotten better. It is fucked up. 

I know, he is getting me back together. Amelia says before washing her face. 

You are finally getting back together, not fragmented. But the time is nearing. 

I know. I got accustomed of our thought process. Amelia dries her face and walks back into the livingroom. 

You said our. Amelia can hear the smirk on his tone. She rolls her eyes as she turns the squirrel around. 

You are me and I am you. We are one...  You are just a part of me that I rejected during the war and it manifested into you again. 

Flashback. 

Amelia watches as her targets enter a compound. It is her first day in combat. She puts her arms at ready and follows them in. She shoots one in the head and dodges as another one points a gun at her. She throws a knife at her, she rapidly shoots as two men enter the room with guns. She continues to make her way into the compound. She feels nothing as she kills, but at the same time her bloodlust increases. Someone suddenly appears out of a hallway and kicks the gun away from her hand. Amelia quickly slits their throat. She doesn't even know if it was a man or woman. She continues to walk inside, nobody can stop her. She has orders to kill on sight. 

She stops in the room that her intel said where the supply is at. She kicks it open and barges in, not worrying of death. Two men suddenly jump up from their seat and turn around to look at her. Amelia sees the slight movement of the men to pull out their guns. Amelia throws her knife at the tall man's chest. She quickly walks foward and breaks the other guy's neck. Amelia looks at the supplies and pulls out her radio. 

"The intel was correct. Threat is taken care of." Amelia says with no emotion. She turns around and looks at the child pointing a gun towards her. The child couldn't be older than 13 years old. 

"Put the gun down, or I will kill you." Amelia warns him with no emotion. The child doesn't lower the gun. Tears are streaming from his face. Amelia pulls out a gun from her back and points it at him. 

"Last warning." Amelia says in a foreign language. The child doesn't move. Amelia's eyes move to his index finger as it twitches to pull the trigger. Amelia shoots him, killing him Immediately. Amelia holster her handgun and opens up her bag. The sight of his cloak makes her freeze. She looks at the child then at the floor with wide eyes. 

No no no no no no! She realizes what she has done. She makes her way outside as people start walking in. She walks a few feet away. Her heart is beating against her chest. 

I felt nothing. I felt absolutely nothing. I killed a child! I-I am no better than him. She clenches her eyes shut as she grips her hair. 

I am supposed to be better than him. She is not freaking out because she killed people, she is freaking out because she did exactly what she said she wasn't going to do; be a cold killing machine like him. 

I told you we are two peas in a pod, my little princess. She freezes at the sound of his voice. It has been a while since she last heard his voice. She thought that she got better, after getting help. 

I know, I just wanted to be different. I killed a child, if Severus knew he would be so disappointed. Amelia groans against her hands at the thought of Severus being disappointed at her. 

Then lets not tell him.  Amelia looks at the sky and opens her eyes. Her eyes are dull, dead, like most of the time. 

Agreed, uncle.

End of Flashback....

Amelia looks at the fire as the memory flashes through her mind. She realizes that the meat is done cooking and whistles. Frida comes running and sits beside her. Amelia gives her half of the squirrel. 

You have changed a lot since that time. You think about the consequences before acting. /you actually feel something other than nothingness when you attack, because now you have something worth fighting for. You used to fight because it was all you knew and because you had to. Now you fight for something, with a purpose. You could have had stayed and fought the Death Eathers, but you knew that it was too risky for the others. Severus and the kids have made you human again. Amelia chews her food as she listens to her/uncle's thoughts. She throws the bones into the fire. 

I feel human, for the first time in years. Yes, I am good at fighting, but I am good at teaching and protecting children... I am a soldier that protects people, not that kills them first. 

 Amelia stands up grabs her trenchcoat. She whistles making Frida stand up and walk with her. She opens the door and lets Frida outside. Amelia stares at the house, she imagine her youngerself being slapped in the face next to the staircase. Her uncle raping her on the couch. Drake throwing her on the cofee table, breaking it. She smiles at the memories, because she has grown from them. For such a long time, they held her back, but now they have no power over her. Amelia takes out her wand and makes the fire of the fireplace fill the room, like it was a wolf.  As she closes the door she can hear a faint voice fading away. 

Goodbye, my little princess. You are finally not mine anymore. 

I was never yours to begin with.

Amelia walks down the steps of the porch and starts walking down the streets with Frida strutting beside her while waggling her tail. Only the sound of Frida's panting and the whooshing of the fire flames fill the hot evening.