Hijikata Toushirou || This is The Show [1]

Image Source (Original): https://www.pinterest.ph/pin/366761963401713115/

.....

It wasn't going to be long before the rumours would spread to the rest of Edo. That, in the second most lustful part of the city, people of different shapes, sizes, and appearances parade on the streets. 

No, it's not in Kabuki-chou. Drunk NEETs, tactless young girls, and walking eyeglasses are already a norm in the area. 

And no, not Amanto, not those from other countries. People. Homo Sapiens from the planet Earth. 

It's in the district southwest of Kabuki-chou, not far from the territory of the Four Devas. The red-light district for the LGBT community, Ni-chome. 

From what the Shinsengumi Vice-Captain heard, the individuals running around these parts were in violation of various laws of the country - from sexual harassment down to outright public nudity. As a law enforcer, of course, he had to personally see the place and, if some would be found, arrest those who break the rules of Edo and Japan. 

What he was expecting were people approaching unsuspecting passers-by and force them for pleasure. But what he didn't expect was to sit formally in a room, in front of a low table, and across someone who was wearing tons of makeup and an elegant yet revealing kimono.

Alone. 

"What brings you to our side of the city, Shinsengumi-san?" Queried the woman whose hair was neatly tied to a bun and held together by two chopsticks. 

"I have heard about some untoward incidents in this district. I am here to certify the reports," though shocked at the turn of events, Toushirou kept his cool, sitting formally with his hands on his lap while in seiza. 

Meanwhile, the person sitting across wasn't too stern in actions. With one hand around a long tobacco pipe and sitting with knees to the side, Toushirou's negotiator didn't seem to be bothered seeing a policeman in the room.

"There is something untoward everywhere here, Shinsengumi-san. You can see people relieving themselves on the streets.  Some even dare smoke in public places despite the current smoke ban," the host puffed out smoke. "This is not heaven. This isn't a sanctuary for goody two shoes. This is Ni-chome. What would you expect?"

He didn't want to lose the negotiation. 

It was someone above the ladder who wanted the issue settled. Therefore, Toushirou really needed to find one clue or two. 

With a deep breath, the Vice Captain locked stares with his host once more, hoping it was enough to sway the person. "As a policeman, it is our job to investigate things that are brought to our attention. If it defaces peace and disturbs Edo, it falls into our hands to clean it up."

"The only thing that needs to be cleaned up here are government officials who prefer protecting aliens and foreigners instead of innocent citizens who aren't ecen doing anything illegal." Venom flared at every syllable. "I'm so sorry, Shinsengumi-san, but I think you have to leave now. We are quite busy at this time of night and we have work to do."

The policeman had no time for the absence of cooperation. However, the ball wasn't in his side of the court. It never was. Toushirou still had questions, yet it seemed he won't be able to ask them anymore. His host already want him gone, after all.

So, with a heavy heart, he excused himself from where he was and left the establishment.

Returning empty-handed, Toushirou was getting the short end of the stick after being chewed out by a high-ranking government official, the same government official whose relative instigated the rumours.