Nishinoya Yuu || SC: Yuu Ou Mai Shin

Image Source (Original): https://www.pinterest.ph/pin/222928250285413643/

A/N: This is the special ending to The One That Got Away. Please read it first before proceeding with this. 

.....

It was glorious. 

Spectacular. 

Awe-inspiring. 

Because of a short man with great skills, the peak of success was reached, was landed on, was held. Because of Nishinoya Yuu, he and his comrades survived the jungle full of conniving foxes, powerful bears, and mischievous snakes. 

The jungle known as the Olympics. 

After basking in the limelight, the flashes of cameras, the interviews of media, and the fight against exposing discomfort, the Karasuno graduate found himself driving a car down the roads of Miyagi. Turning the wheels like a pro, he headed to a destination forever etched into his mind. 

Twenty minutes passed and an orange vehicle came to a halt in a parking space beneath a mountain. Noya then left the car not before heading to the passenger seat and grabbing the bouquet he personally ordered from a fellow athlete who runs a flower shop. Despite the package being over-the-top, he handled it quite well, save for a few minor missteps up the stone steps along the mountain. 

When he reached an open area, a wooden red Torii gate towered over the athlete, signaling him that he was almost there. A few careful steps followed soon after and when he reached a particular stone monument, his own two feet stopped. His body turned a sharp 90 degrees to the right. 

He was now standing in front of his destination: the stone grave of his childhood friend, Mishima [Male Name].

The male glanced from beside the big bouquet he held, a faint smile present on his face. 

"Nice to see you again, [Male Name]."

 After their kamikaze of a visit to his friend on the day his tear gates came crashing down, he promised to visit the grave once in a while. To be more accurate, before and after something big happens to the libero. His last visit was two days before his flight to the tournament in a resolve to calm down his washed-up nerves. 

It's been at least a week since then. 

He first placed the set of flowers down before grabbing available grave-cleaning tools. He first filled a bucket full of water and, with his sleeves and pants rolled up, he commenced. 

Cleaning wasn't really a bore nor was it a tedious chore for him since it hasn't become too dirty since his last visit. Once he was satisfied with his hard labour, he emptied the bucket, put the things back where they belonged, and decorated the freshly-cleaned stone marker with his purchased flowers. 

He placed himself facing the grave, sat in seiza, and clapped his hands before he began to pray.

"You know, it's almost eight years since you left, with the anniversary being around the corner and all," the man spoke softly, completely different from his usual cheerful disposition, once the prayers were finished. 

"If it wasn't for Kiyoko-san, I may still have second thoughts about visiting you here."

"B-But, that's not it anymore. You know that right?" A nervous laughter then escaped the man's lips. "And you've heard of this story several times already, you must be rolling your eyes by now."

A hand reached for the back of the libero's neck, rubbing it slowly in sheer embarrassment. 

"Well, [Male Name]. I'll be back in a few days. And this time, I will really be able to come here. No need to show yourself during one of my games like last time. Although, it would be nice if you could watch. Anyway, see ya, [Male Name]."