Chapter 13

Avni and Neil entered the office together. Every employee was gawking at Avni as if they had seen a ghost. She was wondering why were they doing so just then she heard someone,

' His wife is still with him.'

'Yeah, I'm wondering the same'

'He's so arrogant. I thought maybe his wife left him and went away'

' I heard his family also didn't tolerate him.'

'Yeah. He's abandoned'

This was the limit for Avni. She looked at Neil and saw no emotions on his face but his fist was clenched and his knuckles were had gone white. She stopped in her tracks and turned around. Even, Neil stopped feeling her stop.

Avni gave them all a look that made a shiver run down their spines.

A: I really think that this office needs to hire some good people and fire some useless jerks.
She said the last two words looking at the employees who were talking about Neil.

A: Get back to work before this office faces an employment crisis!
She said in a bossy tone.

Everyone got scared listening to her and got back to their work. Avni turned around and looked at Neil. His eyes were glassy. She walked upto him and smiled.

A: Chalo.
She held his hand and entwined it with hers and took him to his cabin.

As soon as they entered the cabin, Avni picked up a glass of water and gave it to Neil. He simply shook his head.

A: Pata nhi I really matter to you, the way I used to earlier or not. But please drink it, mere liye.

Neil looked at her and stared into her eyes for long. He took the glass and had the water. He kept the glass back and refilled it.

N: You always mattered to me. You still do. Mere liye,please.
He said forwarding the glass.

She smiled and took it.

A: Why didn't you say something outside? I know you heard everything they said.

N: Kitnon ke muh band karogi, Avni?
He said in a low voice looking down.

Avni came forward and cupped his face. She pulled it in order to make him face her.
She kissed his forehead and tears rolled down his cheeks. She rested her forehead against his. Their eyes were closed and they were feeling each after a long time. It all felt so correct. The closeness, proximity,emotions, exchange of thought, everything was perfect until his dad's words came ringing into his ears.

You are good for nothing. You are such a weak person and on top of that you behaving like those stupid girls. Mark my words, no one wants a weak person like you in their lives. You will always remain alone.

His eyes shot open and he distanced himself from Avni.
" Get a grip over yourself", he told himself. Before Avni could say something the landline started ringing. Neil picked it up and said, " Send him in".

It was just then, that the door opened and Rishi came. He instantly grabbed Avni and pulled her into a big hug.

Not again!!..... Sighed Neil.

SukanyaSarker this one's for you!🐼🐼