Chapter 25

PRECAP

A: Bebe called.

N: OK..

A: She wants us to...

N: To...?

A: To go back to your dad's house.

Listening to this Neil got angered.

N: Impossible!

He hissed and went out of the room leaving Avni behind in a chaos. On one side it was Bebe and the other side it was Neil.

Think Avni think! You have to make this happen.

PRESENT

A: Look Neil, I understand that you aren't on good terms with your dad. But, Bebe has asked me something for the first time. Please, try to understand.

Neil turned around furiously looking at Avni.

N: Just because Bebe has asked you something for the first time, I can't go against my vows. I vowed to never enter that place again. And let me get this clear to you. I am not on any kind of terms with Mr. Khanna. Dare you ever call that person my dad. 

A: But, Neil try to..

N: You know what Avni? I don't want to talk about it. If you still want to, then I can go back to the being the same man I was all these years with you.

Avni stood still listening to the last line. She had got her Neil back after a lot of struggle and pain. She could not lose him again. 

N: I hated being that Neil but this was one of the reasons why I was like that. I knew they would use you against me. Try to make me a vulnerable man who will do anything for his wife. But, I would do anything but this. You ask me anything and I'll do that for you. But, don't make me turn into a monster. 

He cupped her cheeks and kissed her forehead and went upstairs. Avni was still standing in the same position. She looked towards the stairs to see Neil in his suit. She rushed to him and held his hand.

A: You said that you'll take an off today. I'm sorry. Please, don't change Neil. I...I won't be able to handle myself. I'll die.

She begged him sobbing hard while Neil held her gently in his arms. He held her till her sobs died down. When she finally stopped crying, he made her sit on the sofa and ordered his servant to bring water. He made her drink the water and stoked her hair. While, Avni was looking at him as if pleading him through her eyes. 

N: I was going to the office because I got a call. I have an urgent meeting with my client. They have changed the board members of their company. So, I need to meet the new board members and discuss the project all over again. That's the reason I was going. I'm not changing Avni. But, please don't bring back those memories and those people. Convey this to Bebe too. I'll meet her here if she wants to. She can stay here, its her home. But, I'll never go there.

Neil explained everything softly to Avni. She breathed freely after knowing the reason behind his sudden departure. She hugged Neil.

A: I promise Neil, I'll never do it. 

Neil broke the hug and smiled at her. He got up and kissed her goodbye.

Avni went to her room and opened her closet. She reached for the upper shelf and retrieved her engagement gown she looked at it and smiled. She remembered how she had pestered her parents to let her buy it. It was one of the most expensive and heavy gowns. Her mother had asked her if she was going to get engaged or get married. She had laughed it off at that time. She picked it up and ran her hand across the material. It was  so soft. The swarowski crystals still shined their best. She took out her engagement pictures and looked at them. She only had a few because the party had been called off after Neil and his dad fought just after they exchanged rings. But, whatever pictures she had were worth it. The happiness was evident on their faces. She remembered her father almost cried after seeing her all decked up for the engagement. She laughed remembering his red nose.

Then, she grabbed a red saree kept on the same shelf. She felt its heavily embroidered blouse and smiled.

Flashback:

After Neil and his father's argument on engagement day, Avni supported Neil as much she could. Neil had started investing in shares with the little money that he had, courtesy he had never earned before. He wanted to become someone on his own but without financial support it was difficult. He refused any kind of financial help from Avni's family. Her parents tried to convince Neil that they have the right to support their daughter's fiancé. But, Neil refused

Avni had sensed his loneliness and anxiety. So, she decided to marry him as soon as possible. But, Neil was apprehensive. He tried to explain her that he had nothing with him at the moment, nor a roof of his own nor financial security.

Avni somehow convinced Neil and moved in with him in his rented apartment. Marrying Avni had encouraged him to work more hard and provide his wife with all that she would have if things had gone down the right path.

Flashback ends

Avni sensed someone behind her and looked towards the door to find Neil. He watched her with emotions which she couldn't decifer. He walked towards her and grabbed the saree from her hands. He laughed a little. Avni was taken aback by his behavior.

N: The Avni Mehta who wore a dress worth 8 lacs on her engagement, got a simple and low class saree from her husband to wear for her wedding. It just cost me 5,000 Avni.
He looked at her with eyes which withheld embarrassment.

A: But, that was all that you could afford at that time Neil. It was a big amount for you then.
She said as she gently grasped his hand.

N: But, it wasn't something you deserved. Why didn't you let your parents buy you a wedding dress?

A: Because, the wedding dress is bought by the groom's family. In the end, all that matters is that I got you.
She said with a smile.

A: I also know that you buy me expensive dresses just to compensate this one wedding dress.

Neil looked at her shocked.

N: How did you find out?

Avni smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck pulling him closer.

Kyunki Avni apne Neil ko achche se jaanti hai!