Chapter 14

The door opened and Rishi came. He instantly grabbed Avni and pulled her into a big hug.

Not again!!..... Sighed Neil.

Rishi broke the hug and waved Neil a 'hi'. Neil clenched his jaw and gave him a look that clearly said back off. But, Rishi just took that casually and sat on the chair in front of Neil's desk.

R: Avu, why are you standing? Come sit.

Neil held her hand and brought her to the chair. He pulled the chair for her and made her sit. Avni was shocked at his behavior. At one moment he distanced himself from her and the other moment he is showing his concern and care.

Neil took his seat and started the discussion. Avni gave her inputs which impressed Neil a lot. He was feeling proud of her. She even cross questioned Rishi on certain things, which made him happy.

Finally, the meeting got over and Neil thought to take a break. But before he could say something Rishi interrupted.

R: Avu, come lets go out for lunch.

A: Ummm...

N: But, what's the need to go out? We can eat here as well.

R: I know. But I am meeting my friend after so many years. I wanna make our every moment special.

The last line made Neil feel a little uncomfortable. He knew Avni would never agree for it.

A: Fine. Let's go.

N: y..y...ye..yeah.

R: Vo.... I'm sorry Neil. But I made reservation for 2 people only. So maybe another time. Come let's go Avu.

Avni looked at him and thought about it. Although, it was a perfect plan to make him jealous but whatever happened in the morning made her think the other way. She doesn't want to leave him alone after that.

A: No Rishi. Actually, its my first day in the office. I'll have my lunch with Neil. Plus, he'll even update me about the current projects. Right Neil?
She said and looked at Neil.

N: Of course. Main nhi karunga to aur kaun karega?
He said eyeing Rishi.

R: Okay. You guys enjoy then. I'll see you guys tomorrow.

He said and left.

N: Come. Let's go out for lunch.

A: But...

N: Don't worry we'll be back before my next meeting.

Avni smiled a little and nodded her head.

°°°°°°°°°°°

They were sitting in a decent restaurant. It was near the office and had a cozy feel to it.

They were having their food when they heard the cries of a baby. Avni looked in the direction and found a young lady struggling in making the baby quiet. Avni went up to her and took the baby in her arms. The baby stopped crying instantly.

A: You complete your food. Meanwhile, I'll take care of your child.

The lady smiled. Avni took the baby to her seat and started playing with it. Neil admired Avni. She looked so happy. She was talking to the baby as if it was able to understand everything.

L: Excuse me. I've finished my food. Thanks for taking care of my child. Your children are very lucky to have a mother like you. You handled him so well.

Avni's smile vanished and Neil noticed it.

A: I..I... I don't have a child.

L: oh! But you look older than me. So I thought.

A: Its fine.
She tried to smile.

The lady took her baby away. Avni felt as if something precious was snatched away from her. Tears escaped her eyes. She instantly rubbed them off. Neil got worried.

N: What happened?
He asked softly.

A: Nothing. Let's go.
She said avoiding any eye contact.

To be continued...