Chapter 13

Tobias P.O.V.

Everyone looks at me, suddenly serious. I take a deep breath. Everyone's eyes are on me. I want them to know about me. Tris looks right in my eyes and I know that this is the right thing. I might not be telling them everything but it is still most of it.

"So, I want you all to know who I really am. You all are the most important people in the world to me," I say. Everyone looks scared. I know that I'm terrified to tell them this. I get the feeling that they're scared as well.

"Four, you don't have to do this," Christina says.

"Yeah, don't do it because of what I said that night," Tris says.

"Well, um, I feel like I need to. Someone needs to know who I really am," I say. I look down at the floor. I raise my eyes just enough to see their faces. They are all slowly nodding. No one says anything so I guess their waiting on me to continue.

"So, my real name is Tobias James Eaton. My nickname has always been my jersey number because my coaches always called me that. I never wanted to be called Tobias when I played sports as a child. I would give them random nicknames to call me. One time, I told my coach to call me Spongebob sports pants," I say. This brings a smile to everyone's face. Uriah just looks around confused.

"Um, I'm pretty sure his name is Spongebob Square pants," Uriah says. Everyone begins laughing. Uriah just looks even more confused then before.

"Why didn't you want your coaches to call you by your real name?" Tris asks.

"My father is Marcus Eaton. You know the big hot-shot in the government. I never wanted to be compared to him. And he never really wanted anyway to know about me. About the son he thinks of as a failure of the wife who left him," I say.

"What about Jeanine? And Eric?" Tris asks. They all look over her after to say 'This is a terrible time to talk about your boyfriend. Look at Four, he's ripping his heart out for us.'

"What? Jeanine and Eric come over to dinner with Marcus because my father works with him," Tris says, looking around at all the faces that staring at her.

"Well, the reason he never wanted anyone to know about us or my mother was because he had an affair. My mother divorced him right after I was born when she found out that he had another child. That child was Eric. He had been having an affair with Jeanine ever since my mother got pregnant. So, as soon as my mother left, he married Jeanine," I say.

"So, you never wanted us to come over because of Marcus, Jeanine, and Eric?" Christina Asks.

"Yep. Marcus never wanted to deal with my friends. But, we had Peter and Eric's friends over all the time," I say.

"So, on your 18th birthday you moved out so you could have more freedom?" Shauna asks.

"Yes, I wanted to get out of there because-" I begin.

"Oh! I get Spongebob sports pants now!" Uriah shouts.

"Have you been listening to anything he has said?" Zeke asks him.

"Yes, but the logic behind spongebob sports pants was also going through my head," Uriah says.

"I think you need the logic of your head checked out," Zeke tells him. (I don't mean for this to offend anyone. It's just supposed to show the brothers fighting) Uriah gasps and put his hands over his heart.

"That's a put down! According to mom, you need to give me three compliments," Uriah says.

"Fine, I like your shoes, I like your shirt, and I don't think your completely a moron, just partially," Zeke says. Uriah opens his mouth to say something but closes it and points. I take this as my cue to continue.

"Ladies, break it up! I would like to finish!" I say. They both look at me, slightly offended. But they both stay quiet.

"Marcus practically kicked me out. I had money that I had saved from when my grandmother died. He told me to go get a job and that I needed to grow up and move out of the nest. So, I did. I've got enough money to live like I am now for another 5 years," I say. They all nod.

"Four, you should have told us before. We would have been there for you," Lynn says.

"Yeah. We would have helped you with whatever you needed," Marlene says.

"Thank you. I know I have the best friends in the world," I say.

"You sure do," Shauna says.

"Four, I'm sorry to ruin the moment but Christina and I have to go. Her parents made her curfew very specific," Will says.

"That's okay. We still hanging out tomorrow?" I ask.

"Of course," Christina says. They both say their goodbyes and leave.

"I think we might need to be going. Uri here gets cranky if he doesn't have more than 12 hour of sleep," Marlene says.

"But Mar, we don't want to leave Four's house," Zeke and Uriah say in unison.

"Come on guys, let's go," Shauna says. Zeke and Uriah both start to pout but get up and says their goodbyes. When they leave only me and Tris are here.

"Thank you," Tris says as she gets up to sit on the couch. I walk over and sit next to her.

"No, thank you. I owe you for convincing me to do this," I say.

"Oh, well your welcome, Spongebob sports pants," she says.

"Tris, there is something else I want to tell you," I say.

"I want to tell you something, also," she says.

"Okay, you go first," I say. She looks into my eyes and I can tell she's nervous. She has an adorable blush on her face.

"I never dated Eric to make you jealous. I dated him as a rebound almost. But, I found out that he can be sweet. If I had known that you were brothers, I never would have dated him, though," I say.

"Tris, it's fine. You couldn't have known. It was my fault that you ever dated him, anyways. I should have been honest with you in the first place. I should have told you all about this years ago," I say. I see a single tear roll down her face. I pull her next to me and hug her.

"What was is it that you wanted to tell me?" she asks.

"Tris, I wanted to tell you something else about Marcus. I've never told anyone before. I need you to promise to keep this a secret," I say.

"I promise. It will be our little secret," she says.

"One day, when I was seven, Eric and I got into a fight. Eric was always Marcus's favorite child. He was drunk when he saw us rolling around in the front yard. He went ballistic. He started yelling at me and throwing things. Then he made us both go inside. He sent Eric to his room and let him slide with just a warning. Then, he sent me to my room and... and... he took off his belt. He began hitting me over and over. He's done it to me ever since. He never laid a finger on Eric though," I say.

I look down at Tris. She has tears streaming down her face. She is sobbing into my shirt. I didn't expect to cry when I told her this. It must be her reaction that sends tears streaming down my face.

"Four, I wish you had told us. We would have been there to help you. We would have told the police or something," she says.

"Tris, Do you know what would have happened if I had turned him in?" I ask her. She sakes her head. "He would have done something worse. He would tell everyone that he would do no such thing and get out. They would believe someone as important as him. They would never believe his secret son."

She continues to sob. I try to brush away her tears but they continue to flow..She puts.Her arms around me in a hug. Then, she kisses me.

Oh! Cliffhanger! I hope your enjoying this story so far! I have enjoyed writing it! Please comment and tell me what you think. And, yes, I changed the cover. I just like this one better.

Disclaimer: I wish I owned Divergent but the one and only Veronica Roth does.