Chapter 40

Tris P.O.V.

"Beatrice Prior, you better get out here right now!" My father yells through my locked door. I push the bags that contain my birthday presents under my bed. I, then, run to the door and unlock it and turn the knob.

"Beatrice, where have you been?" my father asks. I take a deep breath as I prepare myself for the lie that is about to come.

"I've been in my room. I just started to feel bad and I didn't feel like coming downstairs and socializing with everyone," I explain. I feel like Pinocchio and that my nose is going to be twice it's normal size in a few seconds. My father gives me a strange look but he nods.

"Okay. Marcus and his family were looking forward to seeing you," my father says. I nod and he walks away. I close the door and take a deep breath, thankful that he didn't find out the truth.

I open up the door and navigate myself to the steps. I hike down them and walk to the kitchen. I find myself a drink and walk back out.

"Hello, Beatrice," I hear behind me. I turn around and plaster a fake smile for Marcus and Jeanine. Eric is not with them. He's probably somewhere using my bra as a slingshot or something.

"Hello, Marcus. How are you?" I ask.

"I'm quite well. I was just wondering if I could pull you to the side for a.few seconds," he says with a smile that would look warm to others. But, now that I know the truth, looks incredibly wicked.

"Of course. Come with me," I say as I pull him outside behind our house. As soon as the door is closed the fake smile is gone.

"Stay away from him," Marcus says.

"I'm sorry?" I ask, confused as to what he is talking about.

"Tobias. Stay away from him. He isn't capable of love. He is using you. I know, I've seen it," Marcus says.

"Why should I do that?" I ask.

"Because, he doesn't deserve you," he states.

"Marcus, I know the truth. He deserves a lot better than what you gave him," I explain.

"Oh, so if he does than why is he lying to you. He used to go out and get drunk and sleep with the first girl he met out on the street," Marcus spits.

"Marcus, I'm not falling for this. I don't know what you're doing but he would never hurt me or any of the people he loves," I spit back at him. He opens his mouth to say something else but I spin around and guide myself back inside.

I walk around and make small talk with the people who are scattered around the house. But, the one thing in the back of my mind is who is telling the truth.

Eric and Marcus have both told me that he has used many girls and that he us going to hurt me. But, Tobias says that the truth is that he plans to wait until he is married. And that he loves me. And that he will always be there for me.

As I walk around and chat with people, I feel my head begin to hurt. I continue to fight the pain for a while but it ends of winning the fight and takes over my head. The corners of my eyes begin to darken and I get dizzy. Then, I'm falling to the ground and I'm knocked out.

I wasn't sure what to do in this chapter. But, I think I like this ending. Cliffhanger! Please continue to read my story! A lot of people haven't. If there is a way to make it better tell me!

Disclaimer: Since I'm not Veronica Roth I don't own Divergent.