Chapter 27

Tris P.O.V.

I invited Tobias to come to Thanksgiving dinner. He happily agreed since he would be by himself. I'm kind of nervous about what my family will think of him. I'm really nervous about what Caleb said. I have been stuggling with thoughts of Tobias having a one stand with anyone. He hasn't let anyone other than me know about Marcus, right? If he let anyone see his back while it was going on they would know, wouldn't they?

I curl my hair and put on a little bit more make up than I usually do. I put on a black dress with thin straps and flows to my knees. I put on some grey leggings and I put on my black, leather combat boots. Finally, I put on a grey pearl necklace and black hoop earings. I look in the mirror and I think I actually look pretty. For once.

I go out of my room and walk downstairs to where my mom is in the kitchen, standing at the island with a large turkey.

"Whatcha doing?" I ask, hopping on one of the granite countertops. She looks up from the turkey at me and smiles.

"You look nice," she says. I smile back at her.

"Thanks, mom. What happened to that poor little guy," I ask, saying the second part in a funny accent.

"I was killed for you to eat me," she says in the same funny accent. She hides her face behind the turkey and pretends to make him dance. We laugh in sinc until I fall off the countertop.

"Are you okay?" My mom asks between laughs. I hop up on the counter.

"I think so. But, I'm not sure that the turkey will be when you are done with it," I say, laughing.

"Oh, come on, Beatrice! You know you love my turkey!" she says, defending herself.

"Mom, you are a good cook. Well, until it comes to the turkey. You always order one from that Italian restaraunt in town," I say. It's true. We always order a small turkey from some Italian restaraunt in town. It's the only time we ever order something from it, though. My mom always makes mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, and dressing for us, though.

"Come on, Beatrice. It can't be so bad!" she says.

"Okay. You better hope you can make this turkey good. You don't want everyone that dad works with to think you can't cook," I say. She laughs, nodding.

"So, are you excited?" she asks.

"For food? Yes. To see people? No," I explain. Then, a light bulb goes off in my head. "Is that lady that told dad about Halloween going to be here?"

"No. She has a family. Plus, dad isn't exactly her biggest fan. He comes home and complains about her a lot," she says.

"Zeke told me that Hana used to work with her. Hana doesn't like her, either," I tell my mom. She smiles and nods.

"Speaking of Zeke and your friends, did you invite anyone?" She asks me.

"Oh, um. I invited Four. I forgot to tell you. He has some, uh, family issues so he is alone for Thanksgiving," I explain. She doesn't know about him being Marcus's son and that Marcus beat Tobias.

"Oh, what kind of problems," she asks, looking up from the poor turkey. I hop down from the counter and walk over to help her. She smiles at me, accepting the help.

"Um, he didn't really get very specific when we were talking about it. He just said there were some, uh, diagreement between him and his father," I explain. I'm not actually lying. I'm just simplifying everything.

"Oh, wow. I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you had told me, earlier," she says, a concerned look on her face.

"Well, just don't tell him I told you. He doesn't want anyone else to know. You can't tell anyone. Not even dad," I say, looking directly into her eyes. She nods.

"I promise. This can be our secret. I really want your dad to like your friends. They all are very nice kids. He really shouldn't have a problem to worry about them. If anything, he should have been more worried about when you were dating Eric according to what I've heard you all talk about," she says.

"Yeah. I can't believe I ever dated Eric," I say.

"Yeah. I never saw you dating Marcus's son. That is probably why your father was okay with you dating him," she said. I laugh at this. I look over at her, realizing that she has been listening to my conversations with my friends.

"Do you eavesdrop on all of our conversations?" I ask, suddenly worried.

"No, only the ones where a name sounds familiar," she says. We both start laughing. Caleb walks in and stares at our bodies that our hunched over.

"Are you two okay in here?" he asks. We both nod while biting our lips. I guess that is where I got that trait from.

"Nope, we're good," I say, popping the p.

"Um, sure. Dad and I heard laughing and then something fall and then more laughter," he says, looking between us.

"Yeah, the boom defianlty wasn't because your sister here fell off the countertop while she was laughing," my mom says. I look over at her with huge eyes. I look back at Caleb who is trying to hide his grin.

"Mom, why did you tell him that?" I moan.

"It's okay, Tris. I won't tell Four," Caleb says. He extends the end of Tobias's nickname. My mom and Caleb laugh while I blush, of both anger and embarresment.

"Okay, mom! I think this little sucker is ready to go in the oven," I say, reffering to the turkey, trying to change the topic of the conversation.

"Okay, I'll put it in," She picks it up and slides it in the oven, quickly, before saying, "That was a good try at changing the topic of the conversation."

"Whatever. I'm going to go watch the parade," I say, trying to hide the heat that is rising in my cheeks. I walk into the living room and sit down next to my dad on the couch. He looks over at me and smiles. He puts his arm around me.

"Beatrice, I'm sorry. My mom has talked to me and I'm going to give you a second chance. But it all depends on how tonight goes with your boyfriend," he says. I hug him.

"Thanks dad. I won't let you dad," I say. Then the door bell rings.

So, I promised you another chapter today and that has been granted! I hope you enjoyed this cahpter even though it isn't Thanksgiving. This is kind of strange. . . Last weekend about Halloween even though it is the begining of Spetember. . . Please comment and leave ideas! Until tomorrow! *salutes*

Discalimer: I'm not Veronica Roth so I don't own Divergent.