Chapter 3

"Can I be the one to take the mask off?"

"No"

"Can I poke their face when it's off?"

"No"

"Can I at least poke the mas-"

"Raven!"

Clarke crossed her arms and glared at the young mechanic. Ever since they had arrived back home, Raven was showing an obsession over the mysterious masked fighter. She has watched with urgent eyes as Luna chained them up, arms out on either side of them, held captive so similarly to Lincoln. Octavia stood with a disapproving look.

Now, all they were waiting for was for them to wake up. To ask them a few questions about their true intentions. Out of respect, no one had dared to remove the mask until they were awake and acquiescent. Yet.

Luna wrapped her arms around Raven from behind her, resting her chin on her shoulder. Raven instantly relaxed, leaning back into the comfort of Luna's arms.

"Raven, patience is a generosity we would kindly accept now" Luna said softly

"But-"

"Raven" Luna lifted an eyebrow

"Okay, fine" Raven relented "I'll just sit patiently, read a book or something"

Luna nodded a thank you and let Raven go, allowing her to cross the room and settle into a chair.

"Abby wants your help in medical." Octavia raised her voice "It's pretty serious"

"What about them?" Clarke signalled over her shoulder at the unconscious rebel. Octavia rolled her eyes

"Raven and I can keep an eye on them. I'm sure Luna will too. Just go."

Clarke eyed then all one last time before swinging open the door and rushing down to medical to help her mother.
________________________
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Raven popped another berry in her mouth and shrunk further into Luna's lap, resting her head against her shoulder. She spun her pen in her hand, eyes skipping over Becca Pramheda's journal. She flicked through the worn and torn, yellowing pages, hoping that she could at least find something that can explain what happened that night in the lab.

She buried herself in a mix of English and Latin words, foot tapping against Luna's knee as the cogs in her brain worked hard. She had to be missing something. She had to be. If Becca was as great with her mechanical and biological work as she thought, there most definitely should not have been a failure in the lab, no matter how old the equipment was.

Raven caught glimpse of an idea and she turned the pages back to the beginning. She tilted the book on its side, staring at the more recent looking ink. It was less faded than the other ink that was in the front of the book. By the looks of it, it should have been added into the back of the book instead.

At first, she thought it was a sketch, or perhaps a strange looking scribble to get the pen working again. But then it struck her with a hard blow. She froze, pen stilling in her hand and a berry rolling freely from her mouth and onto the floor. Luna frowned at her.

"What is it?" She asked quietly, peeking over her shoulder. Raven turned in her lap and pushed the book into Luna's face urgently.

"Can you read it? Right there? Can you?" She exclaimed, rushing herself with excitement.

"No, Raven. Not when it's that close."