Chapter 11

The jagged lines of which had swarmed Lexa's back had faded, the new blood curing her of those pixilated right angles. Clarke bit her nails anxiously as Abby pulled the sleeping brunette's shirt down, and carefully rolled her onto her back. Luna sat on the other side of the bed, hand millimetres away from Lexa's fingers as she stared at the girl.

The look of dread in her eyes only seemed to grow as each second passed like a minute; somewhere in the room, a clock slowly ticked its rhythm amongst the darkness. The candle light was tossed to and fro with the light breeze of Clarke's breaths as she leant against the bedside table of which the flame was rested on. She had insisted on lighting one- because Lexa still hated the dark, after all. The mess left behind by Lexa's struggle a few hours before hand had long since been cleaned up, the bent scalpels and shards of glass from broken syringes removed and binned immediately. The room appeared to be just how they found it.

Luna leant forward, resting her chin on her fist as she frowned "We were like sisters, you know?" She said. Even in her quiet voice, it was still a shocking contrast to the silence of the room "We never treated each other like anything less. Yes I had to be more formal with her when she became commander, but she was still Lexa. Still my little sister."

Clarke lifted her head from her arm, brushing back strands of blond from her eyes, to pay more attention to Luna. The wild haired brunette let out a heavy sigh.

"When I first met her, I must have been close to nine years old. She had just turned eight. She had just arrived in Polis... I remember seeing Anya dragging her through the gates by her ear" Luna shook her head "Her family weren't bad people. They were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Anya had a soft spot with her. The only reason why she was dragging her was because she had ate all Anaya's food"

Clarke smiled

"Anyways her mother passed when she was young. So did her father. She never talks about it much, but she still remembers it. She used to dream about her mother when she first arrived with Anya."

The blonde frowned at such a horrible thought. Lexa never had a family for that long. She never had a mother to teach her how to braid her hair or a father to teach her how to build a fire. She had no one.

"She slept on the bottom bunk. She was too short to reach the top, so I slept there instead." Luna chuckled "We trained together, and we spent most nights reflecting on it. We'd point out each other's flaws in our techniques. Soon the discussions switched when we met a girl. Her father was a blacksmith. Anya often bought our swords from him... he was a fantastic craftsman. His daughter was always at his stall with him. She never touched the weapons he sold, or helped him build them. As perplexing as it was, I had never seen her holding a weapon. She always had a notebook in hand."

"Costia" Clarke nodded.

"Yes. I had reached the age of 16 by the time we met her. Anya had began letting us go to the blacksmith ourselves to get things. When we showed up, she was there. She was balanced on the table, writing some notes, weaving cotton together to make a candle wick."

"So that's where Lexa's obsession came from, huh" Clarke and Luna chuckled with one another for a moment.

"Lexa sweated profusely that day. She blamed it on the heat. But the fact that she was a stuttering mess as soon as Costia began a conversation with her made me think otherwise."

"Was it really a warm day?" Clarke asked, a grin on her face.

"Of course not. The weather was miserable" Clarke laughed ever so slightly, and Luna continued "that night, we gave up talking about which punch hurt the most, or which arrow was the moist accurate. We spoke about us. Our real interests... everything. My love for the sea, her love for the forests."