Chapter 8

Leaning against the rear doors of the rover, Clarke sighed. The scenery which Polis looked over was purely breathtaking. With fields stretching far to the slow-quilted mountains, and woods with trees that stood straight and tall. The sound of the water that carefully and calmly weaved its way through the centre of the scenery almost had the blonde forgetting why she was there. The colors all mixed into one, and Clarke found herself longing for her paints.

However, as Lexa strode her way through knee-length grass, she realised that the commander's beauty dominated that of nature. Her eyes stood out to be far more greener than any blade of grass, and her hair was only a small tone darker than the bark of the trees behind her. And even though Lexa was only one woman, Clarke had no doubt that the commander was just as powerful of nature itself. She could stare Mother Nature in the eye, and not back down.

Niylah scrambled behind the brunette, looking like nothing more than a scared animal. Clarke tipped her head to the side as she wondered what on Earth Lexa had done to the poor woman. It would have most likely been smart for Niylah to stay with Raven and Luna.

"Are we ready?" Lexa asked as she neared Clarke and Octavia.

"I hope so" Octavia lifted her arm to crack a distressed bone in her shoulder "Remind me why Niylah is here again?"

"She insisted on coming" Lexa grumbled. Niylah looked up at her like a kicked puppy. Although she most likely was kicked. Multiple times by Lexa already. For what reason, she was still waiting to find out. But she had a feeling it was about Niylah's close relation to Clarke after her death.

"I wanted to ensure that medical attention can be provided as quick as possible." Niylah added

"And Clarke is well trained in that specific area"

"And what if it's her who's hurt?" Niylah countered

Lexa gritted her teeth and surged towards Niylah "That will never happen"

"And what if this time you're not there to use yourself as a human shield, Lexa?"

The brunette seethed as she gripped Niylahs shirt and shoved her up against the rover with rage. Niylah's eyes went wide as she stared at the other woman, knowing she had crossed a dangerous line "Maybe I can just use you as that shield. It most certainly wouldn't be a waste would it?"

Clarke was the first to grab Lexa's arm and pull her back. Lexa's grip loosened from Niylah, and her hands immediately dropped to her sides. Green eyes searched her own.

"Lexa, we can talk about this later. Right now, this is about getting Bellamy out. Okay?" Lexa tugged her arm away, but Clarke only grabbed onto it again "Okay?" She repeated.

Lexa glanced to the side at Niylah once again. The muscles in her jaw relaxed as she gave into the blonde "Okay" she mumbled.

Clarke let go and Lexa corrected her posture, straightening her back and sighing as she returned to her calm and collected state. With a lone nod, she proceeded towards Polis, and the group shortly followed her.

She was unsure of what had changed more over time: Lexa, or the world around them. But now, everything felt different. Lexa was acting different, Clarke was acting different. Yet the worry she felt for that was nowhere near the top of her list. What was, however, at the top, was the worry for Lexa's life. The blonde could never go through the same torture she went though after losing the girl she loved again. She couldn't cope with the false hope of a happy life dangled before her eyes before being snatched away once again. Raising her hand, she scratched her chin in thought as thoughts of possible solutions scoured through her head.