Chapter 12

When Lexa was awake, Clarke immediately rushed to see her. Yet she was stopped at the door by Bellamy, who only shook his head with a melancholic expression on his face. Luna was stood beside him, looking just as despondent.

"What?" Clarke looked between them "She's awake, right?"

Bellamy sighed "Clarke..."

She interrupted him quickly "No Bellamy, don't 'Clarke' me. Why won't you let me inside?"

Clarke reached for the handle of the infirmary, but Bellamy's hand locked tightly around her wrist "Clarke, I don't think you understand the problem here."

"Then why don't you just tell me?" She said through gritted teeth, her tone vicious.

"She attacked Bellamy, Clarke" Luna said from her position, propped up against the wall, legs splayed out in front of her. She looked lost- a puppet with no strings. Helpless.

Bellamy sighed "Look, she doesn't trust us. If either of you go in, I don't know what could happen. She's in there now, having tests to make sure her vitals are as normal as they should be."

"Is my mom in there with her?"

"Yes. But there's a couple of guards in there to make sure she's okay."

"She's not a prisoner you know, Bellamy" Clarke looked at her feet "They're treating her like she did something wrong. She didn't. We did. You can't blame her for being angry."

She took a deep breath and stared at the door for a moment. Her mind whirled, as she weighed her options. She could turn and walk away from Lexa or she could walk in and face her. She sighed and scratched her chin.

She knew first hand, that Lexa was a terror to face alone when she was angry; it was an experience she had from all those years ago when she first met her. But the fact was, Clarke would willingly admit that something told her she was safe- even when Lexa was sat so menacingly on her throne, dagger twirling between her fingers as if she was ready to launch it directly into her heart. Even when Lexa seemed so high, and Clarke seemed so low, she felt an undeniable sense of safety.

Clenched her fists and pushed past Bellamy, her shoulder roughly tossing him aside. She headed straight for the door.

"Clarke, what are you doing?" Luna exclaimed.

Clarke ignored her, and swung the door open. Like Lexa always did, she held her head high. She looked proud- brave; on the side, she shook like a leaf in a hurricane. But all of her pretence suddenly fell, when she found two green eyes staring back at her.

Jasper fumbled quietly in the corner of the room, obviously also being treated by Abby. Clarke didn't have to look to know he was there. The sound of his music softly playing through his headphones gave her enough evidence of his presence.

Lexa's arm slowly lowered from where Abby was testing her blood pressure, an angry gaze fixed on Clarke. The blonde opened her mouth to speak, and nothing but silence replaced her words. The two women did nothing but stare at each other. Watching- waiting. Clarke hesitantly stepped forward, hands quivering as nerves overcame her. Lexa, however, took two long steps back, and her untrusting eyes never once left the girl in front of her.

It took Clarke no longer than a couple of short-lived seconds to see straight through Lexa's masked emotions. Like always, the brunette's eyes gave her away, and Clarke could read them like a book. She bit her lip as she watched the fear and hurt do nothing but grow in the glazed eyes of the woman she loved.