Chapter 23 (Epilogue Part 2)

Lexa's knees dug into the dirt, her hands peeling from the sudden use of tools. A small drop of blood seeped from the crease of her hand, slowly gliding down the length of her finger and jumping to the ground from her fingertip. She wiped the sweat from her forehead, taking a deep breath.

Ever so carefully, she poured the grounder mix of concrete into the hole she had dug, swiping at it with a slate to flatten it. She stood with confidence, lifting up the tall heavy log she had recently cut. Bending her knees slightly, she let it stand in the concrete, a dull ache in her back as she held it straight. After using rope to keep her log steady, she let go, and flattened the concrete once more.

Lexa has grown fond of the building work she had seen throughout the clans, and had decided to take on some herself. So far, it had turned out to be more enjoyable than she realised. It was nice to work hard with something again, even if that something was not winning a war.

"Lex?"

Lexa jumped, the dull ache in her back suddenly leaping at her spine. She winced.

"Yes, Clarke?" She turned

"Are you having trouble with your back again?"

Lexa straightened her posture, feeling the light grind and pop of the sore bones. "Of course not, Clarke. I'm fine"

Clarke rolled her eyes, holding out her hand for Lexa to take. Obviously, without hesitation, the commander slid her fingers into the soft skin of her hand.

"Lex, who am I?"

Lexa's brows furrowed "You're... Clarke?"

"Clarke who?"

She stared "Clarke Griffin, second in command of the United 13 Clans including Skaikru and Azgeda. Wife to Lexa Kom Trikru, mother of Amell kom skaikru and trikru, as well as Cora kom skaikru and trikru. Daughter of doctor Abby Griffin and Jake Griffin"

Clarke watched her wife, dumbfounded "Lexa... I just meant that I'm your wife."

"That... I knew that." She scuffed her feet across the concrete dust left in the ground

"What I was trying to say is, I know you. Love, I can see it in your eyes." Clarke ran her hand up Lexa's arm "Come inside, we can get someone else to do this later."

"Clarke I would like to do this. It is for the children."

"Lex-"

"Clarke, please. They both need somewhere to expand their own minds in their own way"

"They can do that in our home, love"

"No, Clarke. This is somewhere that they can make theirs, and use it for their own interests."

Clarke sighed, glancing back towards the skeleton of the hut. Her heart throbbed; the brunette was really trying for their children. "Alright. But you have to take breaks, and look after yourself. You're not as young as you were, and all those battles have really worn you down"

"I am not worn down. I am the commander."

"Sure, Lex. Sure. Now come inside"

Giving up on her building work for the moment, lexa nudged the empty bucket to the side with her foot and allowed Clarke to lead her inside, and to the couch.

"Alright, sit" Clarke grasped Lexa's shoulders and pushed lightly, the brunette collapsing into the soft cushions in response with a heavy sigh. She released her grip, and swept her hands beneath Lexa's shirt to brush up and down her still well-toned sides. "Alright, lay down on your front for me"