Chapter 18

Sitting back on her heels, fingertips stained in the dark blue colouring, Lexa grumbled impatiently.

"Clarke if you refuse to sit still I cannot apply this effectively."

The blonde rolled her eyes at Lexa's antics and tucked her blonde locks behind her ears to give Lexa better access. Feeling Lexa's free hand press against her back, she shuffled closer to the brunette. Judging by her immature pout and dissatisfied grunt, Lexa wasn't happy with the results.

Looping her arms loosely around Lexa's neck, she pulled herself into her lap, straddling her with a small smile on her face. She allowed the tips of their noses to brush and pressed her forehead to hers. She sighed, running a finger down Lexa's jaw until she reached her chin, grasping it gently.

"Are you sure you're ready for this?" She whispered, kissing Lexa gently one and then twice for good measure.

"I don't think I'll ever be ready for war anymore." Lexa said quietly against the blondes lips.

Pulling back slightly, Clarke frowned playfully "Say that again and I'll kill you myself. Look at you. You're already in your warpaint. You look more than prepared for this."

"I'm not prepared to loose anyone else I care for" Lexa countered

"Lex, this is the last one. Ever. We're going win this war and we're going home. Where ever that may be. I don't care, as long as it's us, together" Clarke gently kissed her cheek.

Lexa cleared her throat and looked down, searching for the small tub of warpaint "We need to get this done. We don't have much time before we leave."

It was more obvious than ever that Lexa had had enough of their conversation, and was reluctant to continue. Clarke could tell by the way she avoided eye contact at all cost, and focused solely on the paint in her hands. Yet still, Lexa still had a firm grip on her waist preventing her from leaving their position.

Green eyes lifted ever so slightly to apply the paint, dragging her fingertips to paint the outline. It was a simple form, compared to others at least, with angled points presenting the ferocious side of Clarke Griffin.

It was as if Lexa had a case of déjà vu as she watched Clarke's eyes slowly open from where she had painted around them. Blinding blue eyes burned into her own. She could see her, stood before her, surrounded by candles as they stared at one another. Clarke wore a dark dress in the image, and even as Lexa shook the Déjà vu from her mind, she could still hear the traditional trigedasleng music sung by her most trusted musician. Perhaps, Lexa thought, it was the commanders showing what she could have had if she hadn't have been so foolish.

"Lexa?" Clarke whispered, spotting the hesitation in Lexa's eyes as they began to grow clouded with thoughts "What's wrong?"

"Nothing" Lexa responded quickly, shaking her "I just.... I wish for you to swear that you will stay out of harms way. If any harm were to come to you I would never forgive myself, or whoever inflicted it on you."

Clarke laughed at Lexa's extremeties, and her glowing concern "Don't worry, Lexa. Everyone, and I mean everyone, will be safe." Lexa looked down at her hands "hey... hey look at me"

She tipped Lexa's chin up to look at her.

"We will"