Chapter 20

Lexa tugged the reigns back, slowing her horse down to a light trot. After travelling with no sign of movement for at least half an hour, even the smallest shift had her attention. So when she heard the leaves shuffle, and a branch jerk to the side, her eyes narrowed instantly.

"What is it?" Clarke whispered in her ear, arms tightening around her waist

"Wait here" Lexa replied, sliding down from her horse. She motioned to one of the men on his horse to follow her. He obeyed without a second thought.

She clenched her jaw tightly, unsheathing her sword. She raised a hand and motioned for her few archers to draw their bows in preparation of an attack. Lexa wasn't willing to take anymore chances this time, and Pike would die before anyone else did. She was sure of it. She heard the click of Clarke's rifle as she loaded the weapon and propped it against her shoulder, aiming through the scope.

"Show yourself. Immediately." Called the tall man, towering over Lexa from beside her.

Glancing up at him, she felt a rather shameful relief that she was with her and on her side. He jabbed his spear into the shrubs and branches, where the early morning sunlight still couldn't quite reach. There was a moment where he paused, eyes fixated on a spot in the dark, when Lexa took a step closer. A sound she had came to recognise after meeting skaikru met her ears in a hushed whisper. But she still heard it.

"Get down!" She yelled, and all but leapt on the man beside her to pull him to the ground and away from the gunfire. Bullets sprayed above their heads, and many people yelled as they scrambled for cover.

The yellow flashes of light and heavy gunfire had rapidly faded though, and a small group people charged out from the shadows of the trees, reaching the number of 20 people at the highest. But amongst the yelling, Lexa heard something else. Heavy footsteps, heading in the opposite direction of her. Someone was fleeing.

Lifting her head, she glanced over to where she had left Clarke. The horse lay on the ground, a bullet hole gaping in the centre of its head. Clarke lay below it, legs trapped below the heavy weight of the gentle animal. A halo of blonde hair surrounded her head as she jerked to free herself from under the horse.

"Clarke?" She yelled

Clarke let out a frustrated cry, ripping out her gun and aiming as an enemy approached her "I'm fine Lexa! Go after him!" The loud crack sounded as her gun fired.

"Clarke-"

"We can't let him get away again! Go! I'll be fine!"

"I'll help her, you must go Heda."

Lexa hesitated, torn between helping Clarke, and chasing after the only person she knew would run- Pike.

Lexa let out a growl in her own frustration "If she so much as has a scratch on her when I get back, I'll kill you myself." She hissed at him. She softened, looking back at the toppled horse as she saw the fear in the man's eyes installed by her threats "I love her. Please... don't let her get hurt."

"Yes, Heda" Lexa ignored the faint smile on his face as she gave Clarke one final perturbed stare before holding her breath and turning her back on her.

It felt like every stride away from her lover was another planet on her back to carry. She gritted her teeth and powered on into a thunderous sprint, footsteps so heavy with determination even Luna could feel the earth cracking below the heels of her boots all the way from Polis. The muscles in her legs ached with overuse.