Chapter 14

Lexa paced back and forth in her cell, driven to borderline insane at the sounds from the outside world. Those in the cells around her yelled and cheered at the top of their lungs, tugging on the bars with devilish grins on their faces. They howled their murderous intentions at Lexa like she was a piece of meat.

She growled, pushing their threats to the back of her mind as she turned her focus to the window just outside her cell. From her angle, the wasn't a thing she could see outside the glass other than sky. She clenched her teeth and grabbed the cell bars, wedging her foot between them to rest on the door handle. She pulled herself up, gripping the metal tightly incase she fell. She narrowed her eyes at the window.

Outside she could see the army, stretching miles across the land in front of the walls. She could see Pike stood at the back, mounted on a horse that looked far too old for combat. It seemed like Pike wasn't planning to get his hands dirty. Lexa grunted and shook her head. Coward.

She leant as far as she could with the bars restricting her. Octavia was there, stood proudly amongst her people, hands on her hips as she watched the army on the other side of the wall, Lincoln stood beside her. Then she saw the blonde head of hair. Clarke strode directly towards Octavia, back straight as a pole and eyes determined. Pride swelled in Lexa's chest.

She directed her attention back to the room she was in as the shouts grew louder. Turning her head, she watched a guard jog into the room, straight through until she reached Lexa. Her brown hair was messy and tousled from running, light green eyes wide as she stood in front of the commander's cell.

Lexa dropped to the ground, watching the girl carefully until her eyes landed on what she was holding. Lexa's swords were tucked under her arm, the other holding the armour tightly to her chest as she glanced around the room quickly.

"If I let you go, I'm going against the red queen's orders." She said hesitantly "But I trust you. And there's too many of them out there. They might not see it but I do. We need your help, commander."

Lexa stared at her, unsure of what to say to her.

"If I let you go you have to promise to help us." She added.

Lexa stepped back from the bars to give enough space to open the door "Clarke is out there" Lexa said then paused as laughs echoed from the other prisoners "I wouldn't promise anything else."

It seemed to be enough to convince her, and she jumped to unlock the door, keys clattering against the metal she worked "I'm Laura by the way. You don't know me but.. I'm more of a background character in this place."

"Everyone has a place to be. Yours is no different to mine." Lexa said as she stepped out. Savouring the moment of freedom, she stretched her arms out as wide as she could, feeling the tension in her muscles slowly fading.

The rumble of an explosion sent her head spinning in the direction of the window. Moving closer, she could just see the smoke off the tower. Lexa wasn't sure of what it was meant for, only that Raven had been boasting about it almost constantly every time she sat down to eat. She tilted her head as it seemed to grow larger.

She realised then that it wasn't growing larger. It was falling. She took a step back, then two, then more followed. She heard the thunderous crash not far from them, which only began to increase in volume. Lexa turned to Laura, grabbing her arm. She had experienced this with old ruins of ancient earth many times before. The building was collapsing.