Chapter 19

Her knees had began to ache, the ground bellow her finally numbing the joints and making her skin throb. Her eyes burned red from the thick smoke that leaked from the wreckage. Black blood seeped from her overly clenched fists, nails cutting far too deep into her skin.

"Lex" a hand came to gently rest on her shoulder "Lexa you've been here for hours. It's getting dark."

Lexa refused to respond. The flames burned brighter in the dimming light, after all.

"Please, come have something to eat. Get some rest. We can look for survivors in the morning and-"

"No" Lexa grumbled. Her voice was thick with emotion, croaky from the smoke, lost- like her people.

"Lexa please just-"

"I said. No." Lexa pushed the hand from her shoulder and stood, legs weak. She took the reigns of her loyal horse which hadn't once dared to move from where she had left it.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Clarke moved to stand in front of her. She clasped a hand over hers to stop her.

"Let go, Clarke"

"Not until you tell me where you're planning on going."

Lexa clenched her jaw and looked up. That anger she had was slowly burning it's way out. She moved to mount her horse but the blonde gripped her arms to stop her. She turned to Clarke.

"Lexa just wait until day, you're upset I know but just stay." Clarke nearby begged. She gently tugged on her arm, "stay"

Lexa drew her sword and lifted it to Clarke's throat, gripping her shirt in her fist with the other and pinning her against the poor horse's side. Clarke's eyes widened with shock... and fear.

"If you don't let me go, Clarke. I will kill you." Lexa whispered "Don't make me kill you. I have to do this. Don't make me kill you."

"Lexa-"

"Clarke. Please!" Her hands shook, tears rolling down her cheeks. Clarke bit her lip, watching the broken women quiver in a fight against rage and fear within herself.

"You know I'd never hurt you. Right?"

Lexa's voice echoed around Clarke's head like a mantra. Green eyes looked wild as they stared back at her, but they were still hers.

"Lex" she whispered, pouring her heart into the one nickname.

She slowly touched Lexa's arm, pushing it gently away from her. The sword retreated from her throat, and dropped to the floor. She wiped the tears from the brunettes eyes and smiled up at her. That was all it took to bring Lexa back to reality.

The commander dropped to her knees for a second time, and let out a loud sob which echoed further than she could ever allow before. Lexa face clashed into Clarke's abdomen and she cried into her shirt. Clarke ran her fingers through the chestnut hair and sighed, closing her eyes.

"I'm sorry" Lexa sniffed against her "I didn't- I didn't mean-"

"I know." Clarke smiled again

"How?"

"You told me you'd never hurt me. I still believe you."