16

i arrived home not too long after. it only took about 15 minutes to arrive home, and luckily for me it's the usual time i'd be getting back home from school.

when i walked up my driveway, i immediately noticed that my mother's car was parked on the drive meaning she came home early for work.

it made me nervous as i unlocked my front door, as i didn't know how my mother would react to my sudden, drastic makeover.

everything from my hair, it's colour, my clothing style and the fact that im wearing makeup will surprise my mother a lot. 

as i entered my house, my mother was coming down the huge, marble staircase. she was on the phone, probably still working, so she hadn't noticed me yet.
each step down the staircase made me feel more nervous each time, as i stood at the door silent.

"how dare you speak to me that way! you're fired!" my mother growled into the phone as she took the last steps down the steps

so she's not in the best of moods....

"stupid interns". she hissed to herself, still not noticing my presence.

i cleared my throat loudly, as i watched her stop in her tracks and furiously type an email on her phone.

"oh hey sweetie. how wa-" joan, my mom began to say after realising i was home, but stopped as she looked up.

"oh my god!" she shrieked whilst her eyes widened.

my mother dropped her phone on the floor- i cringed as it hit the ground- and rushed over to me.

"cat baby! you look absolutely beautiful!" she screeched.

i sighed in relief and slightly smiled.
my mother scanned the whole of my body and face as she smiled with admiration in her eyes.

"h-how did this happen?" she asked me after taking a step back. 

"a friend helped me". was all i said, referring to sandra and remembering michael's words.

no one can know. 

"wow. is this permanent?" my mother asked me, making me nod in response.

i guess it is, right?
i'm never going back to how i looked before. that's embarrassing.

my mother grinned.
she always used to say to me that it was time to grow up. her main reason for wanting a daughter instead of a son was because she would be able to dress them up elegantly and beautifully. this is a dream come true for her.

joan's phone began to ring from the floor.
she sighed and turned around to pick it up. it wasn't cracked or anything, luckily.

my mom checked who was calling and then rolled her eyes.

"it's important. we'll check and do some shopping later, honey. love you" she said in a rush before beginning to head off in the direction of her work office. 

"wait mom" i said after suddenly remembering.

"did you get a letter about my scholarship?" i asked curiously.

she turned around and nodded quickly. 

"i did ariana". she chuckled.

"you even changed your name". my mother continued, before disappearing into her office.

well that was way too easy.